BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week saw many fish, some great pictures. Hope this week has many more. Someone is due for a large weakfish. Ron

·
Registered
160 Posts
I hope to have a report as early as this evening. Sparse I'll check in on your schedule sometime over the weekend. If you get an opportunity, call on the cell phone.

John

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Johnny I think you know my schedule. I'll call you Sat. %Ron

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
No pictures tonight. I fought mother nature and won, I think. Had a charter tonight with the deck stacked against us. 15 to 17mph South East winds making the beachfront and inlet area alittle annoying, low tide in the backbay and severe thunderstorm watch.

Left dock at 5:30 With clouds and threat of thunderstorms we tried where flats empty in channel. Water looked good, but not one strike or swirl and no signs of bait or life.

Next tried where Dave and I fished last night, at the inlet, and got one small bass 21 inches. Only hit and no signs of bait. Wind died so we worked the ocean side of the jetty. Got one more bass 22 inches, one spike weakie and one small blue in the heavy fog that rolled in when the wind died. Water was very clean and clear. I think it was too clear. Did see a couple of swirls on the surface, but not one bit of bait. Glad to have GPS cause it got real thick. About 10:00 just as we got in the wind kicked up again and it started raining. We fished hard for what we got and dodged the bullets mother nature threw at us. All and all it wasn't too bad. Would of liked more or better fish, but guy was happy with what he got. He was going to release everything anyway.

Bass were on deceiver blue/white with 300 sinking line. Blue and weakie were on pink/white jiggy intermediate line. Water temps 62 to 64.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
You know I hate daytime fly fishing especially on weekends with bad tides. Started out this afternoon around 3:30 Wind was blowing pretty strong from the northwest, but it was a bit overcast. I decided to chance a shot on the flats before heading out to the ocean. Turned out to be a good move. Found a little creek with some bait and some fish chasing it.

We got 3 bass all small. One on popping fly and two on popper. They were all small 19 to 22 inches. We also got 3 blues. Then the sun came out and with the wind, the dropping tide and the sun we headed for the ocean.

Fly caster out fished the his buddy using plugs and plastic. He ended up with a grand slam. He had another bass a 23 inches, 2 weakies a 15 incher and a 18 incher, another blue and a small fluke. Everything in the ocean was on Pink/white jiggy. His buddy only got a couple of blues and 1 weakie in the ocean.

First weakie was released as well as the others, and they were all keepers.

Wind never let up, in fact it picked up after sunset. Night almost ended up with a call to Sea Tow. While fishing in the dark at the inlet jetty the plugging guy got his line in bow mounted motor and I had a ton of line wrapped on the shaft and I figured I would take prop off at the dock during the day. About 5 minutes later the fly guy thought he had a fish on 300 sinking line. Turned out he had his line in my main engine prop. Luckly I was able to free it after 15 minutes of hanging over the back of the boat with a flashlight in a good chop while drifting seaward. Other than the lines in the props it was a good night.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad your hanging over the transom worked. Think I remember doing that once or twice. What is this thing you call a "weakie"?? :D Ron

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Launched Sun AM before 4AM with Johnny G, Wasteman. Outgoing tide. Nice morning, no fish by the lights, Johnny caught one on a clouser & I had 2 hits on a crease by the islands. Action stopped shortly after daylight. 5 trailors in the lot. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ouch, fly line in the prop! I hope both came out ok. Nice the see someone getting weakies. Thought they skipped over NJ this year.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
They were the biggest of the season so far. Don't know if I will see too many big ones. Last year most of the big ones we caught we by now.Water was still a cool 63 where we were fishing.

Sparse, you say you were fishing the lights. Down here I have seen next to no action in the lights, very little bait and no fish. Last year there was always something going on. Our incomming tides have been real cold. Even where I fish flats at high tide channel side was 64 and shallow side was only 68 at warmest, where back a Month ago I was getting 72. Water has been very clear so that could be a factor too.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Got the ok to run down Sat night. Did not start fishing until 12:30. Water was glass smooth I thought we were going to have a beautiful night. Caught two bass about 20"s then wind started to pick up. Then it really started howling. Found fish everywhere we stopped. Caught 11 bass four of those 22"s. Had several pull the hook, looks like it's time to get out the file.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice going Bill. I launched by myself Mon. AM around 330. Tide was just starting out but never really moved. Went straight to the islands & had a bass on the first cast, a mere wisp of a deceiver. I always thought this was unlucky & this AM proved it true. That was the last fish until the sky began to lighten. Caught 2 on a small crease fly(thanks JohnnyG), several bluefish, then met my girlfriend & wife at the ramp & we fished an hour or so after daylight. Nada. Went to breakfast & the boat is in the garage. Very pleasant morning. Ron

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Bill, good to hear you got out. All on the fly or mix of plastic? That wind was a pain all afternoon for us. It just made it difficult to keep the boat where you wanted it. At least you were out at the right tide. I find charters mostly like the daytime. Not many want to go out in the middle of the night even if it is the best time and tide.

Sparse, atleast you are getting out. There has to be some nice fish in that area. Everyday is different. Just when you think you have it figured out, another factor changes, so keep on your toes.

I will be heading out Tues. morn at 4:30 to catch the last of the darkness and high tide.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Wasn't planning on going out tonight but buddy who hasn't fished with me for awhile, stopped by and talked me into fishing. (Like it was really hard to do.) Told him I had a charter tomorrow morning at 4:30 a.m. and didn't want to stay out too long and that I could go for a couple of hours.

Well here it is after 10:30, I just got in. I decided I would use popping plugs tonight, the same as he was and do a quick night as most of the fish were on the small side this week. We ended up with 15 bass with 5 over 24 inches with the biggest 32 inches and fat. As soon as we both hooked up two big ones at the same time I got the flyrod out. I was ready for a big one. Did get one nice one and one small one on a green metalic banger, but none the size of the ones we got on the plugs.

Got get some sleep, 4:30 will come fast. Will get some pictures up tomorrow and hopefully a good report on a.m. trip.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ahh, I see the tides are turning in Cape May, eh Ray??? :D Glad to hear the fish are back

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Dave, They were back but not for long. Was out this morning. Everything looked perfect, no wind, high tide. Water really dropped overnight with the next incomming tide. Where we had 70 last night it was 63 and where it was 64 it was 59. We were trying to get them on the fly. We raised some fish, but they were mostly lookers, they would follow, swirl behind, but even when they hit it was a poor attempt. Even tried plugging them in toward the boat and bait and switch. To make things worst the wind picked up pretty good at sunrise making life more difficult.

Even tried the inlet area, with 58 degree water. One small blue and no good signs of life. Didn't even see one sign of bait fish all morning. Went from as good as it gets to as bad in one tide.

No pictures today but here are some from last night. Wish I got this baby on the fly but, I didn't.
I would of traded a few of last nights fish for a few this morning, but thats fishing and mother nature. I was really excited about this mornings trip and could hardly sleep with anticipation, only to crash and burn.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Ran down Mon evening with my son Max and a freind started at a small creek and there was a bass with his head in the grass rooting so I told Max to throw his plastic in there. First cast was short so Beanhead took a shot with his fly and the bass moved it about 6" sideways but did not get it. Then it was my turn or so I thought, I heard Max yell Dad it'sn every man for himself. Imediately there were two flys and my son's plastic in the water that was only 2ft. wide. Needless to say the bass moved up the creek out of the reach of all the incoming baits. We had a great evening, we caught 11 total 8 on the fly and 2 on plastics and one on a plug. I caught one 27" and the rest were between 18 and 23.75"s Max got 2 on the spinning gear and one on the fly rod. Ray sounds like you had a good night also, I think I could see you from where we were. I like the idea that two boats not in the same proximity can both have a good night. That tells me that the bass are not isolated to small areas that you have to find to catch fish.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
That's a good fish on any gear! Nice :D . What was the weight? Looks nice and chunky. I'll give it 13 to 15lbs.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
We didn't weigh any of the fish. I guess I should get a bocca grip. The bigger fish were all big and chunky. The one I got was chucking up whole squids as we boated it. The 32 incher I got awhile ago was long and skinny. This one seemed like it was triple the weight.

It is a bit windy this afternoon, I think I will stay home for a good meal and lick my wounds from earlier today. Did run up to Court House today and those low tide, dried up creeks looked like they were pretty warm. Might be all that is needed for tonight.

Bill, glad you are getting out with your son. Had to laugh about the everyman for himself. Sounds like he is enjoying the trips. You are right about the fish. There are many places where the same type of conditions are found.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
All I know was that this fish was 34" (caught during an unannounced worm hatch by an unnamed secret angler who never posts anymore in an uncharted secret spot during an unintentional August high tide in an uninhabited south jersey estuary
) and only weighed 13lbs. I was shocked, but it isn't as chunky as your's was.

I'd say from the pic that your's was 13-15lbs, but pics are deceiving. I could have a 15lber and make it look like a 4lber ;) .

[ 06-29-2004, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fly tier August High tide?? Me thinks that that has not happened, this year. Nice fish. Ron

1 - 20 of 26 Posts