BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From last weeks reports it sounds as though things are getting better. I had an enjoyable morning in a Pa tree. Saw one deer from a distance. Hope the weather straightens out & most of you can get out. Doyle, were you on the jetties or beach or in a boat? Ron

·
Registered
128 Posts
Friday night 10-1-2004, just after dark, decided to head down to T.I.,,, Decided to warm up on the blues feeding along the shadow line under lights. Was very pleased to get Hooked up with my first striper on ONE OF MY FLIES!!!! A real nice 27.5" striper took my pink superhair over white angel hair clouser fly!! I used a brass dumbbell for the eyes.

Special thanks to the BARN guys for all of the fly tying advice and the examples!!!

VERY COOL TO FINALLY GET ONE ON ONE OF MY FLIES!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ron, I was in a friend's boat. A 24 or so scarab center console. Old boat, but fast. I'm actually heading out here in a few minutes to go and try it again.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vznocman Great job. That is a fish you will long remember. What was the fly?? & what does vznocman stand for?? Ron

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Vznocman, nice job. Catching that first bass on a fly you made sure makes you feel good and gives you the confidence that what you make will really catch fish. Good luck with the tying and catching.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Date - 10-3
Location - Momouth County Jetty south of the hook
fly - 5 inch white mullet

Got up early this am and headed to my favorite jetty - found bass and blues pinning mullet on the north side of the Jetty. The mullet where jumping on to the rocks and beaching themselves - full out blitz.

got 9 bass from 20" to 31" and 5 bluefish. Beautiful day

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sparse and Ray,

The fly I tied was "a pink superhair over white angel hair clouser fly!! I used a brass dumbbell for the eyes."

This is my third striper on fly , but the first one on one that I tied. Now, I feel like a "complete" fly fisherman.

Sparse, VZNOCMAN stands for Verizon Network Operation Center Man,, the guys at worked gave me that nickname, since I tell all of them to log on here if they want to learn from the Masters, I use the nickname. Soon, I will get a more fishy sounding name...

If it is not too much trouble, can you tell me how to post pictures in my reply, please?

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Brian, nice way to start the morning, looks like the fish are on the move and you just have to be at the right place at the right time. That is great action on the beach. I checked out the Cape May beaches and the point this morning. Not much happening. Just a few signs of mullet and only a few stripers here and there and they were all schoolies.

Decided to go out this evening, even though I knew better. Went out at the bottom of the tide, but felt lucky. Went to the ocean looking for mullet along the beaches and inlet jetty. Saw next to nothing and the water was very brown from the low tide and filled with cabbage. Had another beautiful sunset.
kept on beating a dead horse, hoping it would get better. Did get a nice 20 inch blue and some small ones but that was it. Tried as the tide changed to work the inlet jetty, but the cabbage was still thick and the wave action was making it difficult fish.

Didn't see a bass taken by anyone and there were about 15 boats working the area. Couldn't fish the back cause it would be awhile before the tide came up high enought to be productive.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Vznocman, I just learned how this summer and go alittle crazy with it. Think is makes the posts alittle more interesting. I go to snapfish.com It spoon feeds you on how to download photos to their site. There is no cost to it. When you have the photo on their site. Click on it to view it, right click on it, click on properties, copy the usual three lines of coded numbers and letters. Then come back to barn post. Barn post has to be on full reply. Click on image and then paste info from snapfish into the boxed space and hit okay. Hope this works for you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ray,

Thanks for the instructions,, hope this works.

This is the fish and the fly:
file:///C:/WINNT/Profiles/dowdj/LOCALS~1/Temp/0.jpg

This is one of me and the fish when I got home (I am the taller one...):
file:///C:/WINNT/Profiles/dowdj/LOCALS~1/Temp/1.jpg

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
3rd time's the charm, I guess :D . Nice chunky fish! And a great first striper on the fly, and your fly, no less!

I took a little "down home" road trip yesterday. Went from Avalon to Strathmere looking for action. I will say that the water is cooler (but not much) and cleaner than it has been in that area, so that's good news. No fish, though, but you know me, I really don't care about that. If I miss the mullet run this year, it's no biggie, since I've "missed" it for the past few years now. They've been there before, but with no fish on them when I'm there, so what's the point of worrying about it?? I wet waded onto some promising structure that I will hopefully get to well after dark in the near future. I found some of those gi-hugic spearing, too. Some up to 6", so I'm sure the blues and bass will be all over them soon.

On the homefront, I got out in my creek last night and managed to wrestle in two 6" stripers. They are getting smaller by the day! But they are still fun to watch and catch in all-out blitzes in the tiny creek. The mullet are long gone, but now the bass are pouncing on shrimp and tiny anchovies. Typical fall baits in there. This is my clue to head out towards the bay to catch the shrimp swarms and mucho mucho larger fish ;) .

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Glad to see you got the pictures down. It tooks me a few try to get it my first time too. Nice fish. I tried using ofoto last week cause snapfish was being worked on at the time and the pictures were on for awhile and then for some reason they weren't. Stick with snapfish.

Dave, one of these days you have to hit some fish cruising the beach. It's got to happen anyday now.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ray,
I'm more looking forward to seeing the big bass chowing down on shrimp in a few spots that I know about in my creek. They are extraordinarily tough to hook because of the chocolate milk water and overabundance of clear shrimp, but well worth the try. It's almost like dry fly fishing for huge trout. Last year I saw some that topped 40" in a very skinny water ripline. It might be a good "side trip" for your flats boat, one of these days... ;) . I'll be out there in the yak soon to check things out.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hey guys, I think I may have converted a boat/bait guy into flyfishing.

My buddy Pat "Lunchman", came out Saturday morning to try flyfishing for the first time. He learned the basics of casting on my lawn before heading out. Within 15 minutes he hooked his first striper, but it threw the fly before getting it in.

I told him that under the circumstances, dirty water and me teaching him, he was lucky to even get a bite. :D ;)

Anyway, I think he will be coming over to try again when the bite turns on. He also got a quick tying lesson and made his first half & half and an ugly clouser.

Don't be surprised if he shows up at one of our meetings.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Steve:
I tied you up a few ugly clousers myself, but seeing that Keith gave you a gazillion eyes, I didn't see the rush to give them to you ;) . Plus, the weather this weekend wasn't the best for fishing at the spot. I caught those 2 bass in my creek on one of your clousers, so I know they must work :D . I'll gave them to you the next time I run into you.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Dave, you need a john boat. Hey maybe my 7ft pram with an electric motor. Atleast you could follow the fish easier.

Checked out the beach and the point again this morning and even flung the fly for a short time at the point. I got nothing on the fly and only saw small blues caught and no reports of any bass. Beach water pretty clean, but still more of a green color and you can only see a couple of feet. Not even thinking of trying tonight unless I see birds and bait in the surf.

Steve, nice that you have you own little area to work and catch in. Must be hard to get used to, casting into that murky water. You must have to almost hit them on the head for them to see it. Hope your water is alittle clearer than down at the point. You fly gets lost very close to the surface lately.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice reports guys. Glad you got the picture thing worked out. One of these days I hope to. Weather & tides are looking good for the next few days. Hope to get out there. Ron

1 - 20 of 33 Posts