BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good discussion last week, keep it going. Here's mine. WE GOT-UM. Screaming reels, laughing, shouting, scrambling over the shallow rocky bars-whoops,
this was not stripper fish, but rainbow trout on the upper reaches of the Colorado River, Glen Canyon, above Grand Canyon. We are in Sedona Arizona for a few more days & I was able to take a friend from Cottonwood up-river from Lees Ferry with my friend Mark who guides at Lees Ferry Anglers. We had a super day mostly rainbows with some in the high teens. Also a local stream that runs through Oak Creek Canyon has been fishing well. My grandaughter went with us the other day, had a good time climbing down the red rocks & fishing the tight pocket water. Fish in this river have been smaller, but brightly colored browns & a brookie or three. Want to read some report this week about catching in Atlantic & Cape May counties. See ya-soon. Ron

[ 04-15-2004, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: sparse grey ]

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Sparse sounds like a nice trip. You havent missed anything here, but this weekend should be different. They are calling for a warm spell and everyone and their brother will be out whipping the water foamy white this weekend. We have all had just about all we can take.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Put the boat in the slip this morning. With the warm weather comming it has to warm up the back bay aliitle. This morning with the tide better than half out the water temp Harbor View was 44, at the bottom of the tide 47, atleast it is a start.

·
Registered
315 Posts
cought me a couple of them yeller perch today they love llama leaches

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
I Talked Dave into comming down Friday night for a recon trip in the back bay. We took fly rods and Clam and spinrods. Searched back creeks and areas behind Wildwood. Incomming tide water at the marina was 45 degrees. We searched around and found some 50 degree water with a good amount of wind blasting us. Tried some clams for awhile but it would be a hour or two more before the tide got going good. Dave came from inland where it was alot warmer and didn't bring much warm gear. When Dave said he was frozen, we headed back. I was pretty cold by then and I was fully dressed for the weather. Checked under the bridge lights but with the wind and cold it was back to the dock.

Was going to try tonight, but the wind is blowing stronger than last night and it is down right cold on the water when the sun goes down in a open boat when the incomming tide water is 45 degrees.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Sparse, That sounds like an amazing trip! Have a safe trip home.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Couple of warm days didn't heat things up down here. Sunday fished the whole outgoing tide. Started with 46 degree water and ended up with 54 comming of the flats behind Wildwood. Two other guys where fishing clams and couldn't buy a fish. If they aren't hitting bait, it will take some more warming. I am just going to sit tight and wait. I thought last season was a slow start. I had my first bass on the fly this time last year.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ray,
I was out there behind North Wildood fishing the outgoing also on Sunday, not even a hit. Warmest water I found was 55 up towards Stone Harbor. I might be down on Friday, I'll look you up.
Rocco

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Guys Sorry things aren't better there. We are having great weather, fishing & some catching has been terrific. Got to a new area in the canyon that I fished years ago. Really tight pocket water. Ryan turned a huge brown, & we ended with several rainbowns, native, & one brown. Tuff fishing but a great new spot. Grandaughter & I are heading out in the AM, See ya-soon. Ron

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Sparse, someone has to be catching, it might as well be you. Sounds like life is good.

Rocco, give me a call when you get down. I also have that bucktail for you. I forgot to give it to you last night.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Saturday I was the mate on a friends big boat in Delaware bay. Didn't take the flyrod. It was a bit windy but the fish were all over with most being keeper size. It almost looked like the days of the spring weakfish runs of the 70's with all the boats out there. Wanted to take my little boat out Saturday night, but with the wind burn and the wind I stayed put.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts