BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope some of you can get out this week after the crowds leave. I got a couple of hours in this AM on a dock with nothing but small bluefish. Hoping to launch Sunday AM. Catch-em up. Ron

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
looks like the week is going to start off slow. Couldn't go out last night on the tide at midnight cause of a charter this morning. It was calm last night but this morning we canceled, wind blowing like crazy, and it looks like tomorrow will be more of the same. Guess it could be worse, but I think we were all looking forward to wetting a line, this long weekend. Too windy to even go to the beach with the family, it is like getting sand blasted. If you are home with the family or picnic, enjoy the weekend you aren't missing a thing.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Headed out yesterday at 10:30 am to fish for some flounder, but ran into very large concentration of small blues. Fished with a brown crease fly for about 3 hours, and caught roughly 40 small to mid sized blues.

I was just to the north side of the free bridge between stone harbor and wildwood. Tide was incoming and the bite lasted long and strong until the top. Can't figure if it turned off because the tide or the moron that was TROLLING with freshwater gear right through the school as it busted the topwater.

It was a textbook feeding frenzy so any fly would've worked well. I chose the brown crease for the durability and the fact I wouldn't need it for stripers later. Fish were nailing it when it was drifting or popping. Didn't matter, just had to sling it in front or into the middle of them.

Last night tried the sodbanks south of freebridge with a red and yellow popper. Had 4 looks and rolls, but no hook-ups. Disappointing evening to say the least.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Reckoning, probably was the tide. When the tide is pushing the blues feed strong on all the small baits being pushed by the tide. If it was night, you never know, a big bass might be under those blues. Those blues are fun to catch on the fly, but after a couple of dozen, you are just dying for something big. Best chance for that would be at night. Hang in there it will happen.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reckoning IF I remember that's the bar that my son & I caught large,6-8lb, bluefish during the 70's We usually did better on the outgoing, but as Ray said, as long as the tide is moving they will be there. We usually used small poppers with large hooks.(didn't have crease flies back then.) Glad you got into them. Does that bar still fall almost bare? Sod banks south of the bridge. East or West side?? We used to do well on the West side. Ron

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sparse, at low tide the bar is dry in many places. At high tide you may have between 2-30 feet in the area we were fishing. (any place on the east side of the channels) As a matter of fact, we used to row out to the bar from our house, and walk the sandbars to fish.

To the south of the bridge you have hereford inlet on the east, so the point of SH is there, no real sod banks. I think you are talking about the sodbanks to the northwest of the free bridge. This channel runs on the inland side of the road that connects SH and Wildwood. I have had some luck on the west banks of that sod. East side is right at the channel, and gets really busy.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
The Great Egg looked like the eye wall of Frances yesterday. Even little Patcong Creek had whitecaps on it. Where is this wind coming from?

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Looked like the weather channel said it was the back flow from Frances feeding into the counter rotation. Still blowing like stink. Just can't get excited about even trying. Three charters in a row I had to cancel. Tomorrow if rain isn't too bad and the wind is lighter might try to hit the back bay with charter around 3:00 p.m. Even though it is early afternoon, with northeast, and overcast it might be the only shot in town.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ray, i hope you get out today. I just got back from the beach (i took a needed vacation this week), and the wind has definintely settled down. it's still blowing, but not nearly as hard as the last few days. the rip currents are still present, and the waves are all over the place in close. i was hoping to hit it later tonight, but i don't think the fly will work. we'll see.

i'm anxious to try out my new six weight that i just finished wrapping. it casts like a dream. look for a building class at one of the upcoming SJCFA meetings, taught by your's truly.

on thursday night i'm supposed to head south to fish the DB with snichols, if the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Just didn't work out today. It was supposed to be cloudy with a 50 percent chance of rain. With the tide being high at around 3:00 p.m. the plan was we would try the back flats early, figuring that the cloudy conditions might hold some bass in the shallow water. The day was total sun so that was out and with the wind still blowing, fishing the jetties and beach front later in the day, on the outgoing tide, was out too.

As the picture shows it was a slow night. Even the gulls couldn't find anything and were looking for a hand out.
I went to the point tonight and it was super slow. I threw a float out with a baby bunker and got a super small snapper which I put out as bait on the float rig. I tried flyrod and and got a couple of wacks but all the blues seemed to be those little 8 inch size. There was mullet along the beach and I watched a guy net some but there was nothing chasing them. With low tide and muddy water, it was a nice night with a beautiful sunset, but very boring.

Nothing touched the snapper on a float and I stayed to dark. The skeeters and knats came out in force and I didn't want to beat the dead horse anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ray "beautiful sunset on the beach & boring" just doesn't go well together. Glad you got out. Ron

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Ron, I was ready to go and ready for action. I am spoiled. Fishing is fun but catching is so much better. I don't mind flinging flys for awhile, but I could tell just by looking at the conditions it was going to be a tough night. Haven't fished from the boat in 4 days and that is along time by Cape May standards and when fishing from a boat you can alway move to find a more productive spot. (Unless it is low tide.) Have charters for Thursday and Friday and my brother and dad are comming down for a few days. Just wanted to get out and get the juices flowing again.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Wow, nice shots :D . Looks like you are getting to know your new camera a little better
. I hope the water stays that flat when the mullet really start running.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
I thought Sept. is suppose to be a good month for fishing. Can't prove it by me so far. Wife said how about an early dinner. Sounded good I headed out fishing around 4:30 pm. Nice high tide, cloudy (too much wind) but not too bad. Back of flats were rough, worked a couple of creek mouths with popping plug and got a couple of small blues. Went over to lee shore to get out of the wind and chop and hear someone blowing a lifeguards whistle and waving his hands back in the shallows. Guy in a 14 foot boat lost his power and with the wind and waves he would of been there all night. Gave him a tow back to his marina, it only took 1/2 hour.

Then it was back to fishing. Wind still honking but conditions look great. Could tell it was Sept. There were 6 boats working the back flats, that I haven't seen all summer. Looked like no one was getting anything they all fished for awhile and left. I ran to an area with small blues and got two on a baby bunker fly and gave up with the wind and went back to the plug. Worked entire area hard and Got two Dave (Fly-Ty-r) size bass. Don't worry Dave you still hold the record for the smallest.
Fish were only 3 times as big as plug. Worked large creek and mouths of small ones until dark with only a couple of small blues to show for my efforts. Water temperature was in high 70's. 76 to 77 all night and I didn't see a whole lot of bait. Really weird, last year this was prime time. Guess we need a cold spell to get the water right. Fish could be along the beach, but with the wind, I can't remember a good day to give it a try.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Was that a USCG-approved tow rope???

Don't worry about getting the smallest fish. You'll never beat me :D . That's why my name is Fly Ty R, not Fish Kach R...

I finally got out to the top secret jetty last night. Man was the wind howling, like 25mph+. But it was a nice SE onshore wind, so I was able to cast my TS-450 from the jetty quite easily, being a southpaw and all. The water wasn't too dirty, surprisingly, but it was all whitewash, so I figured the fish would be in there. Turns out they weren't, just like old times ;) . The water was WAY too warm. What splashed on me felt like bath water. No mullet, either. I fished with some big black Bomber-looking flies for about 1.5 hours, since that's what I'd be using with the spin rod in those conditions. It was good to get out and stretch my arm, if anything. I haven't touched the fly rods in a long time.

·
Registered
13,906 Posts
I did the easy thing last night for about 1/2 hr with plugs at SRI, the north wall... me NOT being a southpaw and all.

nothing doing.

I'm still a bit gunshy about flyfishing at night, though.

HOPEFULLY I'll be able to make it to the casting lesson if there's still room (no didn't send in the check yet). Gotta make sure the schedule's clear :(

But a question ( if that's allowed in a 'reports' thread): is a jetty being all whitewater a "good thing" to quote ol'martha? The onshore blow looked so hard last night that I would not have even considered shallow water as something to try.

-- Rob

[ 09-09-2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: rob ]

·
Registered
771 Posts
Cape May Ray, nice job helping that 14ft"er.I"m sure most of us have been in his shoes at least once.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
is a jetty being all whitewater a "good thing"

Rob Not really sure but I doubt it. Some of our "real" jetty guys will probably have more. I'm sure I talked with you about Tinton Falls. I really have some fond memories of that place. Ron

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Sounds like it has been a tough week for everyone. Cancelled another trip today and the weather station said winds to about 20. Looked like it was in the 30's with gust higher. Had to go up near Long Beach Island today, so I hit the island. Hadn't been there in awhile. Was interesting to see all the changes. Was prettly nice with all the vacation crowds gone. It must be brutal in season. Checked out Barnegat Light. It was the only lee shore where you didn't get sand blasted.
Looks alot more calm than it was. There were only a few guys fishing. As I pasted the light house I saw a school of nice size mullet being hammer by blues that looked to be in the 5 to 10 lb. range, but they were out about 50 yards and going out with the tide. Never felt the need to even take the flyrod out of the car. Here is the only boat I saw out all day from there south to Cape May. Looked like a charter trying to salvage the day with some type of catch.

Again it makes it look better than it was. He was drifting way too fast and had to dodge breakers once in awhile and he was near the lighthouse. On the way back, the Mullica River and Tuckahoe area was nothing but white water. It was not a very user friendly day. You can tell it has been a slow week, lots of pictures but none of fish. Hope it atleast makes the poor fishing reports alittle more interesting.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spent a couple of hours on a dock in Margate this AM. Top of the tide slight SW wind. Several blues, a little larger, maybe a pound & a half, one small bass. Nice clear sky & nice sunrise. Ron

1 - 20 of 30 Posts