BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just arrived home. Lousy weather here but I have heard of some large fish caught. Hope you are getting some & I plan on launching Sun AM. Ron

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Didn't get charter in. Wind and rain forcast we cancelled out early yesterday. Woke up Saturday only to find some rain and very little wind. Had to leave early afternoon to visit daughter so late morning I tried a couple of spots around Cape May Harbor from land. Never tried the area before. Fished about an hour and a half. Had two hits one small bass 16 inches. Was using intermediate line and same big bunker fly that I have been using in the boat. Water was cloudy from the rain.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Tried on the high tide today for about an hour and a half. Pretty windy didn't feel like going in boat for such a short time. Tried this nice little area where a creek and a large flat empties into a larger creek. Even with the wind I was able to get some nice casts across the current, there was just nothing there.

I have gotten blues and some bass here in the boat but have never fished it from land. Looked real good but didn't get a single strike, I thought for sure I could get one here. Was going to try the point first, but the water was very ugly, couldn't see fly down even a foot.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talked to an old friend Doug last evening-used to post as sod bank. He was on the beach at SIC at daybreak on Sunday AM. Had 2 on a half & half (what are the odds). Ron

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Usually wouldn't think about fishing during the day, but this time of year sometimes you can get a few. If it was overcast I believe I could of gotten one there. I could always go to eel and bait, but I can always do that later in the season when it is hard to get them on artifical.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Oh, is THAT what that place looks like???
I'm used to seeing it only as a dark shadow line against the lighter dark gray water, or on the GPS.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
It is not that place Dave. This is only a short walk from a road. Got to put on waders or boots and walk through some muck. May have to try some fishing later. Dead low tide is right at dusk, it couldn't get any worse. Hard to sit tight.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Originally posted by CapeMayRay:
Got to put on waders or boots and walk through some muck.
Ray...now your talking my language. Welcome to my world. :D ;)

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ahhh.... You see, I really DON'T know where I'm fishing when I'm down there :D . Now I see why you only want to go out after dark...

At least you can walk on that muck. Around these parts you'll be up over your neck if you try to walk the sod.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Steve, I don't know if I like your world. Two trips and one 16 inch fish. I like the mobility of the boat. I am sure if I try it more often I could do better.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
The wind can't blow forever. Cancelled trip for today. Tides are starting to get better for the back bay but the wind is brutal here. Hope it will be better tomorrow. Feel like I have been landlocked too long. Wind is so strong there isn't even a spot that looks good for a desperate person to try. Just plain nasty.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Ray,

You need to take up bait-fishing when the w*nd is blowing. Grab some clam bellies and fish some of the creeks that you have been known to frequent in the dark of night.

Please don't exile me from this forum for the bait remark.
;)

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Steve, I am just spoiled. Fly fishing is my first choice, then plugs. If you put bait on and a circle hook you don't even have to hold the rod to hook them. That is okay, but if you can still get them on artifical I got to do that first. Bait fishing is for when all else fails, it gets too cold, or when rip fishing or chunking D Bay. Since I fish for fun and not the meat I can still be picky. If the wind keeps up I may have to go to the bait. I have a freezer full good stuff to use up. Nothing wrong with bait fishing Steve, some of my best friends still use that stuff. :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is this thing you guys call "bait". Actually I think I remember using some sometime. I think I was crabbing. Talked with Chris, "red eye" this evening & he reported some good stripers in the rips & 5 fathom. Also some speckled trout on the fly in Somers Point area. He did mention that they tasted fine which I took to mean catch & fillet instead of catch & release. Hope to see some of you on the 9th street causway clean-up at 11 AM tomorrow, Saturday. Ron

[ 11-05-2004, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: sparse grey ]

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Good to here Chris is alive and well. Speckled trout, I have to look them up in a book, can't recall what they look like, it has been along while since I caught one. Too Long. Hope you get a good turnout for the clean up. Heading out at 3:00 am backbay to catch the tide and hope some bass.

·
Registered
36 Posts
cape may ray- think i fished that area several timmes.. if it is where i think .. 3 of my buddies keep their boats in cape may and my girlfriend has a place in wildwood crest. i am gonna be putting in a lot of time down there next summer. the back country has me really hyped...

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ray Speckled trout. Similar to our weakfish, but prettier & I think, better tasting. Ron

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Flies Only, Welcome to the barn. Lots of good areas in the back for fly fishing. Tides are the determining factor, along with boat traffic and sunlight. Hope you have many great trips.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts