BASS BARN banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
62,423 Posts
Got mine last year but is it really necessary? Is there a fine possible. I got so many licenses and registrations my head is spinning. Delaware, Florida, NJ fresh water, tuna, crabs, clam, striper bonus, crawfish, registration for three boats and their trailers. Never had anyone ask to see any of them!
There absolutely is a fine possible. NJ just recently lowered the fine amount (from a ridiculous number in the thousands) to a very "reasonable" amount that they will have no moral problem imposing on you if they catch you unregistered.

· Registered
62,423 Posts
Can any one explain to me the real reason for all this madness? Who and what is the benefit that comes out of it all? Any one have a guess?
There are official reasons and reality reasons.

Reality is that the entire system for monitoring/controlling fisheries management completely sucks and is based on hidden agendas and intentionally skewed/flawed math. But that is all opinion, so.........

Official reasons.

1. NOAA requires that all anglers be "registered" (which is different from "licensed"). It can be state or Federal.
2. Anglers in any state that does not a state registry are required to participate in the "Federal Registry". In NJ we had to do this 2 years ago, and while free the first year, there was a fee for anyone that registered the second year.
3. NJ created it's own "Registry" (not license) last year, relieving it's residents of the requirement to participate in the Federal Registry. Additionally, the state made it free; a controversial decision.
4. The State of NJ requires that you participate in the State Registry. NOAA's is no longer recognized in this state by state COs.
5. NOAA requires that you participate in theirs (useless in NJ) or in your state's (if your state has one, and now we do).

In theory, officially, being "registered" allows fisheries management entities to contact you, survey your catch, and use that info to help determine all kinds of "fisheries management" decisions. (Biomass, fish stocks, quotas, etc)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.