BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the Shimano Tyrnos and Torium as well as the Daiwa Saltist since they are all in the similar price range. Tyrnos has 33lbs of drag. Saltist has 22lbs of drag (lower gear models). Don't know what the Torium has, but I know it has the same drag washers as the Trinidad. Which one (or which other reel) would you choose? I do know about the Carbontex drag washers I can get for the Saltist as well as the problems with the Torium's anti-reverse prawl.

What is a better gear ratio to use for deep stuff? 4.9:1? 6.4:1? I've heard mixed reviews. Some people said the high gear ratio put more stress/fatigue on them earlier in the trip than others were experiencing with their lower gear ratios. Upon switching to lower gear ratio reels (4.9:1), they felt much better. Other members said that having a high gear ratio for deep bottom fishing is a must.

Some of the numbers I usually see ~850ft deep usually when bottom fishing on headboats and such so what lb test line should the reel be spooled up with? I've heard most headboats don't allow the use of braided line (which is how I'll be getting offshore 80% of the time) which means mono I guess...

Either way, what do you guys suggest? I'll be using this on a St. Croix PM79XXXHF rod mostly to fish the offshore wrecks on headboats such as the Voyager, Paramount, Big Jamaica, Atlantic Star, etc, etc..

Thanks. This offshore thing is getting addicting :)

Brian

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
i used the saltiga 30T for cod, bottom and tuna last year
the lower gear is prefered by me, everybody has their own ideas on that

is that the St Croix rod you need cut up:D
that should make a good bottom rod

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
paul708 said:
i used the saltiga 30T for cod, bottom and tuna last year
the lower gear is prefered by me, everybody has their own ideas on that

is that the St Croix rod you need cut up:D
that should make a good bottom rod
Thanks Paul. I'm trying to pick up one of these reels under $200 so the Saltiga is a little out of my price range, unless I can grab one off ebay for cheap ;) Always a possibility. The only thing I don't like about the Tyrnos is it's weight, but I could always bring two setups and just keep that one always in the rod holder lol.

That would be the rod, yes :p I might pick one up for $100 new.

Don't worry, I'll still have the money for the JPR/OTI deposit ;)

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
we have two avets lx 6.1 ..... alot of guys say its exhausting reeling in big fish, i have not used them bottom fishing, but for tuna them seem to work just fine.

you'll never hit bottom with mono, 100 braid is the wa to go...

most of what i have heard is that the saltist is the best choice.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have both shimanos. Are you ever going to use the reel for trolling too? If yes I'd go tyrnos for the lever drag. If no go with the torium or daiwa. I like the high speed of the torium. For when you have to check your bait or just reel up for any other reason other than fish on cause it's less down time. If you think high speed will hurt a fish you intend to release then just reel a bit slower when he's on.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JerseyBrian3 said:
I have both shimanos. Are you ever going to use the reel for trolling too? If yes I'd go tyrnos for the lever drag..
Good point. I will have an Accurate 665W 2spd reel by summer that will be utilized for jigging to trolling and everything in between so I'll have to put that aspect into consideration as well. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
FishNJ said:
Shimano Torium 30 or the Daiwa Saltist 40
I would suggest the same. You'll be happy with either, but don't overlook the Saltists. They are a good bang for the buck. Definitely go with the lower gear ratio. It may take a few more cranks to get to the top in those depths, but your arm will probably still be functioning for the next drop..:cool:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Investment not necessary

No need to run out and spend all kinds of $$ just to do this..... unless of course you are like most of us and simply want a new toy or have some money to burn.

We have been successful using our TLD-25s..... the same rods we troll with. It really isn't that bad and I will bet you don't even notice the workout when there is a fish on the line.

We also have one set-up with braid, which makes all the difference in the world in feeling the fish hit..... I have felt a 1/2 pound ling hit in 650ft of water like a flounder on mono in 30 ft of water..... Also to note, we use circle hooks, so setting the hook really isn't an issue anyway.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have torium 30 and a saltist 30 in 6 to 1 ratio and aslo have a accurate 665h 2 speed in high is 5 to 1 have caught tilefish with the reels i can't say i noticed a difference in reeling up fish from deepwater but thats just me

·
Registered
238 Posts
TLD is very good for the purpose. I have tld 15 and surprised how powerful its torque is. I wish I had known it before I bought other stuff.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Would the Tyrnos 30 also be adequate for chunking tuna? Or would it be too small?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Fin Nor has a convntional reel they call the offshore. Ot comes in 3 sizes-basically difference in line capacity, and has a really strong drag system. I used them last year and they are beasts. They are also not too heavy, and are priced around $170 I believe.The frames are aluminum and i have personally caught yellowfin up to 100# on them. I alos use them for trollig inshore and for drum and bass chunking and clamming. I used the 16 size but I will be using all 20's this year. They come in 4.1 or 6 to 1 ratio.I do not use 100 braid on them since I think it is overkill and smaller diamter gets down better. but usually have 65 or 80 on them,. I also have used 50 Sufix Performance braid on the reels. The 16 size holds around 500 yds of 50 and slighly less 65.

·
Registered
434 Posts
JerseyBrian said:
haha thanks bud. That's why I made this thread :D Do you prefer a high GR or a lower, power GR?
I should have read closer... I prefer the high gear...

The Toriums only come in the high gear, and I should have specified the Saltist 40H - high gear...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
JerseyBrian said:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Would the Tyrnos 30 also be adequate for chunking tuna? Or would it be too small?
Yes it's fine. I have the 30 tyrnos and it only has like 4lbs less drag than my 50vsw international. Plenty of line capacity. If you need more line than what you can fit on the 30 then you're not going to turn the fish anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts