BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope the weather co-operates & a lot of you can get out this week. I'm launching in a couple of hours. Ron

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Left the dock at 7:00 a.m. No wind, overcast and pretty warm out for this time of year. Decided to work outside the inlet. With large swells comming in and a super fast outgoing tide due to all the extra water in the back, it was a little hairy. Got one nice 34 1/2 bass on swimming plug, just couldn't keep the boat off the rocks and cast fly rod.

Water was alot dirtier than I expected. I tried the other jetty too and after of an hour of difficult fishing and no hits, I decided to try the back bay. Worked a couple of points and a creek mouth, were I got 2 bass out of 7 hits. A 22 and 25 incher. Seemed like I just couldn't work it slow enought, they just wouldn't take fly hard. One was a decent fish that came up an sort of tried to suck it in. They were hitting a medium size bunker fly and when I tried a smaller fly, I couldn't get a stike. The fish fought good but the strikes were very light. Another local fisherman said he had 4 bass up to 34 inches, in the back on rubber bait on jig head worked real slow. Water was 50 degrees both outside the inlet and in the back bay. Tide was getting low and the water was getting dirty so I called it a day, just as it started to drizzle.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
May, get out tomorrow and Monday and will pull the boat for the season on Monday after fishing. Getting close to Christmas and the weather is to turn cold. The days of fishing in a flats boat are getting to be slim to none. I have been lucky to have as long a season as I have.

Skip, will only be fishing a few more days and will see you on the water next year. Good luck with the rest of the season.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Wind was gusting pretty strong this morning when I got up, so I decided not to go. It is not good, I can hear the fat lady clearing her throat. Tomorrow will be my last shot of the season in the boat and they are calling for strong winds on Monday and April is a long way off.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ray Hope you can get out. Won't be the same without your reports & pictures. Ron

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Nice Job Ray!! I got to get out with you and learn that area a little better.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Sparse, I guess I will have to take up bird watching. I tried to get some updated shots of the point, but it is off limits right now, where I could get a good shot. They have pumped up a lot of sand and have guards posted so people don't get in the way of the heavy equipment and outflow of the pipe.

Hip, maybe we can work some of that rust off your fly tackle and I know you are okay with the Catch and Release. Is it spring yet?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
got out yesterday with Ed (fmTuna) on his boat, and his friend Craig. had the flyrods rigged and ready, using heavy sinking lines. got to our spot in the ocean, and the wind was howling pretty good, and the waves were up. not a day for the flyrod, unfortunately. Ed and Craig had been doing pretty good on them the previous week. anyway, we still got a few shorts, all while jigging metals. none were bigger than say 22" or so, but they were fun on the light rods.

we moved to the inlet towards the lower part of the tide so that we would not get so beat up, and the current was pushing us at 3.5 mph or so, even though we were there at almost dead slack tide. a couple of drifts resulted in grass and snags on the bottom, so we called it a day.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Too bad Joe, Wind was honking here all day too. The party is over for me. Got up this morning to that same stiff wind. Couldn't convince my buddy to go out and look for a mercy bite so we pulled the boat in strong winds and rain this morning and got it all pressure washed and cleaned up for winter. Cleared up by noon, but the wind was still blowing and still is. I guess I am ready for the holidays and the long winter. No more fishing reports unless I can find something along the beach.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ray Hope you can find something along the beach or the back bay sod banks. Don't put the rods away yet. I remember a season several years ago where myself & a friend caught bass on the fly in every month. It can be done. Ron

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
The word is cold. I am glad I pulled my boat when I did. Couldn't think of washing it down the last three days, cause it has been too cold. Still have to flush, and fog the engine and pull the batteries, but will wait for a nice day. I already feel like a fish out of water.

Seems like alot of activity, pulling boats this week and most of the marinas, there is little or no activity. Wind and cold is a bad combination.

REN, will probably be the last small boat guy flyfishing. He waits till the last day before it freezes over to pull his skiff.

Good luck to anyone out there trying. You deserve every fish you can get. Hope we get a few more nice days and reports.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Ray Heard from some guys on the sod banks in the back. Some are still catching, outgoing in the dark. I'll talk to REN soon to see what that rascal has been up to. Stay well & try not to feel too bad. Ron

·
Registered
69 Posts
Happened to talk to that rascal (loner) Ren tonight on the phone by some miracle. He has been goin to the standby bridge on a whim over the past week when the wind and tide were in his favor. He is catching them rather steadily back there on flies (decievers). I saw him from afar the other night while fishing the banks along the causeway. He was bumping in and out of the shadow line catching here and there. On a disturbing note, I have also learned that he has mastered the task of eating basscakes with no hands. Finally, he has told me that he is on from god to catch massive amounts fish while running running the beach tomorrow am. If the linesiders don't cooperate, a few bluefish will meet their fate in the smoker. Must be the life........Something tells me not to wait by the phone........ :eek:

The eel-hatin, showdow line working fool..... :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check out the post "got to read this" on offshore forum. Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts