BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran down after work targeting Weakfish and catch and release Fluke. I had been hoping the forecast was correct and the wind would drop off after 5. That was not the case. I ran all over the deep south Jersey looking for conditions to improve, but it was just a tough day. Everywhere I could find a good drift (speed) the water was brutally dirty and weedy and everywhere I found clean water the drift was very fast (even tried a drift sock). Definitely had two or three solid thumps, but couldn't come tight. When it got dark I stopped at a couple lights on the way back hoping for some bottom of the 9th heroics, but it just wasn't in the cards last night.

Time: 5-9 pm
Wind: E-SE 10-15 (gusts to 20)
Tide: Incoming
Temp: 58-63
Depth: 10-35'
Lure: Bucktail (1oz) and teaser combo. Jighead (1 1/2oz) and teaser combo.
Bait: Berkley Gulp! (5" swimming mullet Nuke Chicken, 5" swimming mullet Glow, 4" swimming mullet Pink, 3" Glow Shrimp)

Next time I need to have one or two other options rigged up and ready.

Still glad to get on the water for the second trip on my own boat and it absolutely still beat being at work.

The plan is to be back out Wednesday.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I fished 5/11 behind Avalon for a few hours.....two lines with bait down low and cast with rubber up top.......two skates on one of the bottom lines.
I fished 5/12 in morning on beach of Sea Isle.....not even a tap......lots of dolphins about a half-mile out.....water surface was like glass
I fished 5/12 evening just at dusk behind Sea Isle just casting rubber.....one tap but no solid hits. Gave up after an hour before rain started

Sure hope things pick up soon.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure it will. The way everything reads is that people are starting to catch.

I know I've only made it out twice so far so I only blame myself for lack of effort. And I intend to correct that right away.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Maybe try using the engine to slow the drift down? I never turn the engine off and am always power drifting. Wind was tough the other evening, when it gets like that I'm always trying to find shelter.. Houses, sod banks... I haven't found clean water to be that big of a deal this spring... Waters warmed up a lot in the last week, things seemed to be changing into more of an early summer pattern...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Pandion. I'll give it a shot using the engine more. I tried sparingly and just had a hard time keeping the boat from spinning (while fishing too). I'm sure it'll all come with experience.

Thanks again.

The plan is to head back down today after work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts