BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Photos of some of the "offshore spinners" maxed out and spools dumped under 30-40 pounds of drag. Took apart 4, 18000F's last night, most of the bottom drag washers were fried into the spool and stuck. Quick fix thanks to Shimano's speedy service and the new carbon washers. Last photo is the triples.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Photos of some of the "offshore spinners" maxed out and spools dumped under 30-40 pounds of drag. Took apart 4, 18000F's last night, most of the bottom drag washers were fried into the spool and stuck. Quick fix thanks to Shimano's speedy service and the new carbon washers.
Oh, ok. You didn't have the new washers in there yet? I thought you did.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take the spool off, pop the star clip, (steel washers are in a set order so be careful to keep them in that order) if the washers are carbon material you are good. Not sure what mine where actually made of. If you get the replacement drag washers from Shimano no grease required as they stated they are already lightly greased. They may also give you a new drag knob if your has melted (rare). Our knobs were ok.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Call shimano customer service. You'll be on hold about 10-15 minutes. Tell em what model saragossa you have, and you want the upgraded drag because you fried yours. Most likely you have the old drag. Take it a part. if the washers are plastic they are the old style. If they are carbon fiber they are the new style.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Chris, yes its the Fin Nor 085. We had 4 of them last year but two broke (anti reverse went) on the small fish so I returned all of them and bought the 18000F's. The one that Jay owns still seems ok even after the *** kicking it took down there. He was locked up for over 5 hours total fish time at max drag and it still performed flawlessly. Time will tell and a gear inspection is in order. Personally I moved on (perhaps prematurely) after the anti reverse issues. Maybe I had a bad batch or Monday reels. Overall, the 085 felt stronger then the 18000F and the Fin Nor 095 is probably a beast for the price. Sorry for the confusing answer.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Capt Mike and others concerning the Saragosa 18000 F reels

I met with the Shimano Tech Rep who has specialized in repairs and upgrading their line of spinning reels at their American Headquarters in Irvine, CA yesterday afternoon. We had a pretty in-depth conversation about the Saragosa reels in question plus I supplied him with some feedback on the reels I have gotten recently. I took one of my older Saragosa 18000 F reels to them in 2008 and it was upgraded to the new drags washers but we honestly did not get a chance last season to try it out jigging on the bigger Bluefin as we used all Stella’s and Accurate conventionals on our boat plus we had a shorter season on them since the area we fish for the larger BFT over 150 lbs got far too warm in early August to hold the bigger BFT schools. I was waiting for the fall night bite to use the Saragosa reels on the smaller canyon Yellowfins but that never happened so we never really got the chance last year to try the Saragosa's with the upgraded drag washers. It was my opinion these new factory drag washers were not carbon fiber but another material so I wonder how Smoooth-Drags would work in the reels and forgot to ask that question.
These reels do have duel drags and should be serviced annually if they see a decent amount of action on bigger tuna. There was no upgraded handle from the factory that Shimano out here was aware of at least on any recent models of the reels. Shimano would like to see any reels that have had failures and would appreciate having them sent back to them here in their headquarters in CA. I believe they will stand by their tackle 100% for those that have had issues with any of their tackle.
I expect that we will hear shortly from a Shimano Representative on this issue and it would not surprise me if a post is not put up right here on the Barn as Shimano is dedicated to customer service and in today's world jigging is a very big and important piece of business for all tackle manufactures especially on the East Coast.
On a side note: I got a call from a fellow NJ angler who recently returned home from California and he actually did some striper fishing just north of LA. He told me they were into stripers up to 60 lbs that had migrated down from the Russian River in Northern CA through the California Aqueduct system that brings fresh water down from the mountains in Northern CA. They have now taken up residence in Southern CA from what was told to me are flourishing.
On Tuna fishing off Hatteras: I just got a call this morning form one of the mates I know that fishes out of Morehead City, NC on a private boat and they ran 73 miles north of the slot inside the Knuckle Buoy and put together an awesome tuna catch on Monday. They had 6 Blackfin, 6 yellowfin and somewhere between 6-10 bigger Bluefins which they kept the smallest just over 100 lbs as they prefer eating the smaller ones versus the 200 lbers. At one time all 8 of their trolling lines went off with tuna of all sizes. The tuna were all mixed together just north of the Hatteras Rock Pile on the temperature break. This morning the guys are starting to rig for Blue Marlin and Sailfish as that is what they primarily target and they expect them to show up soon of the OBX. We are having the Hooked Up 11 upgraded now down there at True World Marine next to Jarrett Bay and expect to be back in the water in a few weeks and will running bottom fishing trips for Sea Bass and offshore trips for Marlin, Mahi, Yellowfins and Wahoo before returning to Cape May and starting our spring stripers and Black Drum in early May.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.