BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are leaving within the hour so no more fishing for me for awhile. I did play with my pet tarpon early this AM but none were eating. Hope all of you get out & leave some for me.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Beautiful morning but very tough fishing. Got out this morning with one person charter. No wind and it looked like a knock them dead day.

Tried the inlet with out a strike and then worked the beachfront and only got a some sea herring on small Chart/yellow jiggies and small deceivers in 5 to 6 foot of water. No weakies this morning

Went back to the inlet where we had a bass hit right at the boat, missing a hook up.

Noticed off the Wildwood beach a pack of birds working real hard off the beach. Ran up there with great expectations only to find a good amount of baitfish with no fish under it.

Came back to the inlet where I hooked a small bass on a Mr. Bunker plug. With our trip almost done, We put in some extra time and worked the inside of the jetty tight to the rocks and finally found a few small bass. Charter got three small bass on intermediate and I got one on floating line, with the biggest being 20 inches. We kept thinking we could get a decent fish. Water was super clean with no signs of fish working any kind of bait anywhere and saw no bait in the inlet at all, like we did other mornings. Had to really work for every fish today.

[ 06-16-2006, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: CapeMayRay ]

·
Registered
678 Posts
Bill-
Party at my house tonight- not leaving til tomorrow am. Got a 25 lber& two other fish in the low 30" range on Tues night. Will be out tomorrow night- call my cell tonight or tomorrow if you want to hook up with me.
215-527-5670

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had an AM trip to Indian River for spotted seatrout & red fish. Had several seatrout on the fly but could not find any redfish. In Gainesville now should be home around Tuesday.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
First time we haven't gotten a striper in a while. Left the dock around 5:30 a.m. with a little bit of a breeze. Was blowing pretty good all night. Worked a 5 ft area draining off a flat as we still had low light and about half the tide out. Bill Couch was fishing the same area. He had been out since about 2 in the morning. We talked a bit and ended up with three 3lb blues.

It was a beautiful morning. Went to the inlet where I saw Ken Kelly (Irish Fly). He said he had one bass at that time.

Spotted some bird play and we got some 2 lb blues under them on the fly. Tried working the beachfront, but with the wind, chop and little bit of surf and dirty water we had no strikes. Did a shorten trip and will go out another day as he comes down every weekend and does a number of trips with me.

Did find a life ring and emergency light drifting by the rocks. Reported it to the Coast Guard and dropped it off at the base. Might of come off a ship. Was printed on it. Emperous of the Sea Nasau

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Tom, I didn't check the posts before I left on Fri. Wish I would've called you, caught some fish but it was blowing pretty good by the time I went around 11pm. Had some strikes in the inlet but couldn't put one in the boat. Fished the bridge and had good action on the fly rod with 11 blues and two bass.

Sat didn't fish went crabbing during the ebb tide with the wife and son, brought home 2doz.

Sun early am went around 2:30am, with some more wind. Some guys were working the bridge so I headed to the back, saw some bunker pods at first spot. Caught 7 bass plugging most around 23"s.

Saw Ray and charter and landed one more before moving to other waters. Found some fish working on bait that was blown up onto some very shallow water. Caught 7 more bass and three blues.

These fish were hammering the plugs in the skinny water and I caught them until 9:00am. Also had about a 4 pound flounder go right under the boat, tried to catch one but no luck.

[ 06-18-2006, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Bill Couch ]

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Nice way to end the morning. Should of stayed where I was, even with the weed in the water. Will be heading out a little earlier tomorrow on another fly trip and should have a little better water. Nice pictures with the shallow water.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Bill-
I never made it out Saturday night, but fished during the day and wound up with a slam- three keeper fluke to 20", two weakies about 3lbs, plenty of blues and one 20" bass. My friend and I were planning to dive at slack high until we started catching the fluke steady, when i spotted a large, non- porpoise like fin at the tip of the South jetty. Since we were't thrilled about diving if there were large sharks around , I motored over for a closer look and we were treated to an up close look at a 6' oceanic sunfish right at the tip of the jetty. Fisrt time I ever saw one so close to the beach, and also the earliest I've ever seen one. Good thing they're not good eating- my friend had his new custom made Daryl Wong speargun and was looking to pop it's cherry : )
Sunday I only fished for about two hours - too windy to get on the fluke where I caught them on Sat, but managed one keeper, a few shorts and one weakie in the back. Unfortunately , due to the wind , all fish except a few blues caught on spin tackle.
I may be down Thursday or Friday night until early Sun, then down for a week around the 4th- we'll have to get together for a night tide.
Tom

[ 06-19-2006, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Never Better ]

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Must be losing my touch. Had a angler from Long Island down. Excellent fly fisherman and could cast well. Left the dock at 4:30 a.m. and headed to one of my favorite back bay points. Water was great and the good breeze off the ocean was not effecting the drift or casting. On the fifth cast had a hit and miss and thought we would have a great morning. WRONG! Worked the area to death without so much as another strike. Charter even asked me to fish along with him and I had no strikes.

Next move was to the inlet. Water was like mud and was full of weed. Every cast fly had to be cleaned. There was too much wind to work the beach and no bird activity anywhere so we went back in the bay looking for some activity. Tried three great looking spots that usually produce, getting one small hit in the process.

While putting in some extra time, dead low and high sun we went back to first spot where charter missed a blue and I got a 16 inch fluke. On what was to be the last cast of the day I got a 22 inch bass, which made us work for another 3/4 of an hour longer.

Felt really bad for charter, we put in the extra time and just couldn't do it today. Charter said he had a great time and offered to take me out with him on Long Island if I ever get up that way. Said he has had many a trip where he hadn't caught a fish. (which didn't make me feel any better.)(First time this year I couldn't get some fish for charter on the flyrod) Even gave me a nice tip that I didn't deserve. Home now licking my wounds trying to figure out what I could of done to get some fish. (Don't know what I could of done differently.)

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Implant some homing devices, Ray, implant some homing devices... ;) You'll know exactly where your pet fish are at all times!!!

Just kidding, of course :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
I hate when that happens,makes for a long day.Just when we have them figured out, they get lockjaw.Better luck next time Ray.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ray-
tough day..been there myself as the angler with guides a few times and I know how they must feel. I've also been there when I've clocked them on my own boat the day before and invited someone new to the sport to try it for the "sure thing" and of course the fish dissapear. At least it sounds like you had a good charter who realized that sh*& happens

Tom

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
from the north country:

hit blues at sandy hook this morning on the flyrod. all taylor/cocktail sized... still nice to have the rods bending.

they've been working there every daybreak until 8 or 9AM every morning for the past week.

not sure what they're on, but a friend with me hit them only on the redgill teaser. sandeels or spearing?

the blues stopped and searobins (also hitting the redgill.. I got none on the crab fly I switched to) moved in, but the blues were back and hitting down the beach when we had to leave around 8.

light w/sw wind allowed me to cast my flyrod a country mile, nice for a change

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Ran down tonight with a couple that are good freinds and had a great time. We caught good numbers in the first hour then it slowly faded away with the sunset. I caught one on the fly, but with three people and the catching being good on small fish, we all ended up spinning. Jerry smoked us in the begining with a three fish head start but us boys caught up eventually. She did get the pool for largest bass.

Total for the night was about 20 bass and a couple of blues. We lost several and also had one that just left until it hit the sod bank and the lure came loose. Great time and home by 10:30.

[ 06-21-2006, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Bill Couch ]

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Bill good to hear. I was hoping to squeeze in a personal trip. Were there any signs of bait back there?

Was out yesterday morning with a one person fly charter. Looked super good in the back. Got three quick fish in the first hour, from 5:00 to 6:00 and one in the next three hours. All small fish in the back. Did try the beach. Big surf lots of chop and loaded with weed. Same for the inlet and not one sign of bird activity anywhere.

Worst part was my electric trolling engine went down. Believe it is the circuit board and have to take it to Dover Delaware for repairs and have a lot of trips this week that I am going to have to do with out an electric motor. Going to make my job twice a tough. It is covered under warranty and hope I can get it to him on Monday and he can replace it while I wait.

Checking into buying a backup for times like this, but think they are up to around $900 now.

My trip for this morning was cancelled. My charter had work related problems and had to cancel his vacation so I have some time to figures some things out.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ray,
I think you need to get rid of that motor. It has given you nothing but problems. Granted, when it works it's great, but a trolling motor shouldn't be in the shop as much as yours is!!! ;) Ever thought about investing in a poling platform? Your boat would be great for it, it's low maintenance, and since you fish those flats back there....

Here's a nice backup for you:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0029706018163a&type=product&cmCat=Search_Results_NYR&returnPage=search-results2.jsp&No=20&Ne=2510&Ntt=minn+kota&noImag e=0&Ntk=Products&QueryText=minn+kota&Ntx=matchall&N=3248

[ 06-21-2006, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Cant use one that you steer in the front with two people fly casting. I do put a lot of hours on my electric. One time was my fault,once was a bend in wire, once was a circuit board. This time looks like one of the wires came loose in boat wiring at plug in and may have shorted out the unit. Would not be a problem if there was a closer repair place. The six hour or better round trip is what kills you.

Need the remote to sit in the center and control the boat. Tried to buy a new one this morning, but no one had them in stock and had about a week or two wait.

Friend offered me his 21 foot sea craft, but he has a hand steer on the front and that boat has a T top and too much windage for fishing the back.

Pole is usless in area where I fish. Push pole down about 3 feet before you start to move then you can't get the pole out of the muck.

[ 06-21-2006, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: CapeMayRay ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Well then.... get that motor fixed then!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts