BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey we are back in business & I hope all of you are well. I had to make a quick flight down to Cudjoe to make some minor repairs due to Dennis. Last few days Johnny & I have had some nice fun with some flounders wet waiting the beach at sunrise. What have you guys been doing??

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
With the weather hot and most people complaining about the heat and the poor fishing, the early morning and evening fishing has been nothing less than super. Best of the year in numbers and size.
Unfortunately that last 5 charters have not been fly trips while the bite was so hot. Started Saturday with Father and son 3 bass 9 blues with one keeper. First stripers for father and son.

Monday Trip with a couple visiting from the Ukraine. 6 large bass and missed one large one over 40 inches that swallowed a foul hooked bunker and the plug boatside. Fought it for awhile before 10lb test line broke. But did get some nice ones and some nice blues. Also had a Spanish Mackeral along the rocks and saw a sheepshead and watched a trigger fish eat up a crab on the surface.

Then it was a father and son that never cast spinrods or went fishing before. Ended up with 14 small bass and some nice blues fishing the inlet and back bay flats with popping plugs.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
With the fishing so good I had to get out with the flyrod. Called up Pete Cole from the fly club, who lives close by and we went out Tuesday night. It was very difficult to fish the inlet with the Full moon tide and wind making it difficult for a small boat to get in close to the rocks. We got a couple of fish there but got most on the back flats. We ended the night with over 20 bass and 2 blues. 14 stripers on the flyrod, with each of us getting a keeper bass. Rest of the fish were caught on popping plugs.

We even had two times where we were both fighting fish at the same time. I got my first on a crease fly, two on popping flies and the rest on black Silicone. Peter started with Chart/white deceiver and then went to a mostly black with a little white fly. We had bass chasing bait all around us in 5 foot of water and had many hits and misses on the night. It was Peters first keeper striper. He took it home to eat and I released mine. There was zero wind. A fly fishermens dream night and bugs were light.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Last night was the best night of the week. Most of the action was out at the inlet rocks. With several bite offs and a break off of a nice striper. Ended up having to put on steel leaders until we got back on the flats. Had 20 stripers on the night and 9 blues several that were real bruisers.

Ended up keeping three fish on the night and did get a keeper while fishing the flats.
When we cleaned the big bass it had butter fish and mussels in its stomach.

This morning went out with a father and son charter and we could not buy a bass. Tons of blues no stripers, but again some really nice ones were caught.

It has been a fun week and it isn't over yet. Water was very brown looking this morning. Could be the back to back days of full moon tides. Tough week on the plugs too. Think I lost atleast ten plugs this week due to bite offs or breakoffs. Small price to pay for hot fishing. Can't wait to get out with the flyrod again. Tough to watch fish chasing bait knowing you could get them on a fly.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Not a fly charter today, and they wanted to leave the dock at 8:00AM. Not prime time for getting fish. Inlet was like a scene from Jaws. Boats and wakes everywhere. Managed to squeeze out 3 small bass along the beachfront all around 21 inches on plugs. Got some small blues and snagged some bunker. Tried the live bunker trick for some big boys only to see them chewed up by blues. Even tried the flounder thing off the beachfront for the last hour only to get shorts.

Did see Bill McFeeley from the fly club out in his new boat. Nice boat Bill.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Ray nice job on getting fish for the first timers. It's great taking people out for the first time. Fished Fri and Sat nights caught 10 on plugs and poppers Fri and many missed and lost. Sat only 4 bites for 4 fish. Full moon was blazing both nights and Fri was better because we went out before it got up.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Bill, I am with you on full moon nights. Action is always better prior to the moon coming up strong. We had a good week and it was mostly early in the evening. Action seemed to die in the shallow back area the higher it got. Sometimes it gets so bright you can see bottom in 4 feet of water just like it is light out. Was anxious to try with the flyrod tonight, but a good wind blowing and with low tide no place in the back and don't feel like fighting the wind and the tide in the inlet or beach, even though the weekend crazy people are gone. Disappointed, I made big flies this afternoon and wanted to try them out.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
I feel like I am the only person that likes to fly fish. All the charters I have been getting lately are all plugging trips.

Got out tonight with marginal conditions. The wind was to let up a bit, but it never stopped blasting all night.

Inlet had a lot of wind with 5 footers hitting the rock piles. With low tide we gave it a good try. Picked two small bass off the rocks but it was brutal trying to keep the boat in a good position and we had a few waves wet us down a little.

Were forced to the back back. Decided to work the flats premature. Even with the electric motor there was barely enought water to float the boat. Did get three small bass on popping plugs, had about 10 hits and saw some bass chasing small baits leaving v trails in the one foot of water we were casting into.

It is getting me worried. Water back there was 79 degrees, don't think the bass can take it too much higher. Called it a night just as thunder and lightning came along.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
More of the same type of wind but not as bad tonight. Worked down along the beach area, but with the low tides and heavy ground swell it made it difficutlt to work the area properly. Stuck with the inlet rocks all night. Got a good number of blues for the charter.

Had three or four that were good size. Customer was using his freswater rod with 6 lb test. Even with wire leader it was a little hairy getting them in the net. We missed our only bass of the night. Had a nice one on but just came off the plug and saw some small ones working on the surface, but just couldn't get into a position to cast with the current picking up the seas getting rough and it getting dark. Did have a school of bunker around us being hammered by blues. Water was extremely warm 75 to 79 coming in the inlet. Fellow had some fly fishing experience and was going to give it a try, but with the seas he didn't think he could keep his balance and cast. His wife did almost as well with mostly the smaller blues. I need a calm night, I am getting tired of being bounced around all night.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Third straight windy night in a row. Felt like Victory at Sea in a flats boat.

Charter just wanted to catch some fish. Had good action with blues but no big ones like we have been getting. All small with the biggest maybe 4lb. Water was cooler than yesterday. 72 to 74 at the inlet, but not a hint of any bass. Around dusk the wind stopped and I thought wow, finally a break. Saw a flash in the distance and turned on weather radio. Report said a violent storm coming accross at 45 mph. Full blast to the dock. Got in, and to the car just as all hell broke loose. Charter was happy with the fishing and glad to be on land as the storm hit.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
After being like this all day (this was at 6PM, so it was even hotter and muggier earlier in the day)....

...this was bound to happen...

Ray, good thing you got out of there. This storm line was a doozy! Fierce winds, even a little hail in the beginning, and tons of impressive lightning. I couldn't get any shots of the really cool spider-vein type lightning, but I got a few decent shots of "regular" lightning. I'm pretty sure the storm I had would have hit you as well.

[ 07-28-2005, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
How do you get a shot like that with a digital camera? There is a delay from when you press the shutter to when the picture is taken I think. Never tried a shot like that.

Last night it was one of those hazy nights when storms can sneak up on you. Could just barely see any type of flash in the distance. From the first flash to the time we turned on weather radio and got report it changed fast. Visability cleared you could feel the coolness in the air and that is when you wish your boat could go 70 mph on the run home. Was the fast into the dock, tie up and run ever. Would not like to of been out on an overnighter tuna trip.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
cool pic, Dave, and I'm with Ray: how did you get that pic with a digi camera? Is there a "night" mode you could put it in??

was on IBSP in sunshine, and was watching the building clouds to the north and west.

the south wind was "holding back" the front from
where we were for a while, but got in the car and
exited the park and went right into it.

one time years ago was on a day trip on Key Biscayne and watched a frontal line hanging over Miami with an immense lightning show while we were hanging out in sunshine.... a bit similar yesterday but couldn't see the lightning as well.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ahh, trade secret ;) ...

First off, my camera is more like an SLR than a point-n-shoot, so I have more manual options than most PNS cameras.

There are three ways to get shot like that (that I know of).

First, buy a photosensitive shutter release. You can get those super cool, crisp shots of lightning like they get out in the midwest.

Second, the way I did it, is to first jack up your ISO level if you can. Mine goes from 100 to 800, so I put it on 400 because 800 has too much noise. Then, also if your camera has it, set the shutter speed to "bulb", or your slowest shutter speed. "Bulb" allows you to manually open and close the shutter for as long as you like. Wait until you think another lightning strike is about to happen, then hold down the shutter. Leave it open during and a little after the flash, then let it close. You will have a decent shot of lightning, though nowhere near as crisp as with a photosensitive release. At night, because there the only light available is from the lightning, you can get away with shots like this. But during the daytime, forget it.

The third, and most challenging way to get the pics, is to set your shutter to a fast speed (like 1/250) and try to anticipate the lightning. Then shoot. It rarely works, though, and you'll have a ton of black shots. Forget trying that if your camera has a noticable shutter lag.

[ 07-28-2005, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Dave, it all looks good on paper. You know me, I like to do it the easy way. Guess you won't be seeing any lightning shots from me. Thanks for the information. I will check out owners manual and see what I can find out.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I know where some of you guys are fishing - nice pics!!! Any weaks on the north side out by the tip being caught? I've been thinking of making a jetty hopping run just to check things out - oyu can always count on those jetties to keep fish around even thru the heat.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
LS:
No tripod. I had the camera propped up against the window, but it was still a little shakey. Like I said, the total darkness of the night, then the brief flash of the lightning, is all I needed to expose the shot. Any hand movement blur was minimized by the darkness.

I guess the time was 8 to 10 seconds, maybe. My bulb mode can go to 5 minutes, though. The brightness was from multiple flashes of cloud to cloud lightning before the actual strike. The cloud to ground lightning strike was only for a split second. The photo is actually a short time-lapse, in technical terms.

[ 07-28-2005, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Wind out of the north northeast. Fourth night in a row with good wind. Charter just wanted to get some fish and both were prone to sea sickness. Couldn't go to the inlet and beach with the wind where I knew there would atleast be bluefish action. Started in the back bay flats with the tide going out pretty low already. They were not use to casting and were having a hard time getting to where the fish might be next to the sod banks. Got one small bass out of two strikes on popping plugs in 76 degree water with the water very low. Decided to anchor up an try for bass and blues in the back bay channel. Got 12 keeper croakers, one small blue and a ton of sand sharks. Water at the bottom of the tide was 80 degrees and felt like bath water. Did have a beautiful sunset.
It is going to be real interest to see if the bass fishing is going to suffer next week when the tides are good at night. I am in need of a fly fishing fix. May have to get out some where tomorrow to feed my habit. Been watching people catch fish all week and I need some action for myself.

[ 07-29-2005, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: CapeMayRay ]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts