BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the kind of days that make you truly appreciate when a plan comes together.The Boss and I had an awesome plan on paper. We had first hand info on some large, and lots of them. Heck with all the reports from up North how we could go wrong anyway. In fact I was so siked I hardly slept. This is why I trailer, I said to myself, this why I put up with all the antics at the ramps, this trip and others like it(next week ;) ) are the reason I have the boat I do! Yea well keep reading. :rolleyes: Anyway the weather late last night looked great, 10 knots decreasing to 5. Alright nothing can stop us now. I loaded up the truck and prepared the boat. I checked and rechecked all the tackle and rigs. I filled up with gas in both the truck and the boat ($100), spent another $20 on lunch and ice. Now all I had to do was go to bed and wake up at 3:30am for the road trip. Well to bed I went but sleep wasn't happening. All I kept thinking of was the potential pull of the large. The night finally ended and 5 minutes before the alarm I hopped out of bed and started my day. First thing I did was recheck the forecast I look at just 4 hours before hand. Surly it would say the same thing, at worst maybe 10 to 15. WRONG! :mad: Now it says 20 to 25 with a small craft :eek: An instant later my Nextel two way goes off and its Ron mentioning the same report :( Okay yes we are a bit disappointed but we had word of some nice fluke and real nice weakies at another location closer to home. Plan B was in action. Maybe the back bay area wouldn't be as bad or maybe it would calm down a little later. So we postpone the trip a half hour so that we could regroup and load new tackle. 5:00 am we are off. Every flag on the way down was stiffer then last but our hopes were still positive. Once we reached the coast it was obvious that the w*** was even worse :( It was a stiff 20 knots and gusting even more. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the NOAA people. To make a long story a bit shorter we never did get to fish. We did however get to meet Scott and Walt at Scotts bait and tackle. Advertisers right here on the barn. What a great shop they have. Ron will be posting a full blown report as we got the royal treatment and the full tour. (and I spent more $$)So 150 miles later and as you would expect, by the time we got home the w*** was totally diminished, gone, nothing, at least at my house. :confused: By the way, we had a sighting on the Parkway. Dr Kray :cool: and the Mrs. cruising about 80 mph towards what I later found out was an Ancient Mariners party in WW. So now I haven't fished in 10 days and looking at another 6 or 7. What's guy to do!

[ 06-06-2004, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: RodFather ]

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Joe,

If it makes ya' feel any better, the trees are shaking outside my place right now. I also was surprised to see the breeze so strong this morning. I wasn't fishing today, but I guess I habitually check the forecast and I remembered seeing 10k. another nasty day.

thanks for the report.

Phil

·
Registered
113 Posts
the eve of a big fishin trip is like being
a kid on christmas eve. you just can't sleep.
the night can't go fast enough.

hope u get out next week

andy

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Been there, done that a few times. UUHHHH actually just last week. Although we did pull a few LARGE form the surf to save the day.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yea we've all been there. I realize how lucky we were to hit it just right on Friday. It really sucks when it's 10 kts all week when you can't go and 25 the day you can.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Rodfather,
I feel your pain. I woke up this morning planning on going fishing because the weather report on Noaa looked favorable the night before, but canceled the trip because the W*** and rain was howling here in Mount Holly. Then I call down to Scott's and he says the W*** is howling to 25 knots.

Are you talking about Scotts bt & tackle in Mystic island? If so Scott and his crew are top notch, great folks. Love his shop, I always spend a ton of $$$. He has a great selection.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Thanks for the report Rodfather. I was planning on going myself today but thought I'd save the pass for next weekend. You know the old saying, you don't know unless ya go - better luck next time.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Joe......if it makes you feel any better I'm getting the same reports of LARGE that you are and I'm working on two skunkings in a row. I feel your pain about the ten days.....it might as well be the same for me.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Sucks :mad:

Get'em next time ;)

Why shouldn't you be able to sue NOAA for a bad job and recover the financial loss and emotional burden(Probally Worth a Mill at least) this experience has put on you :D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
i have found it best to work on saturday and fish on tuesday!! Seems like the w*** takes off on tuesdays!! Just a thought!!

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Yeah kinda like the good weather. Can a working man get a break here. Two coldest days in about 2 months and of course Sat/Sun. And just take a look at the 5 day.

Oh well, someone said we need these Nor'Easters right

·
Registered
174 Posts
RF, I did the same exact thing. Checked and re-checked forecast Sat. night and Pop says, "how about weather?." I say, "don't worry looks good." (5 -10 kts. front has moved on, right?) Ended up perch fishing instead of looking for the flatties you were after as well. The only weather report you can trust is Accu-window...

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
It's kinda like the "B" team was doing the forcasting up until the "A" team walked in early Sunday morning and said "Holly Drum Scales! Where The Heck Did You Clowns Come Up With This Forcast?!"

Yeh, I know predicting the weather is not an easy thing to do. Otherwise, we'd all be doing it...right?

NOAA guys and gals, if this is your way of having fun with us fisherman...it's not funny any more

Josepe, as always, you were as prepared as one could possibly be. I really felt for ya when we couldn't get out knowing how long it's been sice ya last fished. The only thing I can say is~ hang in there my friend. Knowing you, you'll make up for it on the next trip

Pictures From Scott's Bait & Tackle Tour to follow

[ 06-07-2004, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Ron Redington ]

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
J & R, the weather this weekend sucked, plain & simple, but doin what you guys did beats a sharp stick in the eye.

There is always "next weekend", which is now "this weekend" & I plan on being down there, somewhere, possibly in search of toothy, long tailed, great tasting critters out front. Interested??? Let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm glad I stayed home....Almost went out. Had the trailer hooked up...I too hate all the weather reporting liars....

You'll get them next time...

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Originally posted by Ron Redington:

Yeh, I know predicting the weather is not an easy thing to do. Otherwise, we'd all be doing it...right?
We might as well all be doing it. As accurate as they have been the last couple of years we will be right as many times they are right. :confused:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Joe, you must have really been focused on your fishing, since I rode along side of you for over a mile before I could get your attention. Maureen and I had a wild weekend. It started out with a wedding in Ocean City, N.J. of Friday night, then a drive to New York for Maureen's 50th reunion from Hunter College High School [she was by far the best looker there]. When we saw you, we were coming back from New York to go to the Ancient Mariners shindig at Skippy's in Wildwood.I also had to get home early today to meet my son to view a skins game at Hartsfeld golf club. The participants were Phil Mickelson, John Daly,Chad Campbell and Stuart Appleby. The host was Jim Furyk

I will post in the Tackle Box the happenings at the Ancient Mariners event.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Originally posted by ANDYSLIQUOR:
the eve of a big fishin trip is like being
a kid on christmas eve. you just can't sleep.
the night can't go fast enough.

hope u get out next week

andy
AND IF THAT FEELING EVER LEAVES IT TIME TO HANG UP THE RODS!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts