BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some good results last week, ending with a picture of Dave's huge bass. Bet it really got into the backing. Hope some can get out this week. Ron

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Saturday evening was another brutal night. Wind was blowing hard again from the southeast all day and with the full moon tides we had a super low tide. Got to the flats around 6:00pm and unlike the day before with Dave, where the water was coffee about 25 feet from the banks it was total coffee colored. Better yet the temperature was 82 degrees. I have never seen it that warm back there. Again, like with Dave we worked around looking for bait with the tide comming in. I figured it would have to cool down some and clear up as the tide came in. There seem to be alot of bait still but less sprays of baby bunker being chased and all that was pushing it was small blues.

Worked the whole area hard with the wind not letting up one bit and by the time we got to in intercoastal waterway the temperature was 77 degrees and the wind was still honking. Ended back on the flats around 7:30 where we had all our action in an hour and a half. Water temperature was 78 and the fish were all small.
2 blues on the fly and 2 more blues 3 bass to 21 inches on popping plug. Even passing the inlet area the water temp was 76 buy the toll bridge. I believe these super high water temps really have the fish slowed down. Haven't caught fish over the 77 mark.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
At 82*, you start fishing for tarpon and redfish... :D Sounds like another busted night. Now I see we've got some kind of tropical storm down off GA; it might head up this way and make life difficult for a while.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Some days you just live right. The guy who went out last night had a trip scheduled tonight with him and is 14 year old daughter. Weather didn't look good all day. We delayed trip to see what would happen. Left the dock at 6:30 looked clear toward Delaware Bay and Black to the south and over the ocean with some rumbles in the distance.
Turned out to be a good move. Very little wind and it turned out to be a perfect night weather wise, beautiful sunset and even a rainbow over the ocean.

Fishing wise it was another difficult night. We worked very hard and strikes were few and far between, but ended up with 5 bass 19 to 25 inches and 4 blues up to 1lb and half. One bass and two blues on the fly, but it should of been much better. There were bay anchovies everywhere. Everytime you popped a popper or fly the bait would spray. Didn't see any big sprays of baby bunker like the previous nights and barely a swirl could be seen anywhere and it was like a mirrow. Has to be the water temperature. We had 76 to 78 degrees. It has to be the upper limits of bass tolerance. With the bait and conditions there should of been bass everywhere. Fish even felt hot when you put them back in the water. It was his daughters first saltwater fishing and she did super well and she had the biggest striper that she popped up, hooked and reeled in. She needed a rest, saying that her wrist was sore but went back at it alittle while later. Turned out to be beautiful, stars came out, the moon came up and almost cancelled. Should of had some nice pictures, but left camera on front seat of truck. Did use clients camera and got some good pictures for him and his daughter to remember the trip.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Hit the wall last night. The water is just getting too warm for active striper fishing. Left the dock at 6:00 pm. Headed to the inlet with charter for a change of pace figuring we had plenty of time for the water to rise in the back flats. Water temperature, comming in the inlet was 75 degrees. Thought with the overcast and bait might have something going. Lots, of small blues.

After an hour,we headed to the back. Conditions looked perfect other than the warm water 77. The water did get down to 75 at the top of the tide but it didn't seem to make a difference. Hardly saw a swirl or any bait movement, other than what we were disturbing with our casts. There was bait everywhere, dead calm and overcast.
Had two really good fishermen onboard. We caught over 20 some blues all small and two small stripers 17 and 19 inches. Don't get that many blues normally in a whole week back there. Only conclusion is that the water is way too warm. Fish feel hot when you unhook them. Don't think the beach front is going to be fishable with this storm moving up the beach. It was a long hard night.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Talked to a guy who fishes the backbay behind Stone Harbor, and he had exactly the same lack of striper activity where he usually does good. He also had the super warm water and loaded with blues. I guess with the lack of any reports, everyone is suffering the same conditions.

Did net a whole pail of peanut bunker this morning in the marina. Not for BFT but may have to chum them to get a bass. Other choice is to seed area with block ice to cool it down alittle.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ray Ice may help. :D Nice story about the 14 year old. My 12 yr grandaughter goes with me a couple on nights a summer, & it is a real high when she gets one. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ray,
How about you build a time machine, trap all that 50* water you had in the back 2 months ago, and release it in the present?? :D It might work.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dave,
I just saw a flux capacitor on Ebay. I say we pool our money and start working on that space-time continuum thingy your'e talking about. Cool water here we come..
RD

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Got out tonight with charter. Worked out good. They were freshwater trout guys with light rods. Went to the inlet where the blues were thick. Mostly all small with several near 3 lb. They had a blast. Missed one nice bass there. Might of been a slot but broke off. Found he was using 6lb leader. They were happy to keep working the blues as they were used to small little trout. They couldn't believe the power of the blues. Ended up in the flats. The water was the same 75 76 degrees pulled more blues out of there and got one small bass on popping plug. They were super happy so I guess all is well. It has been like pulling teeth to get stripers with this warm water lately.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Great job as always Cap! Cating fish is the name of the game.
Excellent observation, though. The feeding window of a bass becomes smaller as the water temp becomes higher than their comfort zone. I don't eat much when I'm sweating either..go figure, right?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Rocco:
They have them now on eBay?
If we can get the 1.21 Gigawatts of electricity, we'll be in the game. I just need to find some Libyans I can get the Plutonium from... :D

Ray:
I'll take 3lb blues all day too! Especially on light gear. Sounds like it's turning around for you. Good thing, too.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Just when you think it can't get any warmer. Mated for a fellow capt. on a tuna trip today. On the way back the water was 76.6 all the way back to the inlet. Didn't get to fish tonight but I bet it has to be in the 80's with another real low tide in the afternoon and hot sun all day. Any stripers around have to be in were the water is deep and somewhat cooler. Maybe the rain and the cool front will help.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Got out for Blue Fin today. Out of Somers Point. Bay was nice and first few miles on way out to Triple Lumps not too bad. Water temp was only 72. Once we got out about 5-10 miles it started getting pretty ugly. Decided just to troll so no fly rod. Trolled for two hours. Notta. Went back to inlet and bay and caught a few small weakies and blues. Guys back at dock had a 30" fluke and a couple that were a little smaller.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
saw a blitz today in the bright sunshine. around 1:00pm on the beach. small to medium blues crushing bait. it started about 100 yards from the beach, and then came right into the surf. pretty sweet. no one around the beach seemed to even notice. all i had was a bucket and some plastic toys, so no fish for me, but it was great to see.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Joe, no yaks allowed on the beach? If so you could paddle out some evening and probably knock them good. I saw a couple of paddlers today off the Wildwood beach. I was asking them if they saw any bunker or masses of bait. My family has used mine a few times this year but so far I haven't taken it out yet. I keep thinking about popping it off the beach some morning, but always decide to take the boat instead.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts