BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with one of my rods that has popped up recently, when hooking or fighting a fish on one of my custom trolling rods the reel seat and reel spins out of alignment with the guides. Is there a quick fix for this problem or will it need profesional help? It started last year when I was trolling umbrella rigs for stripers and caught 4 fish at once, this year while tuna trolling I caught some bonita and the whole reel turned about 90 degrees to the guides. Thanks Vinny

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I had a rod did that. I drilled a small whole under were the the ring that you tighten would be so you could not see it. Mix up a good epoxy(I used west marine because I had a gallon) and shot it in there with a syringe. Stand the rod up and let it harded. Good as new. Also if you can get it in under the foam and the handle is not filled in you can slip it under the handle that way also. This might not work if the handle was filled up with epoxy when made then there would be no contact between the rod and reel seat.
I had one were I cut the foam off and carefulley split the handle with a dremel then heated it up with a heat gun(not to hot) and pulled it off. Put new seat on then new foam.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Is it a custom or factory rod,Alum seat or Graphite you can try injecting epoxy under the Seat, but use long cure not 5 min. try geting a Syringe with a large bore tip or use a piece of tubing (wawa coffee stirrer)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
If it's a good rod that you will continue to use, I would have it professionaly done. The bottom grip needs to be removed and the reel seat completely reglued. I had this done for one of my stand-up rods and was happy with the results.

·
Registered
31,420 Posts
The builder should be able to fix it.

You usually can shoot some more epoxy in there. Taking the butt grip off is not always the best approach. Depends on the sizing of the blank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts