BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope some can get out this week & I'm looking forward to some good report. Johnny & I are launching at 3AM Sun Morning. Catch-um up. Ron

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Sparse, hope you can get out with the weather tomorrow. I must be fishing the flats too much, I tried a personal trip prime time this morning to get fluke for dinner, using bait. I thought it would be a no brainer. I got 12 fish in 2 1/2 hours, where we got some nice ones yesterday, but not one keeper. They were all between 15 and 16 1/4 inches. Fish were in 21 ft of water and with the northeast wind and tide, I didn't even give a fly a thought and had to use electric motor just to get a proper drift. Ended up buying fluke at the Lobster House for Dinner.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Anyone finding any Weakfish yet?? Almost snuckdown last night, but family obligations squashed it.

Freshwater scene is REAL slow, river looks more like April/May than July. 77-80 degrees and no visibility -- bad combination, even the catfish are off. Might have to "prospect" the coastal areas of my territory next week!

Wasteman

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
There are small weakies down at Cape May Point, but they are all small and being caught on bait. You should be able to get some on small clousers and jiggies off the jetties or inbetween. I haven't been down there in awhile. The area also has alot of small blues.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had 2 bass before daylight & then met wife & girlfriend to try for some flounder. Wind came up, lousy water, back to the ramp. Ron

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Put post on Homeport for a change. One thing I forgot to put is that when I hooked my fish in the shallow water there were 20 more fish around boat and the fish that I was casting to. They would spook when fish I hooked took off. Let's you know that you do not have to see working fish to catch some. Bill

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Bill, you are into that middle of the night, fishing with the tide. Good going. I need my beauty sleep and most of my customers want some daylight with their fishing. Got out tonight around 6:30 Tried in the back before the tide got real low. Wind had the water pretty chopped up, but was able to get one 20 inch bass in the big creek with a popping fly, where the wind wasn't too bad. Pulled another one with a baby bunker fly on the point where the flat empties and was getting smacks from some little 10 inch blues. Water was dirty and had a ton of weed so I went out the inlet. Wind had it pretty sloppy. Got one small blue on the baby bunker fly and had a bite off. Plugged and got about a 3lb blue. Worked the end and watched two small schools bunker work around the end, but nothing was working them. Was getting ugly looking, it was dark, the wind was going pretty good and it started to drizzle so I called it an early night. Only saw one other diehard fisherman all night.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Ran down and fished last night. Waited until the rain slowed and went in the back. Started catching fish about 7:15pm and had action the whole time. My son caught one 23"s and when I went to put it back into the water he asked me what I was doing. I told him they had to be 24"s and he said then blow in it's mouth and stretch it. We caught 8 total I got 4 on the fly rod and spent the rest of the time untangling lines and changing lures for my son. Just before we left I was throwing a big plastic and boated a 31" bass. Hope I do as well this weekend.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Had Charter last night. Everything was perfect till about 5:00 when the wind kicked up. Had a strong breeze out to the southeast putting a one foot chop on flats, making flyrod popping almost impossible. Conditions were great with high tide at dusk. Tried working usual hot spots but the wind was getting the best of us. Moved to a leward shore which was better condition wise, but still difficult to cast popping fly into the wind. Ended up with 15 stripers and one blue, with stipers up to 31 inches. Only caught two on fly, a 29 incher on a popper and 21 incher on bunker fly.

Wind died down around dusk but it didn't seem to help with the fly fishing. They would take a popping plug like they were starved, but with the fly we had swirlers, lookers, but no heavy takers. Usually when they hit the popping plugs as hard as they were they will hit the poppping flys just as well. We even had second bass following the hooked bass to the boat. There was a good amount of bait in the water and on and off there would be fish hitting into small pods of baby bunker, but it was few and far between. Water temps were 76 to 78 degrees.

We tried different styles of flys and colors but they just wouldnt't turn on. After dark the water had alot of weed and junk in it from the full moon and the water got very dirty and we had very few hits. Would of posted a picture, but moment of fame is shut down, maybe for good.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
went out last night. boated a nice 13.7 35" bass on bunker imitation. Nice fight. caught 2-33" also. After that switched to spinning outfit and boated a few more 25" and up. Quite night no one around light wind peaceful. Behind OC

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Striperaholic, sounds like you have good fishing there too. Lately it has been hard to get the fish to hit any kind of popping fly. Usually can do real well with it.

With my only free night in the next five, I am going to do a personal trip and bring in Fy Ty R from the flyfishing bull pen. Even though his record down here in Cape May is not the best. I have confidence that he can come down, with perfect conditions and do it tonight. We have pretty much full moon high tide at dusk, and it looks like good weather, other than some pesky wind I am going to give him a good work out. (Dave hows that for applying alittle preassure) After last nights showing of two on the fly out of 15 I am sure we can do better. I hope we don't have to go into extra innings.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I can get it done, coach!! Just put me in the game!! :D

I'll be coming out of the bullpen with fire in my eyes and grit in my teeth!! Let me at 'em!!

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hope you guys have a great evening.

Striper Sod banks, flats, bridge lights or something else?? Throw me a bone for tomorrow evening. Ron

·
Registered
160 Posts
Worked in Monmouth County Wend & Thursday, fished the Point Pleasant area in the inlet on Wend Night and got 5 or 6 Herring, one was a bonafide monster, I'm guessing 25" or so with some girth. Missed a few more as well.

All were caught on small silverside patterns on an intermediate sink-tip. All hits were on the swing, couldn't get anything stripping. Everything landed hit the dropper fly.

Hit a party boat for Blues on Thursday night, had a pool winning night. Won with a 15 + pounder and had a second fish in the bag that may have been bigger, never had to weigh it in as all challengers stepped down! I saved the big one for pictures on the dock, but some wingnut stole the fish off the deck while I was recieving the pool money! I hope he tasted good!

Wasteman

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Go ahead Johnny!! Bet the fly rod made a big hit on the blue boat. :D Glad you got out. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ron,
It was tough fishing down there in Cape May last night (but then again, when is it NOT for me...?? :D ) The wind never let up, and it was pretty annoying. It was a workout even casting my 8wt and a slim fly into it, but I did eventually get some fish. I got a nice little 15" blue and an even smaller striper (about 12" or less, Ray got a pic). I was using a slim profile mushymouth fly, even though blues and bass were busting on bunker schools. Ray had a lot more action than I did, though, as he was mostly throwing big popping plugs against the sod (I admit, I did that for a while too where the wind was really obnoxious). I forget how many swirls and hits he had, but he ended up landing 5 bass. None were bigger than 23", though. I think the combo of the really warm water (76 in spots), full moon, and wind, made it tough for everything out there.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Dave did a good job. The wind was constant. I thought it was bad the night before, but last night it was windier and it never let up like it did thursday. Wind from the Southeast reall pushed and extra amount of water in the bay and with the high full moon tide, I think the bait was way up the creeks and ontop of the sodbanks. With the wind we couldn't wait for the tide to get lower. I think it would of been much better then. It was brutal. It was hard to get Dave in a good direction to even cast. I used popping plug most of the night cause I couldn't fly cast and control the boat at the same time.

Dave keeps telling me elephants eat peanuts. He keeps using these super small flys and keeps getting peanuts. :D Maybe it just does work down here. Had to go down as one of the toughest nights condition wise to fish with a fly rod. Will give Dave a no decision on this game. If I can find a place to post picture, you will see Daves monster.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Forgot, Daves jetski buddies most of followed him from Corsons. We just started fishing a point last night. we are within fly casting range of it when two come along at about 60 mph. One guy goes 5 ft off the Sod bank between us and shore and the other atleast went on the other side of us where there was atleast 75 yards of room. Dave almost cast and hit the guy with the fly and he gave us a dirty look.

Oh, yea that striper that Dave says he caught on the fly, I think he pulled it out of his pocket. Never saw one that small before down here.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts

Here is that monster that Dave battled to the boat. Couldn't use the net cause it would of slipped through one of the holes.

Here is the largest on fly the night before.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Don't know why they didn't come up. They showed in the preview. Will have to figure out how to post all over again since moment of fame is nolonger in use.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts