BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the upper bay today with NJ_H20FLWR in search of some large.

Started out where Ray had allot of short fish yesterday and some blues. We were greeted by a nice stiff br**Z* form the SE. Nothing there? Hmmm

What did this weather do to the fish we asked? Maybe it changed the depth where they were feeding. Off to find some new structure.

Found some bait, and some fish. Managed to boat on 36" 18 lb female.

This fish was pretty fat so I cut her open to see what she'd been eating and got a BIG surprise!

She had an empty gullet, and FULL roe sacks? This fish hadn't spawned out? Had we known that we wouldn't have killed her.

So why would anyone guess this fish hadn't spawned? I thought (or assumed) these fish were done and on their way north?

Very perplexing... Any ideas?

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Baby Killer!!!
;) :D

I think bass spawn thoughout the spring, most spawn in April and May but she may behind a little. Just a guess.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Green.... all the bigger fish we caught in the last 3 weeks were spawned out. Maybe this one was just late. Just like a women, huh?

·
Registered
31,479 Posts
Darren,

Many times they never lay those eggs. Maybe they follow the food and never get in the right location/water temps, maybe no males around or maybe there's too many fish in the area??? I catch them all year with eggs. Last fall probably 50% of the fish I kept still had eggs in them. From what I've been told/read, if conditions aren't right they won't lay them and absorb them back into their bodies.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Cold water and heavy rain have slowed the spawn down.
Expect a poor YOY number this year which will add to the striper problems in upcoming years especially if we keep taking the best spawners out of the population.
Sure hope JCAA doesn't win thier argument on 2 fish over 28
Current reg's are perfect for maintaining the population through tough times

·
Registered
821 Posts
He forgot to note she had a big cut/scar at her dorsal fin. Maybe this injury might have something to do with it. BTW it didn't effect the texture or flavor!! ;)

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Fish do not all spawn at once actually. There is a bell curve type dynamic. There are the early birds, the main body of spawners and then the stragglers. The middle group make up the vast majority of the successful breeders. While I have never heard what Bob ECT mentioned, I cannot discount it......he does quite a bit more striper research that I do...........and it does make sense. I believe this whole spring and summer will be pushed back quite a bit.....cold May.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Originally posted by Bob ECT:
Darren,

Many times they never lay those eggs. Maybe they follow the food and never get in the right location/water temps, maybe no males around or maybe there's too many fish in the area??? I catch them all year with eggs. Last fall probably 50% of the fish I kept still had eggs in them. From what I've been told/read, if conditions aren't right they won't lay them and absorb them back into their bodies.
Bob- I was always told that fish sometimes produce a "false" roe that is never really meant to be fertilized and create young. This happens quite a bit in the Fall. I'd be surprise if fish would keep roe in their bodies for 5-6 months. Seems like a waste of space to me. Who knows.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
I gotta go with water temps.
Fished the Susky Flats a month ago. AWEFUL brown water and barely 50 degrees.

Anyone have any reports from the upper Hudson?

·
Registered
548 Posts
she was probably an ugly fish and no one wanted to jump her bones :D ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
It could have been water temperature, but with striper, the ph of the water is also very crucial, and they will not drop their roe if it is not in the right range. Perhaps this fish did not find the right conditions for breeding.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts