BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few bass this AM on a flat, less than 4ft of water. Poppers & deceivers. As today is an important date in our History, take a moment today to pause & reflect a little on what happened & all the people we lost. Hope you actually did not know anyone, I did. Have a great week. Ron

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Disappointing night. Had my dad and brother out tonight. Left the dock a 6:30 p.m. Was looking forward to a great night of fishing. Good amount of wind tonight but not too bad and the water was 73 degrees and alot better looking than the past couple of days. Five minutes into the fishing and a couple of blues caught by my brother and dad on popping plugs and my electric bowmounted motor started acting up. The steering control wasn't working properly. Couldn't fix the problem so I had to stop flyfishing and just try and keep them in good position by using motor manually. Got some more blues, saw very little bait action and with the wind blowing from an unfavorable direction we called it an early night and came back in at 8:00 p.m.
Again it was another spectacular sunset. Just wish I didn't have the motor problem and we could of had spectacular fishing to match. Hope I can fix the problem tomorrow and get out again, but have a feeling the problem is in a computor chip in the internal board. Had a problem there the last time.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
saw lots of this again today

that's right, the almight mullet. :D i did not see the spearing that i saw on friday, but the mullet was pretty thick in spots. i would not say that they are on every beach, but i did see them around some jetties, wooden groins, and on some beaches without any major structure. good signs for things to come.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Spent half the day working on electric motor and checking connections, batteries etc. Found the problem. A kinked wire inside housing of control box. Bend it one way it works the other it doesn't. Will have to take it back for a new wire at the end of the season, but was able to tape it in the right direction to get by. Think it might of been the problem all along and not the circut boards that they replaced prior.

Motor worked great tonight. Had ideal conditions tonight wind and weather wise, but super high water temps and ugly looking water made fishing difficult. Got a couple of small blues on baby bunker fly and my Dad and brother were picking away at small blues with popping plugs. We had one nice bass on tonight but the hook came off the ring on the back of the popper.

There was tons of bay anchovies all around the sod banks and a few sprays of baby bunker around, but only the small blues. We worked it very hard from 4:30 to 8:30. If there were any bass around we would of been able to nail a few. Not even going to give it a try tomorrow morning. What a difference a year makes. Last year when my brother was up around the same time. We caught about 40 bass in three nights of fishing. The water was clean, clear and alot cooler.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Was the last chance to get my brother a striper before he had to go back to Florida. Left the dock at 5:30 tonight and tried the inlet jetties. I got 10 small blues on heavy all white clouser using heavy sinking line. My brother was wacking them on swimming plugs. The water was 76 and it was dead calm.

We worked the beachfront next. I was 74 degrees and more blues. I got a mercy bass bite and caught a 19 1/2 inch bass on a baby bunker fly.
It has been so slow this week, I was excited to get it. He likes the popper action so we went to the back bay again on the top of the tide. 74 to 79 degree water and no bass. He was happy getting the blues on the poppers but no bass to be had. With all the backwater fishing this week, we have definately proven beyond a shaddow of doubt that bass will not feed in supper warm flats no matter how much bait is there. Really need alittle cool down. Had some calls this week, people wanting to come down and fish for stripers and I got to tell them it has been as slow as it gets and we will be getting bad prime time tides to boot. It has been very disappointing this week and I have been out almost every day with perfect tides and weather.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Ray, Glad you are getting out and getting some action. I like the pics. i am living vicariously through you. LOL

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Hey, Hip, I think I would rather be you right now. With the teaching it is a steady pay check. The way it has been the last couple of weeks, it has been more fishing than catching. Even though I have been out alot, we have really had to work hard for every bass. With the warm water I am getting excited over just catching a small bass, where earlier in the summer it would of just been another bass. You haven't been missing anything super special other than just being out there and the fantastic sunsets. This spell of clouds and rain should be just what we need to improve the fishing. Been having alot of fun with the camera. I don't leave home with out it.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just returned from a couple of hours fishing with Chris, Red Eye Nester. He has been catching a few. Tonight was pretty windy with temp 78-79. We caught several bluefish to 3 lb, heard a bass or 3 but could not hook up. I was large deceiver, with a teaser, Chris was popping. Good to get out, but nasty. Ron

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Sparse, sounds like the warm water is effecting you guys too. What is the depth of the water you are fishing on average? Chris was using a popping fly? I thought he was Mr. Deciever and never used anything else. I had a charter association meeting tonight and didn't even think about fishing. It was blowing here too and still is, but with this rain and clouds predicted it should perk up the bass fishing and things will get back to normal.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ray 3.5 & less. Tough conditions. Ron

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Ron, Glad you and Chris hooked up. I hope to see you guys one night soon!

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Sparse, sounds like you are fishing the same type of area I do. Wanted to try this morning with it being cloudy and rain, but had father in-law down and we did the breakfast thing with him and my wife. This weather should be great for us back bay guys but the tides won't be as good.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Just saw the latest forcast for this weekend. Looks like wind and rain. Right now there is zero to little wind here. High tide is at 10:00, Buddy is to call soon to let me know if he is in or out for tonight. Will probably try to fish 9:00 to 12:00 and see if the darkness and hopefully cooler water will mean some bass. Got to get up early tomorrow to drive my father-in-law home so this could be best shot for good conditions.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Hey Ray keep out of the dark that's my time. Just kidding you should catch fish there's bad wheather coming and you know fish like that. Good luck Bill.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Got out last night. My buddy chicken out. Was a beautiful night, but the bass fishing was slow. A little breeze started but conditions were still great for fly fishing. Got some small blues and then decided I needed to cover ground to find fish or bait. Put on a black popping plug and worked the flats like a mad man. Worked two usually productive creek mouths, had one good possible bass hit and more small blues. Around midnight I started to work a point with a small rip and saw a good size splash and swirl. Threw my trusty, big black popping fly in there. After 3 strikes at the fly I hooked up. It was a nice fish around 26 to 30 inches and it went into the backing. After an enjoyable fight, while trying to net it, it went under the boat and got caught up around the prop. Line broke as I raised the motor. Is it still cursing if you scream it out and there is no one around to hear it on a quiet bay? I was going to release it anyway, but just wanted a picture, especially since it was a decent fish. Tried for another half hour, getting another blue and called it a night. I was glad I got out. It was a strange night. Most of the time there was low hanging white clouds and with the reflected light from Wildwood it was very bright and easy to see, but around 11:30 It was clear skies and was dark and hard to see. It is blowing real strong down here now, so fishing for the weekend my be touch and go. Hope we all can get a window of opportunity.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ray Good report, thanks for sharing. You do remember I said to call sometime?? Ron

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Will, do Ron. Can't remember a warm water slow spell like this. If this weather doesn't shake things up alittle, I don't know what will.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts