BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know any products that will remove the glue left behind when you remove decals. i used a heat gun and a plactic decal remover but it left the glue. i tried goo b gone, interlux 216, gas the only thing i didn't try was a little on/off i know it strips the water stains and rust pretty well. it's the grady white logo and i am replacing it. so i need it clean.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Annak Is Right But It Spelled Acetone It Takes It Off Quick

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
Prep solve from an auto supply store. It is used to clean EVERYTHING off of a car before you paint it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks i'll try the acetone if that don't work then the prep solve this glue is like cement. i know people have done it before just looking for the sure fire way to do it without damaging the gelcoat

·
Registered
275 Posts
Lots of water after

fearnofish said:
thanks i'll try the acetone if that don't work then the prep solve this glue is like cement. i know people have done it before just looking for the sure fire way to do it without damaging the gelcoat
Make sure that you wash it off well with lots of water after you apply the Acetone.

Mike

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so you also recommend it. will it clean it for sure. i also heard to try Collinite hull cleaner no 920 will do it but i'll have to re-wax the whole boat i just did that today. 4 hrs spent on the compound and wax. not trying to do it all over

=Fishinginfo]Make sure that you wash it off well with lots of water after you apply the Acetone.

Mike[/quote]

·
Registered
145 Posts
glue remover

Ditto on acetone...It should definately do the job...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I use Dupont #3812 Fast Dry Enamel Reducer. Purchased at any auto body supply that sells Dupont Products. I saturate a cloth, wipe over it to soften it and take a plastic squeegee and scrape it in one pass.
Any remaining, just take the wet cloth again and wipe off. I've done hundreds of them this way. Capt.Matt

·
Registered
474 Posts
Adhesive remover

Prep solve, Wax and grease remover,3 M adhesive remover, all of these will work. The secret is to keep wetting the area with a cloth and then it will soften the glue. I recomend doing a small area, around 12" at a time. I have a autobody shop and have been doing this for years.Lacquer thinner will work faster and not damage the gel coat but use caution around other areas such as the boot stripe or other painted areas. In no way should you use oil or WD 40 if you want to put new decals in the same area. The oil could get into the gelcoat and you would have a hard time getting the new decals to adhere!

·
Registered
938 Posts
this is going to sound funny but, it works.
hit the mrs. make-up cabinet and look for Nail Polish Remover.
the stuff works great, and it won't cost ya a dime.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Decals

I have used adhesive remover in the past and it worked well, in fact, I will use it again this season when I replace my registration decals. It's available at most marine centers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts