BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a St. Croix Tidemaster 6'6" 3 piece Medium Light action casting rod which I would like to use primarily for bumping the bottom for light tackle fluking/weakies up here in Jersey and also using it as a light tackle outfit for baitfishing the reefs off the Florida Keys and South Florida (Miami) for Yellowtail and Mangrove Snappers, small Sierra, Cero and King Macks...

Looking for a reel that would compliment this rod!

Any comments or other suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
If you are going to use braid, the aluminum oxide insert might not hold up too well.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I heard the new quantum baitcasting reels are sweet and super fast (7.1-1 for some of them). Sounds like a possible match..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Fresh215 said:
I heard the new quantum baitcasting reels are sweet and super fast (7.1-1 for some of them). Sounds like a possible match..:rolleyes:
They are super sweet, and super expensive!! I really need to get one soon.

RyanF

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly, after browsing the booths of the Saltwater Expo last night, I'm leaning towards getting a single speed Avet Sx :p I just couldn't get another reel to beat it in all the things I was looking for! I just love'em!

basspirate said:
okuma is bad news
ouch, didn't know that

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can vouch for the Abu Garcia Record 60. Its ergonomics and overall design are awesom. I realy feel like i got a much more expensive reel. My buddy has the C3 and it is a quality piece as well.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Avet sx...if that is out of your budget, then the abu garcia 5500 or 6500. I have the 5500? (not sure on the number) 5 something...it's red. I have had it for 2-3 seasons with 20lb braid and it is good. I have two Okumas with star drags and let me tell you they are junk. I fished them about 4 times and the chrome started to pit and flake off. I would stay away from the cheaper ones(Titus and Gold not included)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Shimano Curado DSV- better than my old curados which are still in service, and have caught many, many fish. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Outdoors said:
Shimano Curado DSV- better than my old curados which are still in service, and have caught many, many fish. You get what you pay for.
Very badass reel! I've seen Larry Dahlberg slay 40lb Golden Dorado with that baby :D

Money isn't an issue as much as wanting a very compact/stout reel. I'm swaying on either the Avet Sx or the PENN 975 LD...maybe even a used, small Accurate if I can find one on ebay for ~$225.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts