BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay we did get a few guys out last week. This week the water temp should be better. I expect to launch Friday around high tide, during daylight, a change for me. Hope some of you get out & looking for the first on a fly. Ron

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you point a newby in the right direction. I am new to fishing in this area but not new to fly fishing. I don't want anyone's secret spot but just a point in the right direction. I fish mostly in Cape Cod but started to get out around LBI last year. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe even trade some flies for info!!!

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
oneidog - the bayside of IBSP - areas 15 down to the inlet are very conducive for wading fly guys.

Basically walk out to about 25 feet from dropoffs and work the edges.

LBI - I like fishing off the jetties - work the side(s) with the deep holes or any cuts between bars.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike Like to welcome you to the board, but using a home site is not allowed, unless all are a registered advirtizer--sorry, but I hope you enjoy your stay on the board. Ron

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Good Friday was Good. Had a great day but smell of skunk. Dave (Fly Ty er) and I decided we were going to get some bass. Trailered the boat to Long Reach Marina on the Maurice River. Water temp was 46 so we decided to head up river and try some little creeks that we knew herring go up. Worked a creek all the way up till we could go no further. Saw some bass surface and a few herring, but our flies got no attention. The water temp got up to 50.

With the tide comming in we decided to make a big run. We went all the way up to Millville. We figured the herring would be up there strong and so would the bass. Saw a few herring caught around the bridge downtown but nothing to write home about.

Decided to push up to the dam. Ran into a group of 4 kids who threw stones and rocks at us. Lucky, boat, Dave and I took no direct hits. Some of the rocks were pretty good size too. Got all the way up to the dam, no signs of herring, largemouth bass, stripers etc. and water 50.

Headed back with one inch of clearence to get back under the 47 bridge. The ride back was very enjoyable, Every egret nest was full and we saw the two bald eagle nests that Dave knew of.

Decided to hit that first creek again with the out going tide. Fished it hard saw one bass splash but again no takers and the same 50 degree water. Tried flies, plugs and bait, nothing.

Got back to the dock around 7:30. with the water temp 49 degrees. It was one of the better skunk days I have ever had. I was never up the river before. It was a beautiful. Fish would of made the day, but thats fishing. GPS said we traveled about 50 miles. It was quite a day. Hope everyone faired better with the fish.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Launched with Tommy around 11AM. Last of the incoming. Fooled around some bridges & I nice new flat. Heard some were caught at low tide , rainbow on clams. Hope all can get out. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ok Ray, now tell the REAL story..... We got 400 90lb bass within 2ft of the dock, all on steroid jiggies... :D Thanks for taking me on the 50 mile sight seeing tour! Next time I'll bring my paintball gun to shoot back at those rock tossing hooligans ;)

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Dave, Thinking back, it was Good Friday maybe it was radical Christian Youth Group and there was some symbolic meaning to it in biblical terms. Then again, I don't think so. Next trip body armor, face shields and lock and load time. Atleast we will alway remember when we got stoned in Millville.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i just got back in from my first kayak trip of the year. i put a fish finder on the yak, so i wanted to try it out. since this was a shake down trip, i did not bring a rod, but i still looked for fish.

i found some grass shrimp in close to the sod banks, and some small bait showed in a shallow ceek. i had water up to 51 in the creek, but the open water was a consistent 47. i marked a lot of fish in a channel right under the bridge, but the guys fishing in the boat in that area did not do anything with that school.

the best part of the trip besides figuring out that my fish finder worked fine; an osprey grabbed a fish out of the channel about a 100 feet from me. it looked to be a herring, but it happened so quickly, i couldn't be sure.

i took off on monday and tuesday, so i may try it again, but this time with a rod.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Hey Doyle, fishfinder on the yak, whats next polling platform and tuna tower. Just kidding, looks like you will have a great season and I am sure that fishfinder will come in handy. Sounds like you are starting the season one paddle up on everyone. (inside joke) Go get them.

Took a ride to the Cape May Point to check out what was going on. Rips had about 20 boats working the outgoing tide and it was nice and calm. Could of fished my flats boat there today. They have been doing good but all on baited bucktail. Couple of people fishing from the shore only had a few skates. Any day it should get good. Then fly fishing will really begin. Won't belong before you have to fight for a spot on one of the jetties.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Ray. I've got a friend in Florida who does indeed have a poling platform on his yak. I've seen the pictures. Ron

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Originally posted by sparse grey:
Hey Ray. I've got a friend in Florida who does indeed have a poling platform on his yak. I've seen the pictures. Ron
I used to pole the flats on my Yak all the time, fun stuff!

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Florida is a whole different world. There is a web site, I think it is called CustomGheenoe.com. They are flat bottom cannoes that have all that good stuff on them. Hard to imagine a polling platform on a yak. You fall of one down there and you might skin you knees, but just stand up and step down into the yak.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
D,
I'm going to have to get you to yak down in my neck of the boonies. You ain't done seen fishin' till you done seen me secrit spoots... :D

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
TomKat,

I put a Humminbird Matrix 15 on my yak. It's pretty sweet. It's got the 200 and 83 kHz beams, so you can see directly under you (about a 20 degree angle), and also out to the sides a bit (60 degree andle). It also has a temp sensor in the transducer. I put the transducer in my yak and used silicone to attach it. The temp sensor does seems to work after a couple of minutes, and then it changes pretty quickly. For example, I was paddling some deeper spots on Saturday, and getting mostly around 47 or 48 degrees. I then entered a small, shallow creek, and the temp on the FF read 51 degrees right after I got into the creek. For me, it's accurate enough.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Only the strong survive! It has been one heck of a week. Just when we thought we were over the hump and getting a taste of spring, we take it on the chin again. The sun is finally comming out and we could use alittle less wind and I hope we can all beat this dead horse enought to get it atleast to the starting gate. We need to get some activity going soon.

·
Banned
964 Posts
I'm looking forward to Sunday... Gonna try the boat thing in the Rips/Bay on Saturday... Looks like the breeze is going to swing to a SW direction and let up on Sunday, which should make for easier casting on the incoming tide for me... Look for the stout fella with the fly rod on one of the Point jetties... I'll be trying.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Hey ShoeB I am putting in tommorow so I will be ready for the warm weekend too. Point should start soon for us fly guys, wouldn't even mind a few sea herring to start off. I will keep an eye out for you. There are alot of fly fishermen in the Cape May area so they will all soon be comming out of hibernation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts