BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the cod and pollock and porgy offshore trips have been inundated with giant seabass pests; Have to go through like 10 seabass to catch 1 porgy..
seabass get vented and returned; but I wonder what the mortality rate is in that depth. Hope we are not doing more harm than good;;;

·
Registered
822 Posts
There is a device (unk name) that is nothing more than a wire bent in a downward direction attached to a significant weight on a separate rod and reel. It takes a bit of time but you put that wire through the lower jaw of the SB and lower it to the bottom. A gentle lift and the fish is free and (hopefully) deflated. I don't know of any divers who have actually seen the results. I know that there are several here. It would be great to know if the device works as it is said to work. It is a simple, non invasive system. It does take a bit of time but I believe that most real fishermen would be glad to take the time to keep the population healthy.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
What I do is when it feels like a throw back I reel it up slowly. It seems to help...

I'dlike to know this too. Is the survival rate the same whether vented or nott???

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
What I do is when it feels like a throw back I reel it up slowly. It seems to help...

I'dlike to know this too. Is the survival rate the same whether vented or nott???
On Saturday, I found that reeling them up slower did not really make a difference unfortunately. The only thing I really tried to do was not to swing at what I thought were sea bass hits. I know I probably missed quite a few porgies and possibly other fish that I could have boxed, but it wasn't that big of a deal. Maybe just maybe I saved a few bsb since I didn't swing at 'em!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I hope that NOAA knows that it has implemented a rule which will still have a mortality rate due to By-Catch.Agreed that they are not targeted and that less will be caught,but to throw back a beautiful hump-back that will have a high probablity of being eaten by Bottom Feeders is a crime in itself fostered by NOAA and is no fault of fellow fisherman. What a waste of resource!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
some tests have been done by a captain out of maryland, monty hawkins on the morningstar , he has tagged the fish that he de-aired so to speak and he report a very high recovery rate when done properly.

oh well the feds won't listen anyway

The Beav

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.