BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't believe its June already. The year is "flying" by. Soon it will be Christmas. The last week was interesting for me. I finally made by dolphin trip. Made it to 200ft in 20 minutes & ended in 600ft. Water was clean but no weed lines or any debris. Had a great time with dolphin, the mamanels, turteles & beautiful calm waters. Did not get any dolphin but a great trip. First time for me in my boat.
Following, if it works is a grouper my wife & I caught that is still swimming. For you sharpies you will see it is a Jew fish, now called Goliath grouper. Hurt to release so many grouper fingers. Hope you guys continue to catch. Changed to weekly reports.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Nice catch Ron. Wish we had that short run to deep water like you have. On the second thought, guess it is good that we don't. With all the meat guys we have up here with the catch and never release attitude there would be no fish left.

Don't know about that sun. Having to wear sungloves and everything, you look like you are on a foreign legion expedition.

Do you ever try the reefs for cuda on a the fly. Seems like there would be some real drag burners there. Maybe with the water so clear they are wise to artificials.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might be a little over protective with the sun but with an open boat, I cover. Have had good results with cudas just never thought of reporting. They are lower than jacks, herring or ladyfish. Last year a friend of mine came down & with a yak caught a 34 lb cuda on the fly. He had a nice ride. BTW the flat off my left elbow has bonefish, permit & tarpon. We are in a 15ft channel that runs between 2 nice flats. Always guides in the area.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I would take a cuda anyday. If it wigdles, fights or burns drag it is sport to me. If you could eat them they would be sport fish. Not much different than a king or spanish mackerel.

I too hide from the sun like a vampire I come out at night.

·
Registered
13,636 Posts
well I finally get to give a report...albeit from some 1100 miles north of Ron's report.

left work Tuesday kinda upset and headed out to Sandy Hook just looking to cast the fly rod. Stiff southeast wind and a dead-looking bay had me drive out there with lowered expectations. but there had been some reports of lots of blues around, so I figure getting a couple would be a nice stress reliever.

well, the choppers came to the rescue, I took the death march out the fisherman's trail to the tip and upon walking over the last dunes after a 20 minute walk heard and saw the birds going crazy.

lo and behold, what had been reported in the morning apparently had been going on all day and kept on while I was there...thousands of 2-5 lb blues tearing up spearing in the shallows.

I proceeded to just have a kick with the choppers...losing flies, changing leaders, putting on wire, getting dozens of fish, many more I just let grab the tangled ball of fishhair etc just to fight for a while before a long-distance release.
they tore up one fly so much it was essentially a mangled hook with a couple of pieces of flash. I fairly certain that they would have went after a bare hook alone, since they bit off my wire leader a few times leaving me only with a stub beyond my flyline.

I hadn't hit a blitz like that in many years...sure I've hit blitzes, but smaller schools or shorter duration from the shoreline.

now if they were only stripers :D

stayed for a couple of hours, and apparently the blues have still been going strong all week.

just what was needed.

striped bass are a bit harder to find and turning into mostly a night-bite.

so that's it from the north jersey shore :D

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Rob, Nice size blues and just what you needed for a pick me up. Sounds like some really great action and during the day. Time to take out your oldest worst looking flies when you get conditions like that those blues will wreck flies in no time flat.

MISSED OUR FLY FISHING GRAND SLAM TODAY BY A WEAKIE
Was cloudy all day and decided to try and get a fly trip in tonight the predicted storms. Picked up Peter just as it was starting to rain with thunder and lightning off in Delaware Bay. Waited at the Marina of about a half hour and it looked like the nasty part passed to our south and it looked a bit clear to the west.

Left the dock at 4:30 p.m. and we headed to the back bay hot spot from the other day with the tide half out. First cast Peter caught a nice blue just as it started to rain.

No thunder or lightning so we kept fishing. We worked the area for about an hour and got two small bass a piece and Peter's blue with a few hits and misses.
I was using the same fly as Thursday. (It is getting a little more chewed up but it still works.)

Water was 66 degrees. Six degrees higher than Thursday with about the same stage of the tide.

With a pretty good wind blowing out of the southeast we decided to hit the inlet and then the beachfront for weakies. Got to the inlet and found pretty good waves on the beach and a heavy chop with white caps along the beach. Worked the inlet were Peter got another blue and lost another to a bite off while I put a big horse choker fly in search of a big bass with no luck.

It was now starting to get more threatening off in the distance. Before we headed in I wanted to try a shallow section with a sandy bottom. It was dead low tide with the tide just starting to turn. Thought we would have a shot as a fluke. Idea paid off Peter got a nice 18 1/2 inch keeper fluke.

Then the sea herring turned on. We were getting hits on every cast and missing more than we caught with a number of jump offs. I was using a fly that Peter made for me. It was just like the one that he used on Thursday for the weakies and herring on the beachfront.

It worked for me as the herring slammed it on every cast. About this time the storm was getting close, so we raced back to the dock and just got to the van as it started raining hard and rumbling good. Another fun trip. We are really getting spoiled as our last few trips have provided a ton of fly action.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looks like you've been doing a lot better since you started using Peters flies

[ 06-03-2006, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Splash ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ray,
Now is when I wish I lived closer to Cape May!!! Took the boat out yesterday for a bit around the Turkey Point area. Water temps at the launch were, according to my fish finder, get this, 78*. I couldn't believe it's already THAT warm in my part of the world. When I launched the boat it felt like bath water, but I didn't think it was that warm already. The terrapins couldn't stand the boiling water either. They were walking all over the access road... ;) Needless to say, I caught nothing, and my motor was giving me some problems, so I cut it short. Oh well, time to go catfishing with hotdogs... ;) Yee Haw, that's livin' in the deep south!!! :D

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Dave G, Last week I had some 74 degree on the back flats. Do you have any bait in you area. It is still kind of barren down here.

What kind of motor problems are you having. That can mess up your whole day. Hope you can get it fixed.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Rained and the wind was blowing most of the day. With the wind still blowing but clear skies I drove over to the point. Fished off a jetty for an hour and a half and got 4 herring on the yellow fly pictured in yesterdays post. Would of gotten more but didn't bring korkers so I had to fish off dry rocks close to the beach, but could see splashes and swirls off the end of the jetty.

Did meet another fly fisherman as I was leaving and he was just starting. I had never seen there before. Nice guy and we are going to try and do a trip later this year in the my boat, as he headed off to Canada to fish this month.

As I was leaving the beach I met up with the guys from the other jetty who were using spinning rods. They were getting herring and small weakies.

On the walk back to our cars the guy said he just bought a fly rod and was amazed that I was able to cast with the wind blowing as it was. Said he only used it once and seemed anxious to learn. I told him about SJCFA and gave him a card to check out our web-site.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Nice going Ray, I agree with Dave it would be nice living closer. Tried to get out early AM Friday to fish the good tide and it was storming pretty good. Had a fellow that I took last year and he couldn't go later in the morning, so after he left I went anyway. Fished from 8:30 to 11AM Fri and only managed three misses with the fly rod. Water was filthy out front from the dredge and there was trash all-over out there and in the back. Couldn't go Sat because of chores so I went out around 1:00AM Sun and finally had some fun. Ended up with 11 bass none big, went 2 for 5 on the fly rod. Got the rest on topwater plugs, man were they smashing it. I had one bass that jumped three times completely out of the water like a smallmouth. Forgot the camera in the car.
I sure hate the two at 28"s, it sucks for people who mainly fish the back, I haven't had striper fillets yet this year!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I agree 2 at 28 really sucks for guys who like the back bay, especially for those fishing plugs and flies.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Bill-
nice seeing you at the ramp and glad you got into them. If you want some fillets, call me and you can hop on my boat one night and fish the front where the large are a lurkin'
Unfortunately I haven't had the right conditions out front to get them on the wand yet, but I keep it ready for when that happens. All my keeper fish have been on rubber so far.
Tom

[ 06-04-2006, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Never Better ]

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I don't like the 2 at 28 either. Not that I keep a lot of fish but when you want one it is a little tougher to get one in the back unless you bait fish or fish the deep water in the inlet which is more difficult to do on the fly rod.

On personal trips I am only taking flyrods and leaving the spinning rod at home. That way everything you get is on the fly.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
We headed out around 5:30 p.m. with great expectations, thinking we were going to knock them dead in the back bay with higher water and great tide conditions. WRONG! Went to where we had been getting them good the last couple of trips and found the water 65 a little dirty but not bad and what we thought perfect tide. Worked it hard with a annoying wind for and hour and not one strike.

Moved to a sheltered spot where we got the herring and fluke the other day and worked it for about an hour with out a strike. I was kidding Peter, that there goes our chance for a slam as that was our best shot at a fluke. (at that time we would of taken a sea herring just to get rid of the sunk)

With the wind blowing straight in from the ocean and an outgoing tide we head to the end of the inlet to see if we could salvage out our trip with a blue or two.

Sun was getting low and it was getting cold. We both put on our coats and were almost ready to call it a night after working it for a 1/2 hour with out a strike. Being the diehard that I am I suggested we work the inlet rocks on the inside back to the harbor.

Our luck then changed. Peter hooked up our first fish of the night. A 19 1/2 inch bass that rid us of the skunk.

That warmed us up a bit and 10 minutes later I landed a 20 inch bass.

Now we are both feeling warmer and more excited. As we work our way down the rocks casting our flies so they hit or land right next rocks. Allowing the current to sweep the fly away I hook another fish. Thinking it is another bass Peter tells me to net myself. He wants to catch another bass. (He would of netted for me if I wanted him too.) Turns out to be a 22 inch female weakie. (which we released)

About three casts later I hook into another fish and so does Peter. I get a 22 inch striper and Peter gets a 24 1/4 incher.

We then start getting sea herring and hits on every cast. I even landed our first blue of the night putting us again one fish short of a grand slam. (only needed a fluke) What started out as a dismal beginning ended in outstanding fashion. We quit at 9:45 p.m. with all of our action in the last hour and a half and a total of 10 fish on the flyrod for the night.
Here is the fly that I got all my fish on tonight. Pretty simple but it worked. Peter was using a similar fly with a little smaller hook and more flash.

[ 06-05-2006, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: CapeMayRay ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ray,
My motor problem is probably a simple fuel line problem. I can't go much above idle before it stalls. This is problem that is so random, it only shows its face once a season or so. It happened to me once last year, then never again until this weekend. I think I just need a new fuel hose, that's all. Luckily I don't get too far away from the ramp when it happens, or else I'd really be in trouble.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Dave, did you put in fuel stabilizer when you winterized and change your motor fuel filter. Gas gets gummy and clogs filter and motor will not run at higher speeds. I also put a large fuel filter in before it gets to the motor.

Hope you get problem worked out. Got to have confidence when you go out.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Thanks Tom, I will keep that offer in mind, and if you get the urge to down size the average catch and cast to feeding fish give me a call.

Ray, good job on the weakies!

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yeah, put Sta-Bil in at the end of last season. Didn't change the fuel filter, though. That could be it. I know it's a fuel problem, that's all. Nothing major.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Had a fun charter tonight. Husband and wife. Was the husbands birthday and she wanted to surprise him with a fly fishing trip so he could catch his first saltwater fish on the flyrod.

Left the dock at 4:00 p.m. and with high water just going out we went back on the flats to see what we could find. Husband was a freshwater trout fisherman and the new heavier wt rods were a little difficult to cast at first, but by the end of the trip he was casting pretty well. Wind wasn't helping much as it there was a stiff breeze blowing at a bad angle for casting where I wanted to fish.

First hour was a little difficult as his wife had never cast a spin rod. I had to teach her on the job. She was picking it up pretty fast and was the first to miss a couple of fish on a popping plug. We then moved to a point with 3 foot of water where her husband hooked up with his first striper.

His birthday had been made and he was a happy fisherman. He missed a couple and we came across a spot where bass were whacking nice size spearing up against a sodbank and we could see them just blasting the bait. I was able to anchor the boat. Then drift the boat back into a position, with the help of the electric motor. Here he could get a decent casting angle considering the wind wanted to blow us into where they were feeding. He got 4 more stripers to 23 1/2 inches with a number of misses and his wife got her first striper, a nice 24 incher on a swimming crystal minnow. The spearing were so thick he twice hooked one with the fly. (from the picture it looks like we matched the hatch) It wasn't as easy as it sounded as the fish were so focused on the bait at the top grass of the sodbank. There was only a 2 to 3 foot area from the bank where the fish would feed. The boat didn't seem to bother them as we were about 25 feet from where they were feeding in 3 to 4 feet of water.

When the feeding frenzy ended we move to another area off a point where his wife hooked her second bass and he missed another on the fly. The evening ended with a nice sunset and everyone had a great night.

Wind died away to nothing just as we hit the dock and the gnats started coming out. Used a chart/yellow deceiver all night on floating line. We tied the fly directly to the line as I didn't want to inflict him with my bad metalic loop knot habit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts