BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On Sunday, March 7, team Renegade Sportfishing headed south to Hatteras, NC to kickoff the spring bluefin season while performing some light tackle R&D for our up coming season. We casted off at 6am under light north winds and very cool temps. Run out was only 22 miles where we found a 28 degree temp break, from 42 to 70 degrees, no joke, looked like a blue steam bath. Capt found some scattered marks and idled down. We jigged for about 25 minutes with no takers, Capt suggested we go on the troll like the other dozen sportys since they were hooking up, we said no, give it sometime, this was a jigging only trip. We were suprised that jigging is not very popular down there but is starting to catch on. No less then 3 minutes later Capt Mike is locked up, then JT, then BP. First two fish were in the 70 pound class, JT's fish was not and was fought for over 2.5 hours on the Fin Nor 085 while backing down for 3 miles, leadered twice, passed off 15 times and almost landed but lost after the Shimano wind on leader parted. Fish was estimated at 225-240 pounds. JT was not happy. As the day continued fishing only got better with triples and quadruples all day long. Yes it was drop and reel. We boated and tagged 8, killed 1 which weighed 165 pds at 70 inches, we fought a total of 40 fish with most battles lasting 45 minutes to an hour under maximum drag and circling Hammer Heads. Average weight was 125-175 with a few over 200pds. We also spotted many surface cruising BFT all over 150 pounds. We forgot to bring poppers. Also forget to mention the several hookups we had on the drop, more then a situation on how to close the bails with braid zipping off at 20 feet a second, serious wakeup call. Lucky no amputations.

The Trevela's performed excellent, the Saragosa 18000F were ok for fish under 125 pounds but drags were fried on all 4 new reels, the Fin Nor 085 held its own and was a little stronger then the Saragosa, the Evolution Slick Stick pole shattered leaving JT with a finger full of glass, the Torsa 30 was our best light tackle reel on the Trevela. Excellent Capt, mate and crew. We are heading back in two weeks and hope to find a mix of bluefin and yellowfin. Sorry for the long post.

Capt. MC

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
On Sunday, March 7, team Renegade Sportfishing headed south to Hatteras, NC to kickoff the spring bluefin season while performing some light tackle R&D for our up coming season. We casted off at 6am under light north winds and very cool temps. Run out was only 22 miles where we found a 28 degree temp break, from 42 to 70 degrees, no joke, looked like a blue steam bath. Capt found some scattered marks and idled down. We jigged for about 25 minutes with no takers, Capt suggested we go on the troll like the other dozen sportys since they were hooking up, we said no, give it sometime, this was a jigging only trip. We were suprised that jigging is not very popular down there but is starting to catch on. No less then 3 minutes later Capt Mike is locked up, then JT, then BP. First two fish were in the 70 pound class, JT's fish was not and was fought for over 2.5 hours on the Fin Nor 085 while backing down for 3 miles, leadered twice, passed off 15 times and almost landed but lost after the Shimano wind on leader parted. Fish was estimated at 225-240 pounds. JT was not happy. As the day continued fishing only got better with triples and quadruples all day long. Yes it was drop and reel. We boated and tagged 8, killed 1 which weighed 165 pds at 70 inches, we fought a total of 40 fish with most battles lasting 45 minutes to an hour under maximum drag and circling Hammer Heads. Average weight was 125-175 with a few over 200pds. We also spotted many surface cruising BFT all over 150 pounds. We forgot to bring poppers.

The Trevela's performed excellent, the Saragosa 18000F were ok for fish under 125 pounds but drags were fried on all 4 new reels, the Fin Nor 085 held its own and was a little stronger then the Saragosa, the Evolution Slick Stick pole shattered leaving JT with a finger full of glass, the Torsa 30 was our best light tackle reel on the Trevela. Excellent Capt, mate and crew. We are heading back in two weeks and hope to find a mix of bluefin and yellowfin. Sorry for the long post.

Capt. MC

That is not good :eek::eek::eek: Were these reels updated with the new drag knobs and drag washers from Shimano? Capt Rob

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chris. I hope we see these fish up here. Worst case, just take the 9 hour drive. At least they aren't heading south anymore.

The Saragoss'a were all purchased w/i the last 9 months. Shimano is a great company and sent me 5 carbon washers and kits free of charge no questions asked. Not sure of the date of manufacture on the ones I bought.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Was about to say the same thing. I think we had a 65 incher that weighed that much this summer. Just curious, what type of jigs were you using there? My friend is about to take a trip south and is gearing up.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Thanks Chris. I hope we see these fish up here. Worst case, just take the 9 hour drive. At least they aren't heading south anymore.

The Saragoss'a were all purchased w/i the last 9 months. Shimano is a great company and sent me 5 carbon washers and kits free of charge no questions asked. Not sure of the date of manufacture on the ones I bought.

Thanks for the comeback Capt Mike!!:thumbsup: They did the same for me, called them last Tuesday, had the new parts in the mailbox Friday, Hope this takes care of the problem. Do you happen to know what the drag settings were on the reels that failed? Thanks again. Capt Rob

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
thanks for the report, looks like a great day.

a 165# is very skinny for a 70" fish. wonder what they are eating
Yeah, maybe after eating for a few more months he/she might pack on a few more pounds. Most of the ones we see are pretty plump and not too lean. They had a 1/2" of gristle under their skin!

Regardless, you guys had a killler day! I might be heading down there for Thurs...

Renegade, What jigs and colors produced best?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Weight / length issue, most fish that are caught are empty and very lean. Our fish and most are empty. Our Capt also said he does not know if they are feeding, not much bait in the area so they are hungry. Regarding the drag settings, sort of funny, max out and locked, its dangerous, no joke and have a knife ready, spools are dumped till they hit bottom 900 feet and then they stop, fight for inches of line, great on the back with no harness. Reels and poles sound like they are ready to explode and one did. We used all Shimano heavy butterfly flatside jigs, every color worked including those with no paint left on them. It is stupid fishing down there right now. We fished on a non sponsor boat so not sure I can release the boats name so PM me if you need it. Any tuna boat out of Odens Dock or Hatteras Village will work.

Capt. MC

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really have my doubts that the Stella would be THAT much better (obviously a little) then the 18000F, rod wraps or some type of harness would help a lot more. Not sure if they are made for a Trevala or not, I have never seen one, anyone know?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I really have my doubts that the Stella would be THAT much better (obviously a little) then the 18000F, rod wraps or some type of harness would help a lot more. Not sure if they are made for a Trevala or not, I have never seen one, anyone know?
I read alot of different jigging forums and I have heard of very few Stellas failing and lots of saragosa's.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
They are! I've personally witnessed it myself! And they should be for the price! I really liked the Accurate spinner that we used this past summer!

I have a brand new Saragosa. I may not even use it if this is gonna be what happens. It's never even been on a boat!

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
They are! I've personally witnessed it myself! And they should be for the price! I really liked the Accurate spinner that we used this past summer!

I have a brand new Saragosa. I may not even use it if this is gonna be what happens. It's never even been on a boat!
Skip talk to Chris about this subject. i was talking to him yesterday and he likened it as "bringing a knife to a gun fight".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.