BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for suggestions on the best way to repair the cork handles on an old style boat rod. The forward Cork has seperated from the blank and turns but won't slide forward because of a cemented stop. Anyone ever try injecting glue or epoxy through the cork to re affix it? I was thinking maybe a heavy hypodermic needle or maybe even an inflation needle like for a basketball to try and get enough epoxy into the blank area to see if it will hold.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump...Is my suggested approach the only answer? I was hoping for a big easy fix it button:):)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I can think of 3 options. First try what you are thinking. I have done this with both cork and foam and it does work if you have the space to get enough glue in there. Seceond, get rid of the cemented stop so you can slide the grip forward. Last, but I wouldn't recommend becasue it is a pain, is cut off the grip and replace with the individual cork rings that you can cut in half and glue around the blank. You then shape these with sand paper.

·
Registered
51 Posts
cork grip

another option....if you don't mind stripping the old cork off, which shouldn't be too hard if it is spinning, and use cork tape. I like to seal the cork tape on either side just as if i am wrapping a rod and then epoxy over. It look great and will last.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts