BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read some good posts last week & glad some are getting out. REN doesn't have access to a computor but I've talked with him a couple of times & he is getting fish on the bridges almost every time. I had a function in the Keys this past week-end so I turned in my 8 weight for a little heavier rod. Tarpon, barracuda & sharks were caught by some of the gang. A couple had some shots at bonefish but nada. One had a shot at a permit that stuck up his nose at the offering. Wind was way strong out of the East. One local said he has gotten out 10 times since Christmas. The most windy season most can remember. Still was nice being there. Hope to read some great reports from you guys in the near future. Ron

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Cold water on the beach and no signs or weakies for me. Got out this morning in the fog and tried my favorite weakie haunts. 50 degree water. Bloodworm on float zero hits, flyrod with 5 differnt types of flys, one small blue.

Top of the tide I decided to hit some back bay creeks that I never explored before. Found some 58 degree water come off big flats into deep. Should of been where the fish were, Wrong. Tons of snot grass, just about every other cast fly was loaded with it. Tried a go to spot for early season fluke but the Fluke forgot about it.
Talked to some fluke fishermen and it was very slow only a few caught that I know of.

While working a deep creek 20ft deep on the out going I got two Sea Herring. I thought the first one was a weakie when I first saw the pinkish flash. I never got one that far up a creek away from the ocean before. I have only gotten them under bridges or on the ocean front.

While fishing the back bay, I never saw any signs of life, no bait, no splashes no swirls and no birds working. I worked alot of prime spots and it was slow. It started out last year like this, but by this time last year the fishing had picked up. Only place I saw bait was at the inlet, but there were no fish working it. Just the birds. Hope everyone else had a better day.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ray Bummer, but thanks for the report. At least you got out. Ron

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Fished 5/7 at high tide pm heard a couple of fish working up in the back. My fishing partner for the night Capt. John saved the day by catching a short bass about 20" on a small olive pattern. Had a fish miss a fly and I threw back into the boil and he missed it again. After that the number of fish working deminished with the falling temps. Went out 5/8 new it was to cold but went scouting anyway and never heard or saw a thing. Going out 5/12 will give report. This is the week it will all turn around, the temps are going up.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Bill you are right. It was warm today. A couple of warm days will put us right where we should be. I am giving it a brake tonight, might just check out the point and see if anything is happening there.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Keep us posted on the point. If it makes you feel any better I did see a ton of bait friday night but not many fish other than Hickory shads. A guy cast netting on the longport bridge had alot of smallish butterfish, juvenile herring about 3-4 inches and tons of large bay anchovies not spearing. I think things will definitely turn on this week. I may hit Cape May point tommorrow am.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I checked out the point monday night, there were only a few people fishing. Usually a bad sign this time of year. saw one herring caught and the guys with bloods weren't even getting any hits. Water is still cold. Just need the right temps and the jetties will be packed and the fish will be hitting.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hey Ray,
We had great action on Friday night at the top of the tide where I fished with you last fall- many bass, all keepers , including one brute that straightened my jig hook. All were on the spin rod- they were still deep and we fished plastic slowly, but they were there in numbers. Water temp was only 49.5- brrrrr. Didn't seem to bother the bass, but any trout around had their gloves and ear muffs on

I'm off to Arizona for a few days , so hopefully I'll bring back some warm weather and we can get at the trout soon- I can't wait
Good luck- Tom

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Last night I had a meeting to attend. Got a report of some bass, herring and weakies being caught. Checked it out tonight. Quite a few guys flinging rubber bodies and worms. Only saw herring caught and no reports of weakies. I got a 20 inch bass on pink/purple small jiggie right around sunset, from a jetty. (just enought wind, kept me out of boat fishing tonight.) Had one other small hit, which was possibly a herring. Did see a few signs of bait and the water on the outgoing was very murky.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Small bass & lots of blues on local bridge. All on deceiver type flies. Ron

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Hit CISP last night slack to the beginnig of the incomming water was vey dirty in the back so I went around out front and the wind reared its nasty little head and I called it an early night. No signs of life anywhere not even any spearing.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Had a good night in the back bay. Didn't really want to go because the wind was really blowing strong off the ocean and it was down right cold. At the top of the tide, found a flat with 60 degree water draining into a channel on a leeward shore. Conditions were bad at best, even a couple of clam chunkers near us gave up early. We were getting some small 2-lb. blues and I nailed a nice bass on a white deciever. It was 27 3/4 inches long and we released it. Got a good shot of it with new digital cammera but have to work the bugs out on how to post it. Called it an early night, we were cold and as the tide flow increased the snot grass was way too much.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Here ya go...

Great fish on the fly! Nice way to kill the losing streak!

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Nice Job Ray!

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Thanks Dave, Next week I will get you to show me first hand how to post a picture. Hope we can get a few with both of us with fish. Was up in Trenton today and passed the Delaware River. Wished I had time to stop. There were alot of boats fishing below the falls and it was a beautiful day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts