BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, looks as though this week will start a little slow. However, a hurricaine or 3 ago, I found bait tight to the lee of a bridge & caught 5 bass in as many casts. Had to keep the backast low if I remember. BTW all my southern properties survided. Ron

[ 08-14-2004, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: sparse grey ]

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Went tuna fishing last week and brought my fly rod. Got into some bonita and albacore up to 15lbs. on fly. Man what a rush. We boated some yellow fin up to 80 lbs. ( not on fly) tried for tuna on fly but I was out matched on that one.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Last week was one of the slowest of the year. Weather, Wind and seems like everyone has a case of the Ho Hums. We need something to get us excited again. Hopefully the SJCFA meeting in Ocean City, and fishing afterwards will be the spark we all need. We were lucky Charley only gave us rain and not too heavy winds.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went To a couple of docks that I have access to & haven't tried for a few years. First one the had removed the lights from the fuel dock, which was near the entrance, nothing there. On the long walk back to the parking lot, heard some disturbance near 2 sailboats & went 2 for 3 on decent bass. Second dock was dead. Half in-coming very little wind. Back home before sun-up. Ron

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Good going there Ron. Seems like you have to pull out all the tricks in the book. This morning off the bow of my boat at my slip, I cast netted a mess of baby bunker. Put them in bags for chumming up bass later in the year. Only thing ever hitting on them in the marina is 6 to 8 inch blues. My marina needs a good dredging. Low tide there is only a foot under the boats, so it doesnt hold many big fish like some of the other marinas. I keep looking though.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ron,
Glad to hear your southern haunts are still there :D .

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
BMcFly and I were going to do a charter trip last night. With the conditions slow last week and all the rain from the storm, I told him let's leave early and do a recon and find what was going on to see if it was worth doing a charter.

Just as we left the dock it started to rain. No big deal where were both somewhat prepared. Went to the inlet water temps comming in 71 degrees and my hopes for good fishing picked up. Water comming in was very dirty for the incomming tide. There was bird action on bait but no fish action. Bill was using intermediate and I was using heavy sinking around the rocks. No bites.

Went to the back bay no wind conditions looked great water 72 but very cloudy, you could see fly down about a foot and a half. After flinging flys for awhile with no hits we both started casting popping plugs to see if we could raise any fish. We got a few small blues and there were not the usual sprays of bait fish or bait activity. The wind and the rain picked up more so we called it a night. We stopped by the bridge on the way back and at the top of the tide the water was ugly brown and you could only see down a foot. Need things to change alittle for the fishing to improve.

Had a fun night fishing with Bill and he and I will be driving up to SJCFA meeting Tuesday since he has a house close by. Bill is looking forward to meeting everyone and interested in our program and winter tying sessions and lives fairly close to our main meeting place.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Another interesting night in Cape May. After last night, out with Bill and not being able to buy a bass bite, I was determined to go out tonight and find a place where I could find them.
My buddy who was going to go, got a ticket to dinner at the Mid Atlantic Tournament and since the fishing was so slow lately he said he would probably have the more fun night.

Started out at the inlet and met the fellow who I sold my old electric motor to. He just got a brand new 20 foot parker. He also joined SJCFA last year. We are talking and he says he still wants to stay a member but he hasn't had any free nights to make meetings due to work. We look about and we are both drifting close to the rocks at the end of the jetty and it pretty nasty with the tide and the waves from the tide ripping in. He pulls away and I start and realize in have my 400 grain sinking line wrapping around my prop. I go as fast as I can to the bow and put down my trolling motor to get away from the rocks so I don't suck all of my fly line around the prop. So now I am hanging over the back with my life vest on unwrapping line while trying to stay away from all of the boats comming in from the tournament. Not a great way to start the evening. I get two small blues and it is off to the backbay to recon.

I do the run and gun. looking at some new areas that I know should hold some fish, looking for signs of life, bait anything. I work a couple of areas and nothing looks fishy so I head back to where Bill and I fished last night. It is the same thing there. I now decide to work a creek mouth that I haven't tried in awhile. This whole time I am using a popping plug just trying to find some fish activity somewhere.

At the mouth of this creek on the incomming there are alot of bay anchovies and on almost every cast I hook about a 15 inch blue, so now I swing over to the flyrod with a baby bunker fly. I am having fun and I am hooking up on just about every cast. After about 4 blues I hook up a slot fish 24 1/2 inches long. Here is the picture.
I can't believe it. I know the fishing has been slow, but is this what I get, I have a good laugh.
Does this even count as a striper? Well I am feeling pretty good. About 2 more blues later I get alittle 20 inch bass and I am feeling even better.

About 10 casts later I hook in to a big one. Big spash of water and right into the backing. I am excited and life is good again. I net the fish and measure it. 34 inches. It is long and skinny but it is my longest of the year. I unhook the fish and reach over the console to get my camera and hook my shirt up on the treble of the plug standing upright. As I am getting unhooked I hear a thump, thump, splash. This just wasn't my night. After this I got a couple more blues and started to work around the sodbanks. After getting tired of casting the flyrod, I swung back to a black popping plug and got two more small bass and a few more blues.

Fished till about 10:30 and it was dead calm. Oh yea, the greenheads, knats, and skeeters were out pretty good. Overall had a good night even though murphys law was on board. Water temps were 71 to 72. Had to work hard for the fish tonight, but hope things will be getting back to normal.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ray Nice. Thanks for sharing. Ron

·
Registered
771 Posts
I"ve seen 2 other bass with the same injury alive and 1 dead one washed up on the beach.Ive been told they are from props.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
You think a prop did such symmetrical damage? It looks more like a nice shark bite taken out of it. But you're probably right, it's probably props. Or it was Keith, feeling the need to stick to C&R, but wanting a nice meal.... (I know, I know, I had to start off with the C&R jokes already...
) Wow, 34" bass! Nice!! Who cares if you didn't get the pic, it's a great story. I think the change in water temp from the storms might have turned them back on. Maybe we'll have a good night at Corsons.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
The bass was all healed up, so it must of happen awhile ago. I would of liked a picture of the bigger bass just to have it. I was going to release it anyway. It wasn't has heavy as the 33 incher I got awhile back. It was lean an mean and very thin. I really don't think it is turned on. Fish action was in a little area not more than 50 yards long and everywhere else was pretty dead with a token strike here and there. Water was still very murky. Even at the bridge on the way back the water at the top of the tide was brown and you could only see down about a foot.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
RAY---WHEN I SEE A BASS LIKE THAT TOTALY HEALED I WONDER IF THE MORTATALY RATE ON THEM IS LESS THEN PEOPLE THINK. GREAT NIGHT YOU HAD.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Biggest, you are right. Especially when they are in the salt. I know for a fact when they are in the freshwater spawning the warm water and lack of oxygen hurts them. Sometimes you get a fish that has a damaged or no eye and they seem to survive that. I think they are alot stronger than we think. Only about three fish a year do I have my doubts on and I release hundreds of bass. They all swim away with gusto.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
After the SJCFA fishing at Corsons, I stopped at WaWa for a coffee and headed home. Being the diehard that I am and since I didn't take my wadders off. I decided to fish a highly classified sod bank in the Cape May Area. (More of my home turf)(or sodbank) Started about 10:30 Water was super high. I put on my inflatable life vest and ventured out. Water was up over the banks about 20 feet and about a foot deep. Tons of minnows on top so I had to give it a try.

After about 30 casts I had a hit so I got alittle excited. It was only a bluefish hit, but it was a hit. Worked along the bank, not wanting to get too close cause of the steep drop off. Worked to an area wher a little flat cuts in off the deep area and saw a pop.

Ended up 3 for about 12 hits all bass, 22 to 23 inches long. Like I promised last night if I caught something I would take a picture.

First fish was 22 inches caught on Enrico black popper with swivel tail, one of my go to poppers.

Fish number two was 23 inches. No picture of fish number three. The tide had gone down about a foot and while trying to get it up over the edge of the sodbank my leader broke, but it was about the same size. Fished till 1:00 saw some lightning off in the distance and called it a night. They were my first three sodbank fish of the year. I guess I am not one demension any more.
Here is second fish swimming away. I have another good picture of the release but can't seem to get that one downloaded.

I went home a very happy camper after a long but super night.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Ray,

Nice pics and glad you caught a few. Sorry I couldn't make the meeting last night, I had to work late. I posted a reply to you in the Striper Forum.

I'll be down Labor Day week, maybe I can get you and Dave to try the "secret flats" ;) during my vacation.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Steve, you missed a fun night. Now all I need is to catch a bass while chest deep in water, where you fish to be a well rounded saltwater fly guy. We will have to see what happens. I would like to give that a try.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
You know I'm game! :D

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Dave, out where you live, you are the only guy I know that gets cabin fever during the summer too. Oh, thats right, it's not cabin fever, you don't have air conditioning, it's just plain hot. :D Always fun to fish with you, sorry for the abuse.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts