Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[email protected] | Add to Contacts Edit Contact

Today, Saturday, Jan 14 04:05 AM | Show Details | View source

reply-to [email protected]to [email protected]cc bcc

Saltwater Anglers: Register Now With Saltwater Recreational Registry Program

Save All javascript:;

Images are not displayed
Display Images

The New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife reminds all saltwater anglers they must register with the New Jersey Saltwater Recreational Registry Program (NJSRRP) prior to fishing in 2012. Anglers who registered in 2011 are reminded that registrations exp

·
Registered
14,828 Posts
I got that email too, why would they not include a link to it so it would be easier?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I registered myself and my father. There are sooo many people that have no idea they need to register with NOAA. My father had no idea. Our local bait shop does not have a sign or any information about it. My dad makes sure to pick up a current pamphlet with the years regs and he reads that.

Just saying....I wonder how many people have no idea about this. Also wonder who really enforces it because I had a game warden approach me on LP pier and all he wanted to do was look in my bucket which was empty.

Took me a second to register and print the cards for my dad and me. I will probably do it for the a couple of my friends and brothers that I take fishing. You don't need your SSN to do it. I didn't use my real one. I used all real info except that. I don't know NOAA well enough to pass that info on to them. I don't feel comfortable sending that even though there is an SSL connection.

-Matt

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Got mine last year but is it really necessary? Is there a fine possible. I got so many licenses and registrations my head is spinning. Delaware, Florida, NJ fresh water, tuna, crabs, clam, striper bonus, crawfish, registration for three boats and their trailers. Never had anyone ask to see any of them!

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Got mine last year but is it really necessary? Is there a fine possible. I got so many licenses and registrations my head is spinning. Delaware, Florida, NJ fresh water, tuna, crabs, clam, striper bonus, crawfish, registration for three boats and their trailers. Never had anyone ask to see any of them!
There absolutely is a fine possible. NJ just recently lowered the fine amount (from a ridiculous number in the thousands) to a very "reasonable" amount that they will have no moral problem imposing on you if they catch you unregistered.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Can any one explain to me the real reason for all this madness? Who and what is the benefit that comes out of it all? Any one have a guess?

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Can any one explain to me the real reason for all this madness? Who and what is the benefit that comes out of it all? Any one have a guess?
There are official reasons and reality reasons.

Reality is that the entire system for monitoring/controlling fisheries management completely sucks and is based on hidden agendas and intentionally skewed/flawed math. But that is all opinion, so.........

Official reasons.

1. NOAA requires that all anglers be "registered" (which is different from "licensed"). It can be state or Federal.
2. Anglers in any state that does not a state registry are required to participate in the "Federal Registry". In NJ we had to do this 2 years ago, and while free the first year, there was a fee for anyone that registered the second year.
3. NJ created it's own "Registry" (not license) last year, relieving it's residents of the requirement to participate in the Federal Registry. Additionally, the state made it free; a controversial decision.
4. The State of NJ requires that you participate in the State Registry. NOAA's is no longer recognized in this state by state COs.
5. NOAA requires that you participate in theirs (useless in NJ) or in your state's (if your state has one, and now we do).

In theory, officially, being "registered" allows fisheries management entities to contact you, survey your catch, and use that info to help determine all kinds of "fisheries management" decisions. (Biomass, fish stocks, quotas, etc)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.