BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be the week for some good fishing. Tides will be good, weather appears to continue to be fine. Catch-um-up.

As to my teaser. I saw a picture of a fly-rod caught 10lb some ounces weakfish caught in the Barnagat bay area. It was a huge looking fish. Been lots of years since I saw weakfish that large. Ron

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I thought you were going to say something about(the lure)....

[ 07-09-2004, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Frank Mihalic ]

·
Registered
771 Posts
Fished behind AC 2am ti 8:30am not much happening only,only found snappers.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Launched with John a little after 3AM top of the tide. Only bluefish at the bridge, we left. Went to the lake, had tons of bait, a few pops & we had 3 on small poppers. Very quiet morning, slow sunrise & it was great to be there. Ron

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Tides bad where I fish in the back, took a few days off to help daughter with some work. Did mate for a fellow Capt. offshore yesterday. We lost a 250 to 300 lb. Mako that kinked wire leader and got off but landed a 100 pounder. Water was very warm 76.5 had one big bluefish and a bonito. Being the mate I couldn't even take the flyrod along. I would of thought we would see some dolphin, but it was a nice day. Hope to do something tonight to get me on track again.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Got out tonight. After all day with little wind it kicked up as I was going out. I had outgoing tide and I guess working in the heat all day I just couldn't get excited tonight. It was stay at home and go to a concert with my wife, down town, or go fishing. The choice was easy.

Worked up 4 small bass on the flyrod, two on popping fly and one on baby bunker and one on black silicone head mullet and then got a case of I think I will just sit in chair and electric motor around and plug. Got 7 on popping plug, all small ones. Fish for the night ranged from 16 inches to 22 inches. Since all the fish were small, I just couldnt get excited like usual tonight. Found most of the fish at the mouth of alittle creek and stayed almost too long. There was just enought water to get me out, other wise this post would be tomorrow morning.

No fish pictures and no pretty sunset tonight, it was pretty much clouded over as was my atitude. I had a fun night, but my heart just wasn't in it tonight.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Light rain, strong wind and thunder in the distance. Canned tonights trip. Sometimes you make the right decision and use your head. When I got home it started raining harder and lightning and thundering pretty heavy. Not a good night to play human lightning rod.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ray Good move. I thought about it & then thought better of it. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
It never stopped pouring where I was. It was a constant thunderstorm all day and night. Well, we needed the rain at least.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Got good tides tonight, but the wind is blowing pretty hard. Hard to have fun with the flyrod with the chop and wind. If I cancel my fly charter for tonight, (only wants to use popping fly) I might take my brother who is up from Fla. out. He is desperate to go fishing. Might just be a plugging night with the wind chop. Rocco said he was going to try and make it out tonight and we would meet out on the water. Need some of those calm nights for maximum effect.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ray,
No go for tonite, work wasn't too cooperative. I know a few guys who are out hitting the small creeks near me. I'll be down this weekend maybe we'll give it a shot.
Rocco

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Have not had time to post but better late than never. Fished Frid night with freind, two missed fish on gurggler and my buddy caught a 32" bass on a deceiver. Fished long and hard for that fish. Went Sunday middle of day with a freind who is here from Arizona. It was like nothing I would like to experience again in my boat with all of the traffic. I will stick to the night. Caught one short bass and lost another at the boat. Both on plastics. Went last night with Capt. John to a new area that we have been trying and we caught 2 bass one 24.75"s two flounder one 18.5"s and two blues. Had two fish on the fly but lost them both, one on popper and one on bunker pattern. Had a great night found some good looking water. Had to find other area besides Cape May it is getting too crowded lately.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bill Nothing exact, but what area were you fishing?? & the tide?? Ron

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Ron, which day? I usually try to fish the top of the incoming and the out going. Most nights I fish about 4 hours but sometimes 6hours. We are starting to explore up the coast. Capt. John fished LBI last fall and some this spring and we are planning some trips up there this fall as well. We are not up that far yet, we are in the Wildwood area now. Will fish a few trips there and then move north to Stone Harbor.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Late posts, My brothers family and my dad are visiting and with charters and rain it has been alittle hectic. Got charter in monday night, the wind let up and it got nice at dusk. 4 Bass and 2 blues on the fly, two bass and blues on popping fly and other 2 bass on a baby bunker fly. Had a number of swirlers and light hits, with good amount of bait. All bass were small 19 to 22 inches. Water temps 72 in the back but had cold water with the incomming down to 66.

Got out yesterday morning at 4:30, with my brother and the fishing was slow. I got one small bass on the fly and we got 3 on popping plugs. Best water was 68 down to 64 degrees and the bait we saw the night before was no where to be found. Swirls and strikes were few and far between. Did get 2 blues too. Fish again were all small.

Last nights charter, I cancelled. It was really nasty, High winds and rain for a extended period. Looked like mini hurricane winds for about an hour. Don't know what all this will do to the fishing. Looks and feels like a fall morning.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Rocco, I looked for you monday, but since it started out pretty windy I figured you might of hung close to your area. I am mating for another captain on saturday and will be helping my daughter move to condo on sunday. Keep in touch.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Bigger fish in the back bay than Delaware Bay. Went out with a friend today. He wanted to take 8 young kids fishing and needed some help. No flyrods. All the fluke we caught were throwbacks, Caught a ton of small weakies, all throwbacks and in the rips there was a load of blues, all throwbacks. The kids were all excited with the action, but not a keeper in the lot. Can't wait to work the flats again. Would of gone tonight with the good tides, but out of steam after baiting a thousand hooks, and untangling lines all day and mating on for a fellow captain tomorrow.

As a side note, saw two small schools of good sized bunker splashing along inside Cape May Harbor and we saw a few schools going down the beach, but nothing under them and the water was warm and very clean.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts