BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
lift raft

Try these guys I know they do lift raft repacks not sure about epirbs. I have used them before. Give them a call.
Marine Safety Corp. Farmingdale NJ 732-938-5668.

Marine Safety Corp.
5050 Industrial Rd.
Farmingdale, NJ 07727
732-938-5668​

·
Registered
289 Posts
For your epirb log onto www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov to ensure all info is correct especially the emergency contacts!Then SARSAT will also send you a new registration decal for your unit valid for 2 years. Hope this helps.If there is something else I should be doing please advise thanks.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have an appointment set up with Sea Safety on Feb 20th to do my Viking Raft. The good thing is they will open it up in front of you and blow it up. Good to see if you havent before.

Its going to cost me about $1,200 for a 4 man. Think they do Revere also. Contact info below

SEA SAFETY
10 Wood Avenue
Secaucus, NJ 07094
(201)330-3225 Main #

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For your epirb log onto www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov to ensure all info is correct especially the emergency contacts!Then SARSAT will also send you a new registration decal for your unit valid for 2 years. Hope this helps.If there is something else I should be doing please advise thanks.

I need a battery replacement. Check the date, mine was good for 5 years

·
Registered
568 Posts
Try Vane Brothers, I just had a 6 man Zodiac done for $800 after 6 years. Most of them can not give you a price until they open it and see what you need. A 4 man raft should not break the bank. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The last time my epirb battery needed replacement, I found a place on line that was about $100 cheaper than some local electronics shops. Sent them the unit and got it back with the new battery in place in 2 days. Just do a search for "epirb battery replacement."

·
Registered
234 Posts
Liferaft repacking & epirb battery replacement.

This maybe a stupid question but why is it so expensive to repack a liferaft? I have a 6 man Zodiac. Also I need a new epirb battery. Does the battery just go bad after a few years? Whatever it costs Im getting it done.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This maybe a stupid question but why is it so expensive to repack a liferaft? I have a 6 man Zodiac. Also I need a new epirb battery. Does the battery just go bad after a few years? Whatever it costs Im getting it done.
As I'm sure you are well aware, the word "marine" preceeding anything multiplies the cost by a factor of 4. Throw in the term "safety equipment" and it gets exponentially more expensive. It's a joke, I accept it for now and move on. The regulations get tighter and tighter, it's gonna be time for a new hobby in years to come, but for now I'm resisting.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The battery manufacturers put a 5 year expiration date on them. They would probably last 10 years, but would you want to take a chance?

The raft repacking cost is a mystery to me too, but when I look at the paperwork that explains what they do, there is certainly some labor involved and some equipment that is replaced. I would guess a valise style is somewhat cheaper than a canister as they don't have to open the case and then seal it up when they are done.

But like the battery, do you want to take a chance? If a seam has opened up or the tubes have somehow been punctured, the raft isn't going to save your life. Can you be sure that the CO2 cannister is still full and that it's valve isn't corroded? I remember seeing a report about a sportfisher that went down a couple of years ago, and his 13 year old never serviced raft worked fine and saved his crew. He was very lucky, but I'll be that if he is still boating, he gets his raft serviced at the factory recommended interval.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I purchased a brand new Switlik liferaft and had it serviced the next year. One tube had a leak. It is worth every penny to have the raft serviced every year so if you need it you know it will work. Marine Safety also check and makes sure that there is no current recalls on the raft or equipment. I had my valise style raft repacked in a used hard case.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
It’s really important not to let the raft go past its inspection due date. You can add 35% to the inspection/repack if you go past the service date. It would only be a few hundred for a new raft, compared to the price of the service of and expired raft.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.