BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 A new year & a new beginning. I do hope all of you had a memerable 2011 & I hope you met some of your goals & have many more to meet in the new year. I hope you guys can get some fishing in during this month or start planning on a trip to the South to enjoy some of our nice weather. Water temp was 73 today, seas were mild & lots were able to get out as grouper season closes Sunday for 4 months. Get out, tie some flies & enjoy to the fullest the new year.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quick little trip to my backcountry area after Church this AM. Water temp 73 light NE wind last third of the outgoing. Bunches of nice trout nothing really large, several nice grouper but no mangrove snappers (?) Good couple of hours & fun with a 8wt.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
We have had three days in a row of un-expected calm enough wind conditions. Slight breee from the North, incoming tide, Johnston channel.
Been using a very rare hard to find fly Ray--Clouser. Char & wh.

One of the many grouper we have been catching & releasing since closed season.

Sorry wrong pic. Here tis.

Bert with about as large as the bluefish get here. Nice to see them. With 15lb florocarbon lucky to get it in.

One of the rare ones. Bert got this permit on a plastic shrimp tail. One of the very few we have caught drifting a channel.

·
Registered
8,074 Posts
Nice going Ron! You are having beautiful weather too. That is a pretty looking fish and that is a big blue fish. What's the Florida record? I didn't think they even got that big down there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not to detract at all from your fine winter catches, Ron, but the fish you ID as a permit appears to me to be a Florida pompano, a close relative, and a big one at that. It doesn't seem to have the blackish fin lobes on the anal and caudal fins, larger eye and rounded head profile and snout characteristic of a permit. It does have the yellowish caudal fin lobes more characteristic of a pompano.

Either way, a great catch.

Phil Shook

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Phil you do know your fish. I will admit that I originally said pompano but my neighbor "experts" claimed it was a permit. Never saw a permit this small so I did not know if a juvenile would have those colors. BTW never saw a pompano that large either. Thanks for the good eye & I'll try to get back on the accurate track. btw 17" to the fork.

·
Registered
8,074 Posts
You guys are way too lucky down in the keys. To many species to catch and many look similar. Last time I fished down there I had to take a book along just to figure out what I was catching. What a great problem to have!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Phil you do know your fish. I will admit that I originally said pompano but my neighbor "experts" claimed it was a permit. Never saw a permit this small so I did not know if a juvenile would have those colors. BTW never saw a pompano that large either. Thanks for the good eye & I'll try to get back on the accurate track. btw 17" to the fork.

The best place to find those larger pomps are the last place that most people look, on expansive sand flats. They tail just like permit, and are super spooky, just like permit. I've picked up a couple that size and not only are they tough to spot, you have to be lightening fast to get a fly in front of them. Way to go on the pomp!

·
Registered
8,074 Posts
Having Some Fun

Got down to Florida Wednesday morning and my brother picked me up at the airport and we headed straight off to fish near the space center and I caught my first speckle trout of the day before noon. It was fairly windy and water levels looked to be 6 to 8 inches lower than last year and the direction of the wind fishing a bit difficult.

After catching a few fish each we headed back to my brothers house and stopped by Harry Goods Outfitters, where I met up with Bill (Ole Dirty Caster) It was neat to meet the man behind the posts. We talked a little fly fishing and he said he was going to go in search for some more big reds and extra large specks the next day and asked me if I wanted to tag along.

He didn't have to ask me twice. I jumped on the opportunity. He said the fishing was good prior to the cold spell and the cold turned the bite off, but with the front coming in the next day we might have a shot as it was to be warmer. He also said this fish are all really good size and very difficult to catch even if conditions were idea and there were a good numbers around. (They were not your little fun size ones)

We hooked up the next day and Bill did his best to make my first real walking and fishing flats memorable. This was all new to me and a real fun experience. I am not use to walking shallow flats, shuffling my feet to avoid stepping on sting rays, eying the waters ahead while trying not to step in the pot holes that could trip you up.

When we got to our first area we had a fairly good breeze blowing and the water levels were very low, but the water was very clear and pretty cold as we waded out. Shortly after we started the wind kicked up a bit more and it was pretty cold. Bill told me not to get too exited as we would be hoping that the last couple of warm days moved the fish back in.

We covered a lot of ground as we stalked along the flats. Fish were few and far between, mostly individual fish, no groups and mostly all spotted super far away where a perfect long cast might have a shot and most of the time they would see us as a second or two before we saw them and they would turn away.

After our late morning session, Bill asked me if I had had enough or was I thirsty for more. (I never give up without a fight), so we were going to do an afternoon session. We moved to a totally different area. Water was now warming up a bit and it was quite comfortable wading. Bill had one hit and miss and I had a nice speck turn on my fly but must of spotted me and shot off.

We worked as hard as you could, putting in about 6 hours of wading. I don't know how much ground we covered all day but it was a good work out. Bill was disappointed that he couldn't put me on a super big red or speck and it wasn't for lack of trying. Bill gave it 110 percent, He is my kind of die hard fisherman! Thanks Bill, I had a great experience, learned more than I could on my own and loved every minute.

Got back to my brothers about 5:30 pm and with an hour and a half left before dinner I went out in in the square ended canoe with my brothers son-in-law were we caught some small jacks and specks. Son-in-law got a nice speck, which was his first saltwater fish on a fly rod. He had been fishing a number of times, but had no success. I put clouser on his rod and got him to use the same striping action as I was and he connected.
Now I have to work on my brother to give it a shot.

Will post some pictures when I get home next week and can down load them.H

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a good time Ray, I had a feeling we were in for a tough day when I had that first fish dead to rights and it didn't even flinch when I dragged that fly by him. Wind is supposed to switch out of the SE tomorrow, and warm up a bit. The family I have staying at casa de Bill wants to fish pompano tomorrow, which I have very little interest in. So if you get bored I'm going to be at spot "A" wading north at 9-9:30. Give me a shout in the morning if you're up for another session.

·
Registered
8,074 Posts
Small Fish But Good Time

Will not make it on Sat. Will be fishing with brother and his son-in-law in the Indian River in the boat.

Today started off with fishing int the creek behind house in the Gheenoe. Caught a couple of lady fish and a jack after breakfast and then borrowed to kayaks to try fishing Sebastion Inlet area. That did not turn out as well as we expected. The kayaks were 2 person sit ons and were not like the one I have at home where you can sit in the middle. The two we had you sat in the back and the bow would be higher than normal. With a fair amount of wind they did not paddle well and we could not fish the area that we intended too. After about an hour of frustration, we gave up and when home to fish the creek again.

Late afternoon we headed out in the Gheenoe again and got a nice speckled trout and some lady fish, plus I missed a decent largemouth bass that jumped and threw the hook. (The water is very brackish as you get up the creek) You can catch both salt and fresh species at times.

Not hot fishing, but wearing shorts and weather in the high 70's how can it be anything but great.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad you guys got together & hope you are enjoying.

·
Registered
8,074 Posts
Another Fun Day

Today we headed up north in brothers center console to Merrit Island. We drifted some flats, drifting down the deep side where we could see up into the shallows. We spotted some few nice size redfish here and there but none close enough to get a good cast too. With the wind picking up and no electric motor or pole to manuver the boat we headed to a spot where we knew we could get some smaller specks and lady fish. That worked out well for myself and brothers son-in-law. We both caught specks and lady fish on flies. I caught on orange/yellow jiggies and he caught on olive white clousers. Nothing big, but fun to catch.

After getting back late afternoon, cleaning the boat and before dark we went out in the gheenoe and caught a few more lady fish. Action was slow with only a few hits.

·
Registered
8,074 Posts
Worked south today in brothers boat. Just he and I went out today. Very light wind and we were able to drift right along a the edge of a long flat. Spotted a couple of redfish but was not able to get them to chase my fly. We did catch a few lady fish but dolphins were around us and as soon as we release the fish the would chase them down and eat them.

Tried 4 other areas without any hits. Water was as clean and clear as it gets. Finally fished the edge of a flat that dropped off into 6 feet and picked up a few rooster fish and jacks. Decided to drop the anchor and work the drop off and also eye the 1 foot deep flat for fish coming across it.

Got my brother to use a fly rod and gave him some quick in the boat instructions. Soon he was catching fish. It was like shooting fish in a barrel and they were the first fish he had ever caught on a fly.

Also the dolphins caught up with us again. There had to be 8 dolphins crusing around the boat the whole time we fished, even swimming under the boat in 4 feet of water. Would of thought they would of spooked all the fish as we were getting hits on almost every cast. They would follow the hooked fish right to the boat staying about 5 feet away from the hooked fish. Then when we would release the fish they would go crazy chasing after it.

Even with all this action I looked down the off the side of the boat and saw a nice 4 foot tarpon slowly swimming under the boat. Tried alteast three casts in front of him and he neither spooked or made a move for the fly.

When we got back went out in Gheenoe with his son-in-law and we got a few specks on clousers and jiggies with Lane getting the nicest one of the night. Seems like every speck that we have caught during my vacation has been bigger than the keeper size, but we have released them all.

Still looking for that one big fish, but happy with the 70 to 80 degree weather and lots of small fish action.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Ray, since you are down in that area maybe you should go over to Mud Hole Custom Tackle, 400 Kane Ct., Oviedo, FL and check out the situation. They have an insane catalog of rod building stuff as well as other supplies like lure making stuff, lead molds hooks, beads etc. Heck, you've probably been there already. I'm going to try to visit when down there in late Feb. Have fun fishing with your bro. And be nice to those dolphins - they seem as smart as that one we have up here in the back bays of CM CO!

·
Registered
8,074 Posts
Last Day Of Having Fun

The week went fast. Slopoke, can't give up fishing time to look at tackle. I am not into making rods, just tying flies and fishing.

Today it was fairly windy so we headed south toward Sebastion Inlet to fish some nice sheltered mangroves in the area around Honest Johns Fishing Camp. Everything we caught was small. Specks, lady fish, and jacks, with most of the specks keeper size. Did work some flats were ever we found and area that looked good but the wind made it difficult. Water was super clear. you could see bottom in the Indian River even in 6 feet of water. Did see a few small reds and what looked like trout, but only caught jacks and lady fish on the flats.

After cleaning up the boat we fished in the Gheenoe behind the house and caught some more jacks, ladyfish and specks before dinner. Fishing was not hot, we had to work for the fish, but still fun.

Even down here the weather has been warmer than normal. This is central Florida and it was high 70's to low 80's every day. Normally when they get some good cold spells it drives the bait and the fish into the creeks an back areas where the water is warmer. Today we had temps from 67 to 72 degrees, which is pretty warm for winter.

This is the first time that I have not seen loads of mullet. lots of tarpon and neither caught or saw any snook.

With no big rip lines and tidal flows and the water being clear where you have to stalk your fish, I have a lot to learn. Fishing here is totaly different. A good flat's boat would really make a big difference especially in the areas with the long clear flats. It's fun and I am learning more each time I come down.

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
""It's fun and I am learning more each time I come down. "" That is good to hear Ray & yes to the flats boat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.