BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The board is up & running. Hope y'all don't have too many problems. I'm finding my way around. This should help from Ron R.
  1. Time Zones. It appears as though existing members may see the board time a few hours ahead. New members registering after the import and lurkers will see the correct time. Existing members can adjust the board time via the User Control Panel. User CP > Edit Options > Date & Time Options.
  2. Signatures. When you log on for the first time you will notice that signature links are broken. This is something I could possibly attempt to fix. However, the fix is untested and could cause potential adverse effects. I'd rather not risk it. The safest thing to do in this situation is ask our members who have signatures to simply remove their existing signatures and create new ones. This also can be done via the User Control Panel ~ User CP > Edit Signature
Those are the two things that I'm aware of. I'm sure there will be other

Now I wish I knew what that meant but I'm sure we will do okay. One of our computer guros might pitch in if anyone, (me) need help. Lets work through it together.

As for fishing, Sat dark AM was slow to say the least. Tide didn't seem right & other than really small bluefish with really big attitudes we could find no bass. Red-eye told me he had 2 small bass. Hope you all can get out.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Got out this morning at 5:30 a.m. with a one person fly charter. Again the wind was down after blowing strong all night. Started out on the beach front where we started picking up weakies, blues and a couple of small bass and croakers. Pink/white clousers and deceivers along with olive/white clousers.

Like yesterday the wind started kicking up and the sea swells were making it to difficult to fish the shallow 4 to 7 foot of water.

Worked the inside of the harbor jetty getting some more small bass and blues along with our biggest weakie of the day. 19 inches on a pink/white deciever.

Kept a the 19 and a 17 inch weakie. Water is still cold. Was 59 to 62 outside the inlet and up to 65 inside near the harbor. Came back to the dock with the wind blowing pretty good.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Gonna try some pics from last week and yesturday.

Here's my neighbor I had out last Thursday when we did real well, didn't have the camera in the boat so couldn't get any bass shots.

All the bass I got last week were on this pattern that I tie, don't know if it is a known fly or not, I just call it my foamback.

Ran down yesturday evening for some windy fishing, was hoping to use some new stuff I tied up but it was plugs and plastics only. We started picking some fish and had about 5 or 6 then I move off shore abit and we started to hook fish on every cast. Most of them were 23 to 27"s with one 28-3/4" keeper. Ended up with about 17 bass and one flounder that was lost in the middle of the striper school.

My partner was not familiar with my camera and took a video instead of photo of the keeper. If someone knows how to make it a pic I'll post it. These fish were mean and pulled like they were 10 pounds, we were getting lines crossed while the fish were running us around the boat.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Nice catches there Bill. Was pretty windy as I was watching the trees blow around last night. I guess you were catching on the incoming. Had all morning trips so far this week with low water to start making it tough to work the back with the sun getting bright. Think there are more bass in the back than the front right now with the cold water, with the bait in the back where it is warmer. Good to see a few nicer fish mixed in, It's about time. Wind was honking tonight again with some threatening weather that never developed. Lightning came close, just a few drops of rain, but it sure looked nasty.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
No Jack I'm just using it when I can :D . Yeh Ray, tired of fishing only the out going tide since I am limited on time. On the weekends if I fish day and night I'll get 4 day weekends.:)

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Looks like good weather for the weekend, but that means all the crazy people and jet ski guys will be out and the inlet like a washing machine.

Trying to figure if charter is a go or not for tonight. Guys are from close to Philly and want to know if they should come down or not. Weather cloudy here all day a d bit of breeze with 60 percent chance of rain and poss. of thunder storms for the time we are going out. Really hard to tell weather hour to hour on a day like today.

Got another for Saturday or Sunday that can't make up his mind wanting to see what day will have the best weather. If he waits too long someone else will book a trip. Everyone wants a perfect day. You can't blame them but so hard to tell day to day what the wind and weather will be. It doesn't bother the fish, just the people.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, there are a couple of people that I take who want me to look into my crystal ball and tell them if the weather is going to be good or not. And others who ask if we are going to catch fish.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Will the weather be good on August 15th? :D

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
2019... I figured you'd already know what year with the crystal ball, but I guess it has its limitations... :p

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Heading out tonight come hell or high water with a plugging charter. Lightning and Thunder, maybe not. Guys said they need a fishing fix bad. Wind from the West means the ocean and inlet should be good but radar showing rain from that direction. Where is my 8 ball when I need a prediction.

·
Registered
440 Posts
yesterday morning behind Sandy Hook- numerous blues ranging up to the 12 inch range caught and released on a chartruse and white half and half with ostrich tail (had 5 tied and now have none) using an 8wt rod with 12 lb tippet- no wire. :D

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Got my trip in last night. Plug Charter came down through nasty storms on the way to Cape May. Radar showed they were passing north and south of us. Left the dock a half hour late at 6:00 p.m. Went out to fish the inlet rocks thinking how lucky we were to have the whole place to our selves. Fished for 15 minutes missing two bass on popping plugs and noticed North end of Wildwood was disappearing in rain and saw a couple of nasty lightning bolts.

It was full speed back to the dock. Waited for stuff to pass and started out again at 7:30 Wind had died out but the water was super cold. 57 degress and nice and clean. First fish we got was a nice 32 inch keeper.

As the sun set the fishing got better. Our smallest fish of the night was 24 1/2 inches with most 26 3/4 to 27 3/4. All nice fat fish.

As the tide was about to change the wind shifted to from the east. I was busy un hooking a fish, when I looked up a wall of fog was rolling in couldn't see anything. Put on the GPS plotter and decided we better work the inside of the jetty as it was very thick and dark out.

Went to the back area were we got a couple more nice bass with our last keeper. Popping plugs and swimmer worked all night.

Fished to 10:30 and called it a night. 13 nice bass with 3 keepers. Great night for my charter, but what a night it would of been on the fly with no wind and nice fish all over the place.

Never saw a lick of bait all night. When I cleaned the fish they all had calico crabs in their bellies. Almost went back out for the out going with the fly rod myself but was a bit tired.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Nice report Ray, 3 keepers is a pretty good night this year. What time did the fog roll in, am planning on going out around 10 tonight?

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
That is about the time the fog rolled in. Wind started off the ocean and hit the super hot air of the land. All very low you could see the moon and stars looking straight up. I will send you and email.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Bill Couch said:
Gonna try some pics from last week and yesturday.

Here's my neighbor I had out last Thursday when we did real well, didn't have the camera in the boat so couldn't get any bass shots.

All the bass I got last week were on this pattern that I tie, don't know if it is a known fly or not, I just call it my foamback.

Ran down yesturday evening for some windy fishing, was hoping to use some new stuff I tied up but it was plugs and plastics only. We started picking some fish and had about 5 or 6 then I move off shore abit and we started to hook fish on every cast. Most of them were 23 to 27"s with one 28-3/4" keeper. Ended up with about 17 bass and one flounder that was lost in the middle of the striper school.

My partner was not familiar with my camera and took a video instead of photo of the keeper. If someone knows how to make it a pic I'll post it. These fish were mean and pulled like they were 10 pounds, we were getting lines crossed while the fish were running us around the boat.

Nice fish Bill, I'll be out tommorow night in the flats boat , I've been seeing alot of activity and I think its going to be a steller summer. will report

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Had a great night with the fly rod last night, but had super high expectations of larger bass from the night before.

Overall had more than a grand slam but all small fish.

Fishing buddy had a commitment until 8:00 p.m. so I left the dock on dead low tide and headed out to the inlet to work the beach front for some weakies. Stopped at the end of the rocks and picked up two small blues.

Worked the beachfront right out side the breaking waves in 5 to 6 foot of water and started catching. Nice size croakers, small weakies to 17 inches, some sea herring and a 15 1/2 inch fluke.

Was using intermediate line and very small pink and white clousers. As the tide came in the tide picked up and the surf was getting bigger and the bite slowed down.

Went to the inlet rocks hoping to duplicate the night before's action and get some nice bass. Worked rocks for about 3/4 of an hour without a strike and it was time to run back to the dock and pick up buddy.

We headed back out to the rocks and worked them hard for about and hour and a half with Peter catching 2 sea herring. Talked to guys plugging who also caught the night before and they had no bass. Water was 59 and the fog rolled in earlier than the night before getting pretty thick.

Needing some stripers for a slam we worked the bridge shadow lines where we picked up 9 stripers to 23 inches. I was using pink/white bucktail deceiver and Peter was using a yellow/white epoxy head. (his big weakfish killer fly) If anyone is interested in seeing the pattern it is on display and hanging from the bottom of the bridge deck. Think he was trying for pigeons.

Bill Couch stopped by to say high on his way to work the back area. Hope to hear that he got some nicer fish. We came in at dead high tide. The action was great, but with no drag burners on the night for us.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Got wireless working at the shore. Ray wish I had a great report but only managed 6 bass up to 23"s. It was like fishing scorched earth until the tide gave a hint to move out. If we would have boated every fish that blew up on what we were throwing, we would've had an awsome night. I lost the biggest fish that I've had a hook into this year and fatherinlaw lost one that looked big enough to keep also. Boated one on the fly and rest on plugs, the fish were just harrassing the flys with multiple boils behind it but nothing there to sink a hook into. Hoping its better tonight and maybe less fog.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Seems like the back has been a tough pick on the incoming on best on the outgoing. Use to always be good on high water if there was bait in the back. We just don't have much bait. Don't know where all the bigger fish went that where there Thursday. Had to be a ton of them all over. Guess being filled with calicos tells the story. Just isn't anything fish wise for them to eat.

Will be out early in the morning Sunday to see what I can find.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts