BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With nights of venice Sat in O.C. I think I'll take the night off. If you get out, watch out for the amature drunks on the water. Ron

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Got back from mating on a tuna trip. No fly fishing envolved but fun. 7 small bluefin tuna all perfect flyrod size and had to be thrown back cause they were short. Couldn't of gotten them on the fly if we wanted. Most hit super far from the boat and all one at a time while trolling. Even got one to hit a green machine while cruising home at 16 1/2 miles an hour. It must of been super hungry to chase a lure at that speed and the hook up was pretty violent.
Can't wait to get back to normal, I miss the back bay, shorter hours, more fun and not so much sun. I feel like a rasin.

Ron, after nights in Veince, that is where they get the saying seas white with foam. :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fished in behind Avalon Fri. night. Got there and bass had trapped bait in a small creek. Bugs so bad I had to go back to reapply deet. Threw white banger and siliclones with no luck.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Feather Bummer on the bugs. Glad you got out.

Ray You have mail. Ron

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Fished under bunker schoools yesterday morning outside of GE Inlet. Not much chasing them, but they were being slightly harassed. No hook ups, just a few hungry bunker that ate my hollowfleye..

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go ahead Frank. Sorry I was unable to spend any time with you on your vacation week. Next time. Glad you got out. Ron

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
WEnt out friday night and boated a nice 34" bass. Lost a few to a good run offs. All on bunker imitation. We released 19 out of 23 boated. All were from 28-30". Weird they were there but no surface action.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Friday and Saturday there was a couple of small schools of large bunker running down the beach in Cape May, but there was nothing working them. Even saw a couple of schools inside the harbor, which I haven't seen for awhile, but again nothing pushing them, but it is a good sign. With all the rain we had today, I would imagine any reports today would be pretty watered down. :D

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Striperahalic, good report. I was comming home to Cape May from Pa. and it was really raining at times, but no lightning. Those type nights can be great other than heavy rain being a pain.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Had charter that had to cancel at the last minute. Sparse and Dave were both busy on short notice so I got out tonight with local buddy that I fish alot with. We decided to try some new areas before we hit our usual haunts. We hit the new areas with popping plugs to see if we could get some response. I brought along my freshwater ultra-light rod with 4 lb test line. We worked the new area for about 1 hour and a half with only a couple of swirls and one small fish.

We decided to move to our usual area. Fishing was different than usual. Fish were hitting very lightly. Water was 73 to 76 and might of just been alittle too warm. Did manage to get one 16 incher on a popping fly but the fish were not very aggressive at all. Went back to the ultra light and got fish up to 22inches, which gave a nice fight on the light gear.

Buddy got the fish of the night. All our fish to that point were from 15 to 22 inches. Tom who was using an ultra light rod and 6lb test, had a tremendous hit on his popping plug and landed a 33 inch bass. Fish really blasted the popper and made a number of nice runs in the shallow water.
Ended up with 9 fish for the night and they were all released. We called it a early night even though the fishing started to pick up, buddy had to get up early tomorrow so we cut the fishing short. It was a very pleasant night and no bugs at all. No signs of any bluefish and lost one popping plug on a breakf-off on the ultralight. Saw bait all night, but never saw any signs of anything chasing it.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ray Nice report. Sorry I could not make it, but check time of my response. Kind of eliminates any fishing the night before. Thanks for asking. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Wow, nice fish on an ultralight! Though, I don't feel bad for not going, as my meeting at work was 10 times as exciting as catching fish....
Oh wait, no it wasn't...

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
The big ones mixed in between all the small fish is what keeps us comming back. Dave if you came down the fish would of sensed it and we would of struggled. Tonight I have a charter, but it is all popping plugs. A man and his young son. Hope we can get a nice one like last night.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Did my charter last night which prevented me from making our SJCFA meeting. Only the second meeting I missed in two years. Back bay is super warm, started out with 76 degrees and found one area that was 78. Evening started very slow. Went over an hour before we even got the first swirl.
About 7:30 the tide was getting better and most of the action started around dusk.

Father had his 6 year old son Mat. For a little guy he could cast well, better than some adults. He had trouble popping plug and his attention span was pretty short, so I ended up hooking him up with fish. Again he did an excellent job of reeling in the fish and listened when I told him not to reel in when the drag was going out.

He ended up with the biggest fish of the night a 25 inch keeper, which he caught on his little light weight rod with 10lb test. While I worked with Mat his dad was able to enjoy catching fish without distraction.
Warm water may be slowing down the fish alittle. After landing fish, they really needed work to get them frisky and swimming strong. This is the first time I have noticed this extreme amount of effort to get them going. We ended up going in alittle early cause Mat had a pretty big night. Really think his highlight for the night was when I let him steer the boat on the way back. Left the fish still hitting and zero wind. I was almost tempted to go back out, but the six year old had me pretty worn out too. We kept Mats fish, and released all the others. Got some fly charters comming up so I should have some fly reports comming soon. Fishing is still staying consistant dispite the warm water. but it has to be low light to dark out.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ray great story (report). I am at the point where I enjoy seeing others catch & when they are youg, it doesn't get any better. Atta boy. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Nice picture and story :-D ! 75+ water is just as tough finding active fish as 50- water.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Wasn't out tonight, but it was hot and humid and went to the beach this afternoon. Went in the surf (boogie boarding) and the water temp was 75. I can't remember it being that warm. I can't imagine how warm the back was tonight. Saw all kinds of fish activity along the beach. Looked like bluefish, saw some bigger splashs and thought I might of seen some spainish mackeral jumping. Only thing I could think of that was long, thin and silver. The whole lenght of the beach had tons of porpoise running up and down.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
In Jim's presentation he said the bonito are already inshore up north (I don't blame them, it's clear and warm inshore). It could have been that you saw or a mack. This might be a great year for pelagics, and who knows, maybe they'll hit our jetties/beaches down here for once!

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Did a bottom fishing trip this morning for fluke,weakies, etc. Started out hitting the inlet jetties with plugs. Wall to wall blues from super small to three pounds. Did get one small striper along the rocks. Water was very clear and you could watch the fish come up several at a time to nail lure. Fish were feeding on spearing sucked around the end with the current. Found the charter had fresh water fly fishing experience. I offered him a fly rod that I had in locker but he wanted to use plug. Went to bait fishing and blues, blues, blues all fluke and weakies throwbacks. Looks like I will be trying the backbay for fluke tomorrow cause the beachfront was just all bluefish. Tides are not good for early morning or dusk back bay this week and I don't think I will get a personal trip in unless it is the middle of the night. After tomorrow I will feel like a striper, all the sun will be getting to me and I will be wanting a cool dark evening.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts