BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in PA and just bought a boat from a person in NJ. I heard before you should register the boat in the state you plan to use it the most. I plan to use it at the NJ shore. If I register it in NJ, I can leave the numbers in place on the boat. Looking at the NJ MV site, it states that I need a notorized bill of sale along with the title to register the boat in NJ. Appreciate anyone's comments regarding the least hassle way of doing this. Thanks -

·
Registered
78 Posts
There was a thread about this last week I think in the Tackle Box. I just transferred my DL registration to NJ. If you just bought the boat you most likely will need a notarized bill of sale. I don't think you can reuse the current registration numbers as you will be issued new ones along with the NJ registration. Be prepared to have multiple forms of identity including but not limited to Birth Cert or Passport, Drivers License, Major Credit Card, Medical insurance card and a mortgage statement with the address that matches your drivers lic. (not kidding). I think it is called the 6 points of identification. Having the notarized bill of sale and the 6 points of ID will save you a 2nd trip. This was not mentioned on the DMV web site.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Federal law requires registration in the state of principle use. NJ if you put it in a slip, PA if you trailer.
You can re-use the numbers if you have the old reg and reg in NJ.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Do not forget the trailer! You will also need a notorized bill of sale for it as well. On it they want the ID number, date of manufacture & cost. In my recent experience, I was not hasteled for 6 forms of ID. Just my picture drivers license and auto registration were needed.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice - I will use the boat in NJ and trailer it back to a campground in NJ. I just figured if I registered it in NJ, it would save me from changing the numbers on the boat, if they allow you to keep the same numbers as they do in PA. As for the trailer, I planned on registering it in PA, the same as my other trailers. Hopefully, I'm not making this too complicated -

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you bought a boat that was registered in you should have received the title from the owner.
On the back of the title is a place for the owner to sign over the title to you. You will have to pay NJ sales tax 6%. You do not need to change the numbers on the boat, when you fill out the form for a new registration there is a location to enter the numbers that are currently on the boat. Of course all of this is assuming that the boat was last registered in NJ.

I dont think you need a notorized bill of sale but to be safe call MVS
Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts