BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to read some good-uns this week. I launched this AM at 3AM, empty parking lot one other boat at nearby bridge. A little NW wind, outgoing tide nothing visible. Did sneak in 2 decent bass & lost something large. Did not have the buoy on the anchor line so I couldn't release. It was a large fish. Hope some of you can get out. Ron

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Sparse, good you got out. Two bass and something big. Sounds pretty good atleast you got some action. I decided to go out late this morning to try and get some fluke for dinner. 4 throwbacks and some sandsharks. Did play with some small blues for awhile with the fly rod. They were my highlight of the day. Was a bit windy for a good drift, tons of boat traffic. I have to go out and fish daytime once in awhile to remind me why I don't. Did take a ride up the Wildwood oceanfront looking for signs of fish on the fishfinder or some bird action but there was none to be found.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Fished the super secret jetty yesterday evening. Wind was really nasty and annoying. Saw a pod of rays working over a nice school of anchovies. Thought I also saw a lone mullet jump, but it might have been a baby blue. Either way, the water was too murky to get anything, and the wind made sight casting fairly difficult. There were no other signs of life anywhere, except for the trillions of shoobies...

·
Registered
587 Posts
I fished the beach front in Harvey Cedars last night. It was a beautiful evening with just a light breeze. I didn?t have a thermometer, but the water was VERY warm and was gin-clear. Unfortunately I couldn?t buy a bite (on the fly or with bait). I had a relaxing evening all the same.

For a while I was using the 9wt Lamiglass fly rod that was given to the SJCFA to test. The rod is much faster and more powerful than my Reddington 8/9wt rod. I was throwing a Teeny 9wt intermediate line, and once I got used to the timing I could cast about 15? further than I can with my rod, and with better accuracy.

I can?t wait to try the 8wt test rod. I really encourage all the SJCFA members to borrow one of these test rods and fish with it in your home waters and in normal fishing conditions. Casting a few times in a shop or at a show doesn?t compare to fishing with a rod. I think it is pretty cool that I had this kind of opportunity.

I?ll be returning this rod at the next SJCFA meeting. Since this will be a fishing meeting, someone should definitely try it out that night.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Light breeze?? Gin clear water?? Where were you fishing? :D Down in L'port the wind was a steady SW 20mph with gusts to 25 or 30 until after nightfall, and water was dirty brown. Is Harvey Cedars different in its spatial orientation along the coast (eg. L'port faces SW to NE)? I'm not quite sure. You might have had the island blocking some of the wind.

It takes some getting used to casting a fast action rod. It won't load as easily, but will give you more power/distance when casted correctly. I'm glad you figured it out and didn't give up!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think I would have actually preferred to have dirtier water last night. In the clear water I could easily see that there was nothing anywhere near my fly.

Anyway, I did get to test a great rod, and to experiment and watch the action of my flies with different retreives. It was a good evening.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
No flyfishing for me today. Mated for another capt. East Lump all small bluefin and one 30 inch bluefish. Found out the guy that booked the trip was an avid flyfisherman. If I would of know that in advance I could of taken a flyrod with some baby bunker and maybe got a shot for him. Water with the incomming was in the lower 70's so I hope backbay will be back to normal this week with the stripers. Sounds like the beach has been slow too. Marina is loaded with baitfish and peanut bunker so things should get better.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Today was one of those days when a good day at work was better than a bad day fishing. If you had to work today, lucky you. Went out today for some back bay fluking. Wind wasn't too bad early morning but it kept getting stronger as the day progressed. Short fluke, small blues and sandsharks were the only things around and I didn't see or here of anyone getting a keeper. Worked behind Wildwood and spent most of the time around Herefords. Even used electric motor to try and control the drift better, but the wind took its toll. By afternoon it was solid white caps in the inercoastal waterway. Ocean was whipped to a fury. If you didn't fish you didn't miss a thing.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ouch!!! Ron

·
Registered
49 Posts
CapemayRay
I how it gets better by Sunday.........
Can you suggest any particular Flies to bring.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bmcfly Welcome to the board. Hope to hear from you in the future. Welcome!!. Ron

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
BMcFly, welcome to the barn. For our trip on Sunday You can bring what ever flys you have. I have been using poppers, but decievers and baby bunker flys will also work. Just hope the weather settles down alittle. Cancelled tonights trip. Winds were blowing high 20's into the thirties all day long without let up. Back bay was like coffee and had a white caps and a foot and a half chop. Here is a shot of the beach around 4:30 this afternoon.
It actually makes it look nicer than it really was. Sand was blowing on the beach and the wind is still blowing as I write. I hope to get tomorrow nights trip in. Supposed to be 5 to 10 mph but a better chance of thunderstorms tomorrow night. Got good tides at sunset this week but mother nature is making it difficult.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If Sunday turns out to be bad, I am down until the following Monday.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
I am sure there has to be a good day in there somewhere. Tuesday is our SJCFA meeting and it will be in Ocean City, with fishing after the meeting. You said you wanted to attend a meeting. That would be a good time, we could drive up together since you will be down here.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Slow night last night. Had perfect tide conditions with wind more than I would like but very fishable. Water temps too high for good striper fishing 76 to 78. Got two little ones 19 and 21 inches and a mess of small blues. I think the bass were a mercy bite. Everything on plugs. Had to work them real slow to get any strikes, the water was pretty cloudy from the wind whipping it all day. Tons of bait in the water, I just think the bass will not come to feed, in any numbers or size, with the water being that warm. Tried some deeper areas but the coolest water we could find was 74 and it was full of weed and very muddy looking. Came in just as it started to rain. Maybe this weather will pick things up alittle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ray, I will call you Sunday afternoon. I will take you up on your offer for Tuesday night.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts