BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week was pretty good, looking forward to some more reports this week. As I am writing this, the nation & most of the world are saying good-by to a great American, Ronald Reagan. No matter your political thoughts, if you can, take a moment today to have some good thoughts for RR & his family. Ron

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Touching Sparse! Been listening through the day and now watching the Family at the sunset burial. He was really well liked.

I was in your area last night and caught a redfish.

By the way I was at the Crab Trap last night!

My report is, we are 3 days overdue for the catch of my lifetime!

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Bill, good to see you on the water tonight. You had the same idea I did. With the rain and overcast and early high tide it looked like we could make something out of nothing.

I got my first bass on a popping fly, at the mouth of that little creek before the bigger creek on my way out. I saw some bait pushing there. It was a 22 incher. I got a nice size 20 inch blue right before I saw you and kept it for shark bait. I thought it was going to be a good night. I worked that whole area good and didn't even get a swirl. Didn't see any bait anywhere. I don't know what it was, the water didn't drop much in temperature. We did have alot of rain and it was very cloudy.

I put on a popping plug and worked the other side, where you saw me when you were heading back. I had one strike and hooked up a 17 inch bass. Worked the whole area and didn't get a swirl or strike.

Around sunset when it started raining I went out the inlet and worked the rocks. I was using a pretty good size jiggie. I had quite a few hits, but was trying for a bigger fish. The fish were all small, got two sea herring and 2 blues half the size of the herring. It was raining pretty hard by 9:30 so I called it quits. I hope you faired better.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Slow but rewarding morning. Looked like it was going to be a super morning. Left the marina alittle after 5:00 am and found the water got very cool. It was 65 degrees. Went to the back bay to work flats and banks and the water was 64 and very little signs of bait. Worked 80 percent of the area that is usually heavy with bait and good for some swirls, or follow ups and nothing. Searched a creek mouth that always holds fish. Had one hit and started working upstream. Got one nice 28 1/2 bass on silver/white popping fly and another 20 incher further up where alittle creek 8 feet wide emptied into the larger one that was only 25 feet wide. Average depth was 4 feet deep at high tide in the big creek and the water was only 65. Had two other wacks and that was it.

With the tide going out and the sun getting high couldn't stay long. Got one nice 20 inch blue on a yellow small deceiver on a little rip where the flat drains into the intercoastal waterway. Don't know where all the bait went, but it was gone. It was loaded earlier in the week.

Thought I had a nice sunrise and fish pictures this morning, but digital cammera was making funny beeps, I thought it was batteries low. I had it on video and ended up with some weird clips. The shot I wanted and 7 or 8 seconds of inside of boat. Atleast I know it works and does a good job. Now I will have to learn how to use it.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Hey Jeff, how's the fishing been in Brig? :D

Ray,
At least your catching more than me ;) . You'll figure that camera out sometime.

[ 06-13-2004, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Dave, you are back from vacation. Where are the trout stories. I bet your trout were bigger than any weakie I've caught this year.

Got a handle on the video part of camera. Weird noise was indicating I was out of space on memory card. I think I moved it to video when I pulled it out of its case. I was amazed at the quaility from such a small camera.

Don't think Jeff has had any time to fish. He has been busy and they are expecting a child very soon. I got a reply from him on another thread.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Ray sounds like you are working as hard for your fish as I am. After I headed past you the second time I fished a creek that has been consistantly OK this year and caught my first fish on my new fly rod a 25" weakie. But that was the last fish of the night. Fished from the beach on Sat. with my son and my wife and caught 12 flounder 2 keepers one was 20.5 and 19.5. My son caught a 13" weakie that we let go. Fished Sunday night with a freind and we managed 3 short bass in the wind. Had several swirls but they weren't very aggressive.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad some are getting out. Talked with REN yesterday & he is still catching some, usually sod banks in the evening on deceivers. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ray,
I definately saw some trout that were bigger than this year's weakies, about twice as big. I got a few little stockers on the first day on the Willow and the upper Beaverkill. Overall, it was tough fishing. They weren't going after the big Green Drakes or March Browns we were hoping for (big, as in size 8 longshank), as those hatches were fizzling out by the time we got up there. With the weather and all, it's tough planning annual trips by the hatches. They were hitting the surface all day long, though, just on flies that were smaller than any self-respecting saltwater fly angler would talk about...
They were mostly sipping in size 18-26 gray fox and other mayfly spinners (spent adult flies laying dead on the water), but I couldn't seem to find the right fly in my myriad dry fly assortment. At one point on the last day I was using a size 26 trico and getting strikes, but the hook was so small that it kept popping out. I used small emergers and got several fish to hit, but again the hook popped out on all of them. I saw several very large fish during the evening spinner falls, but I couldn't get any of them, in the typical overfished Beaverkill fashion. One brown feeding like mad right in front of me must have went 26-28" (think about that; that's like getting a nice keeper striper, on a 2wt rod, in rock-strewn current). I would have been happy with any trout half that size. We also fished IBSP and the Barnegat south jetty on the way home, but with no success. I did see a 12" needlefish follow my bunker fly in, but that was it. Oh, and McGreedy was filming yet another "NJ and him, surrender your money" ad up on the dunes, using the state-funded helicopter to fly into the set, so be prepared to see his mug on yet another commercial :rolleyes: .

All in all it was good to get away, but now I'm ready for some stripers! :D Now that the horseshoe crabs are almost gone from my beaches, I can get back out there again.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fly Sounds like a nice but tough fishing trip. Surely is a pretty area. Glad you had a safe trip. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Here's some pics of the rivers. I didn't take too many shots this year. Not many fish-catching moments to capture, I guess. It's still perty up there.

East Branch of the Delaware

East Branch Again

Upper Beaverkill well above Roscoe, NY

Funny to think that the water in those pics flows out past Cape May. It's mind boggling to realize that shad make the trip from out past Cape May upriver 400 or so miles to there every year. It's amazing that pebbles on the beaches here washed all the way down from up there. It's really astounding that Lewis and Clark travelled thousands of miles upstream before turning around, although not on the mighty Delaware... ;) :D

[ 06-15-2004, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
789 Posts
Sorry, I had a little slip of the typing fingers on previous post. Anyway, I was up in the same area this past weekend (rented a drift boat and floated the main stem of the upper Delaware)with about the same results. Encountered excellent numbers of surface feeding fish, some in the 20" and over range, that refused every fly we threw at them. On Sunday we fished a riffle on the west branch and were able to fool 4 smaller rainbows. The challenge of catching these beasts is what keeps me coming back year after year.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey guys, just got back from the Cape and as usual the bass fishing was GREAT. I got my largest on a fly 35 1/2" in 18" of water. Saw him comming. Nice way to get a good one. Landed 6 over 28" and too many twinkies to count. Back to FL. saw a few Tarpon but no takers yet. The first one will be on bait then try the fly. Have a great season and "GO CATCH EM"

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fly Nice pictures, truly a unique place. When I'm able I hope you get get me set up to post pictures. I am the original end user.

Fla tom. Sounds good, hope you get into the tarpon soon. Nice fish for shallow water. That really sounds awesome. Ron

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Fly,looks like water you can still drink!Great Pic`s.Ron looks like I might get a break from school and work,I haven`t forgot you.Will stop in....The towel is still A -OK.Love ya buddy.Just got the deer pictures back form that day.Ahhhh the memories.Rob your Pa pal.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Tom, Nice Weakie, especially in the back. I have been out two mornings and a night in the same area since last post. Bait has really become scarce. Without the bait the fishing has been slow. You really have to work for any fish you get and they have not been very aggressive strikes. This stripers have been mostly small but the blues have been better than average, but they have been few a far between. It has really changed in the last week and a half.

I have an idea where you were fishing. Was the baitfish any better there? With the wind blowing pretty strong from the southeast, I havent worked the beach or jetties, so I don't know whats happening there.

Good to hear you got the first fish on the new fly outfit. Nice Weakie, I would take that anyday. What fly did it take?

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Dave, beautiful pictures. How come you don't take me to a nice place like that for trout fishing. You take me in sub freezing weather to a stream, in extreme conditions. Someday I will get a trout on the fly.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ray,
I didn't want to spoil you on the first trip
. Plus driving all the way up there isn't for the "day trip". It's for at least the weekend or week long trip.

Logic:
Mainstem rainbows are extremely tough to catch, even with a drift boat, as they are mostly all wild fish. Though, relatively speaking, not many people fish the mainstem, because of the wary fish and all the private property, so they really aren't pounded day after day like in the West Branch or Beaverkill. I've only gotten three small ones in my life, all from the Kellam's Bridge access point, and they were all in the same evening. There was a blizzard caddis hatch going off and there were enough fish slashing at the adult caddis that my odds of catching were much better than a normal day on the main stem (usually no fish rising at all). I've never drifted a river before, but it must be nice being able to reach some of those "unreachable" fish ;) .

Reel:
Well, NYC thinks highly enough of the water to drink it every day... :D

Sparse:
If you've got a digital camera, or a scanner, and know how to use them, posting pics is pretty easy. Just ask Ray!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts