BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be a good week if weather co-operates. Tides should be good & I hope some can get out. John & I are launching tomorrow AM if his medical problems are solved. He does have five girls in the family. Ron

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bringing this to the top. This AM was WAY SLOW. Ron

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Decided to do the smart thing and work on boat early this evening. Then did the dumb thing. Wind completely stopped and it was low tide and the water looked like coffee. Went out for two hours and tried the beachfront and the jetties, which I thought might be the only shot. Gorgous evening but fishing very poor.
Got two mercy bite blues on small jiggie, but no signs of birds, bait or life. The picture made it look like one of those night you should of been there, but the smart people stayed home. Hope to get a dolphin tomorrow. Heading off to south Poormans in search of marlin and hope to find a weed patch etc. for some flyrod dolphin.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My girfriend & bride & I spent a nice hour on one of the docks after evening church. Plenty of bait, a few small bluefish but no bass. Very pleasant easy evening. BTW one of the pilings took some drag but didn't get into the backing. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ron:
You hooked into one of them there fighting docks again, did ya?? :D I've done it quite a few times myself. The one thing you DON'T want to hook into is the underwater cables going to the islands. They'll yank the rod right outta yer hands!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Was out in State College, PA this weekend helping my nephew move in for the fall semester, so I took the opportunity to explore one of my favorite trout spots. On Sunday I spent about 1 1/2 hours at Fisherman's Paradise (Spring Creek) and picked up 4 nice browns a fat 'bow. Water was a bit murky from the rains, but they were eating caddis emergers. Absolutely gorgeous day and a few fishies to stretch the old fly line. Who could ask for more?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I was out in LE Inlet last night, the water was 72 degrees. There was lots of peanut bunker running around and tons of small blues munching on them in a deep hole. Luckily I had the fly rod with me. For about an hour, I got a lot of hits and bite off's, but I didn't/couldn't land even one of those little suckers. It was still awesome seeing the frenzy. I've never been in the middle of one before.

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
At Lavalette yesterday, spent the afternoon crabbing. Oh yeah, went with the kids as well to try to catch crabs
Didn't do much except about 2 dozen tiny crabs (2-3"), was casting for some snappers. Not many around, got 2 hits but that's it (on my pheobe behind a popper).

Now, in the neverendingribbingofmylifewifewon'tforgetthisone category, I hooked a whopper.

No, not myself.

No, not someone on the dock.

No, I didn't get bit by a crab.

Background, whenever someone left the dock, they chucked their leftover chicken/fishhead/squid whatever over the side and the seagulls went nuts diving for it.

Yup, you guessed it.

I cast out my snapper rig while someone at the other end of the dock had tossed some bait, and the seagulls dove, and one flew right into my line....of course dragging my rig out of the water and getting all tangled up.

Thankfully I had a pair of gloves with me, my knife and I slowly dragged the poor bird in, let it bite my glove and controlled it's beak, and got it cut out of the line and released (a new C&R for me), flying off into the proverbial sunset not much worse off.

This is getting bad. My wife now has 2 great stories to tell everyone about this year's adventures.

-- Rob

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Don't worry, it happens to everyone. I hooked an infamous Cape May seagull on Capt. Ray's boat a few weeks ago. Luckily the hook didn't embed into the bird, it only grabbed onto a feather or something. But I had a good fight for a few seconds in the 8wt! I've seen guys hook those huge herring gulls with fully rigged poppers. Talk about an ugly sight!

Oh yeah, I also hooked a Canada goose with a spinnerbait once. It totally wasn't my fault... :D Stupid birds and their stupid breeding territories along highly travelled paths...

[ 08-23-2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
well, it wouldn't have been half as bad if my wife wasn't along!

I have had birds try to steal my flies before, that's when I think the pattern I tied isn't too bad.

-- Rob
BTW, last week I tried for the blues on the fly, but there weren't many around (as I reported on a different site), but I was trying the technique of letting a spin guy draw the blue(s) closer to shore and then laying my fly next to his popper. Got one swirl at it, but couldn't get a take.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
The bait n' switch? That's a good technique for poppers and bass in the evenings too. Throw out a popper with no hooks until you get a follow swirl, then quickly throw in your fly and you'll probably get hit. You have to be very quick, though.

I don't care how much other people say bluefish are easy to catch, some of the toughest fish around here to catch are snapper blues in the summer. They can key in on the tiny baits, just like stripers or albies do, and will refuse anything else. Just because they're blitzing doesn't mean they'll hit anything. And the fact that they're blitzing all around you makes it even more frustrating when they won't even give your lure/fly a passing glance.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sea Monkey Tie some flies on a long shank hook starting past mid-hook, if you don't use wire.

I've hooked sea gulls, pelicans, turtles Plus some others. Lots of fun. Yeah right. The turtle I broke off right away as I like them & really didn't want to mess with this one, about 3 ft wide. Birds I cover with net & use rag on bill & body to contain them. Helps to have help. Ron

·
Registered
789 Posts
Sea monkey,

When the snapper blues or even cocktail blues are my target, I usually go to a fly tied on a long shank hook and use a tippet of 25-30 pound test mono. I have not had many bite offs with this rig. Wire is the way to go for the bigger blues. For the missed bites it sometimes helps to rig a stinger hook as the small blues normally hit the rear half of the fly. If you mash down the barb on your fly, you can run the eye of the stinger hook right onto your fly.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Paul,
If they were on peanuts, a simple little sparse baby angel tied to the rear of the hook (instead of up by the eye) might have worked. Or a baby angel cut in half and allowed to free drift might have gotten you a striper or weakie under the blues.

And like logic said, a stinger hook would have helped your hook-up ratio.

I've noticed with those springtime blues up to 5lbs, I use a regular jiggy on a longshank hook with a 20lb tippet and have no problems with bite-offs. Although the little snappers might not find them interesting this time of year.

I don't use wire as it is simply one more thing for me to lose on the water
. Unless there are 10lb+ gator blues around, having wire isn't really necessary.

[ 08-23-2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
4 Posts
And I quote - "My girfriend & bride & I spent a nice hour on one of the docks after evening church."

Sparse, I think it really shows an open mind when your bride will spend time with you and your girlfriend!

Just kidding!

Greg

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Greg Welcome to the barn & I hope you enjoy your stay. "girlfriend & bride". Let's just say I'm very fortunate. Ron

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've yet to catch a gull on a fly, though I've had them pick the fly up, but resisted the temptation to set the hook. I do have three on lures though caught a couple of years ago. They were all hooked in the beak and were quickly relased once I reeled them in. Though the two I caught on a windy day drew some interesting comments from the non-fishing crowd. They both got up into the wind and were resisting being pulled in by spreading their wings, so they looked like kites. I had people asking me where I got such realistic looking kites, and commenting on the techique of using a fishing rod and reel to fly one. I had to use fish fighting techniques to bring them down so I could relase them. I've never hooked one of the big gulls, but years ago saw a guy hook a granddaddy gull on the Brigantine jetty. He was taking his time making the cast, and the gull grabbed his bait. He didn't have a clue the gull was on and when he made his forward cast the weight of the gull threw him off balance and he landed on his butt, dropping his rod. The gull took off but didn't get far. It took about 10 minutes before we got the net on it, so we could unhook it.

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
my other "gull" story was from 20+ years ago. bait fishing with rigged mullet. I had rigs lying behind me and one of those big gulls came down and swallowed one whole. I turned around to see a 3oz sinker hanging out of its mouth. I chased the bugger to at least cut the sinker off, but it ran down the jetty (there were big jetties up here back then) and jumped off the end into the water. It fluttered and drifted away and I guess died. might of lived...possibly if it "passed" the hook after the sinker inevitably fell off.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Back when I bait fished a lot in the salt, I had a big trolling squid on a cutting board on an infamous pier down here. I took it partly out of the package to cut it into strips for fluke, and as I turned around to get my knife, a big herring gull swooped down and took it, package and all. This wasn't a little squid, it was one of those huge offshore trolling squids. I was surprised it took the whole thing.

And that day I vowed never to fish with bait again....

Ok, maybe not...

[ 08-24-2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Good to see there is alot of guys out fishing. Sea Monkey, got to use those jiggys. I catch a ton of blues on those long shanked jiggys, usually to the point to where there is little hair left on them. I have also used the wire leader and it hasn't slowed the action.

Birds will pick at a popping fly, but that just means it must look pretty real. Never hooked one on the fly, but would suggest using a 10 wt if you want to land them.

No flyrod report from my offshore trip to the South Poormans monday. Dolphin were no where to be found. Ran the 83 miles to where the water was 78. First 5 minutes we missed a blue marlin. Wacked our baits and that was it. We were targeting white marlin. Tuna were around. They would chase pods of bait to the surface and charge through it. Didn't dare throw the fly out. Only had a 10 wt and the Yellowfins were in the 60 to 90 lb range and the Long fins were in the 50 range. As it was it took 20 minutes or more to land the 80 + pounder on 30 lb test light rods and it took 3/4 of the line off the reel on the first run. We keep 3 and released 3 and still had more meat than we needed. Even by passed some feeding schools since we were only going to release them anyway. Dolphin have be far and few this year, but I always take the flyrod incase.

Buddies were going out again today. I couldn,t go. Even I have to work sometimes. I guess I might have to invest in some heavier gear since the dolphin aren't as plentiful. Even with heavy gear, the tuna can still run pretty deep when you are in water over a 1000 feet deep. In my heart I wanted to throw a fly out there, but my wallet said no. Had my taste of the blue water with beautiful flat conditions. With the good tides it will be backbay the rest of the week with some good tuna dinners. First trip in a couple of years where I could find atleast one dolphin for the flyrod.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts