BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hit the inlet with around thity dummies like myself yesterday .wind was stiff all day making it cold at the rail for sure.we only had a dozen ling for me and my bud but I tried for tog mostly and did not even get a bite .there were tog caught up to 10lb. and everyone of them bit on whiteleggers and nothing else so do not go without them.my brother had same problem a week ago so I should have known better.there was 3 keeper cod up to 6-8lb caught and I should not have wasted so much time on tog with wrong bait an fished clam for ling and hope for a cod .BRING WHITE LEGGERS OR STAY HOME MY ADVICE TO ALL.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If you were on the OE. I was on that trip also. It was COLD. I caught 3 ling, but like you I spent most of my time trying for tog. No whiteleggers= no tog.

·
Banned
270 Posts
How long does the OE take to get to the ling/cod? I haven't bottom fished in years was hoping soon but this weather blows :mad: You think the fishing gets tougher as it gets colder?thanks for the report and tia

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey alex we stayed close to the beach most of the day because the farther you went out the rougher it got so he probally did not go where he would on a better day.there is about 3 boats fishing for macks up there but I did not see how they did when we returned .If the cold stays for a bit we should see the cod bite get better in NJ seems to be starting for the montauk/block island crowd.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey voodoo yes the oe was the boat I was on and I am from willow grove not to far away surpries me how many locals on here.we had a great crew for the day under the conditions I made plans to go north for cod with with 2 guys I talked too.were you fishing port or starbord side

·
Banned
270 Posts
Thanks Icefish, If the winter weather fluctuates like it has been doing, I'm likely to give it a go on the OE on a good marine forecast.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
hey voodoo yes the oe was the boat I was on and I am from willow grove not to far away surpries me how many locals on here.we had a great crew for the day under the conditions I made plans to go north for cod with with 2 guys I talked too.were you fishing port or starbord side

I was on the starboard side about 3 or 4 people from the stern.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts