BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm on time for once. I have heard from a lurker that he is catching bass, & some large bass, in the back waters. Promised him I would not reveal the spot, but I'll be there soon as I showed the spot to him. Great how things work. Hope some more of you can get out. BTW snook fishing 2 nights ago in the Indian River near Cocoa Beach was a blast.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not much of a report. I want to thank those that gave me the information about Corson's and Longport. I was in AC for our customer conference and one of the attendees and I hooked up on another list, and I told him I'd take him out an make an attempt to catch a fish. Plans had been to head out about 4 o'clock after the meetings and fish till dark. The best laid plans, and I never got out my meetings until 5:30.
I picked Alan up at Caesar's about 6:30 and decided to scrap the super secret Longport spot and head down to Corson's. Decided to try down by the radio tower, and that's real nice spot, not much parking. There was a couple fishing bait and lures but no one else. They'd picked up one blue about 20 inches. Alan's from Alabama, and fishes maily for bream and bass. He was impressed by how big the blue fish was. He was more impressed when I told him that was small, and by the set of teeth. We walked down the beach under the bridge and set up at a small point over what looked to be a fairly deep hole. Alan had left his waders at the hotel, and I was too lazy to put mine on. He tied on a small clouser and I tied on a jiggy. About the 3rd cast my fly stopped and I set the hook nad there was a swirl and the fly popped out of the water. Still not sure on this one whether it was a fish or the edge of the hole. I'm leaning toward a fish. After a bit I switched to a big bass popper and after about 15 minutes of raising a ruckus with it. A decent blue swirled at, right on the edge of the drop off. It was bigger than the one we had looked at on the way in. And Alan had seen the swirl also, so I switched him over to a popper. I spent the rest of the evening seeing if I could hit any of the turtles that were swimming in front of us with the popper, and Alan got a lot of casting practice. Still it was a nice night, with the hot breeze the bugs weren't bad, and found a spot that might be interesting in the fall.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Philly, glad to hear you are out an about exploring some new areas. I am sure the steady winds we have had for the last 5 days have made life a little more challenging. Tide should be getting better as we get closer to the end of the week and there seem to be some nice blues roaming around, just waiting to chomp up on a nice fly.

Sparse, do you think you will be able to handle leaving the keys.\? The withdraw is pretty tough to take. Some just can't handle it.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Philly Know where you were & surprised you did not connect.

Ray I am in N.J. as we speak & haven't felt the withdraw---yet:)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ron:
It was dead low tide, and there was very little water moving. I think that had a lot to do with it. If we had gotten there when I planned about 3 hours before the bottom of the tide I think we would have had more action.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Philly

You are makin me look forward to hittin that spot at Corsons around the 4th. A year ago I caught a decent striper on a hopkins with light spinner just south of the creek by the tower. This time I am flying it for sure.

Have you ever tried the point?

John

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
After the low tides of last week near sunset it was nice to get out with a good tide. Had a father and son out tonight. Father was fly fishing and son was plugging. Good amount of wind when we started fishing, but it kept fading away as sun began to set. All the stripers we got tonight were throwbacks.

Hook up ratio was poor tonight. We had tons of hits, with some that looked like solid hookups that were taking drag only to come up short. Had more losses on the plug then the fly which is unusal. Popovic Poppers, sliver with white tail and Chart/white bucktail deceivers were the hot flies. Had some nice blues up to 29 inches with no bite offs.

It was a beautiful night, father and son had good almount of action and the bugs were not bad at all.

It was one of those nights, it was great to be on the water, with fish biting and a fun charter. Kept one fish and the rest were released.

·
Registered
102 Posts
John:
That was the first time I tried that side of Corson's. I usually park in the main area on the OC side and work my way from there out toward the point on that side.
That was some interesting structure by the radio tower. Anyone have any idea how deep that cut/hole is. Must be a pretty sharp drop, as I caught my fly a couple of times on the lip.

·
Registered
185 Posts
???????SPOTS :~(((((((((((((

"Feel Free To Post Your Fishing Reports from
our Surrounding South Jersey Inlets,BackBays & Bridges....
By Boat or By Land- It's All Good....
Striped Bass,Weakfish & Bluefish etc...
As Much or As Little Information as you like
Even Skunk Reports are Ok...
BUT PLEASE NO EXACT SPOTS ,,,Thanks NS"

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Decided last minute to go out tonight and invited Steve Cole from SJCFA who lives close by to go out with me. Great night for fly fishing, with the wind very light. Action wasn't as hot as I thought it would be. We saw less swirling fish and bait movement then last night.

It was a beautiful night with a great sunset. Popping flies, and bucktail deceivers chart/white worked, but all the stripers we got were throwbacks. We did get some nice blues to 30 inches. Buddy of mine was out fishing near us and he was doing the same, all small fish.

We had a fun night kidding each other and fished till around 9:30 when it was like a mirrow and misquitoes were starting to be a pain.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Fished early this morning, light wind incoming tide. Ended up with 15 bass and a 26" blue. Caught most on a surfcandy, but did get 5 on a clouser made with flashfibre mullet color. The blue was on a popper. Water was clean wind was calm until about 6:30. Bill

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Bill, nice fishing. The water has been super clear. I think maybe too clear. When we were fishing last night you could see bottom too well and with the moon almost full a lot of light makes it almost like day. Were you fishing were I like to, outfront or where you got the weakies a couple of weeks ago? We are lucky there are a lot of small bass around. Lots of fun, but would like to see a few more bigger ones mixed in. See you on the water, I have a lot of trips scheduled for this week.

We have been using popovic poppers and good sized flies, but have notice a lot of small bait fish, maybe an inch in size, jumping out in front of our flies. Maybe a surf candy might be something for me to try, but with the big blues around they wouldn't last long.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Ray was fishing a little farther north. First chance I had to try a spot that was ok last year. Your right about the blues, I got lucky because the one I caught was on a popper that is only 1.5 in's long. I hooked him right on the end of his nose. The stuff jumping infront of the lines looked like small shrimp to me. The fish were spitting up 3in spearing.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Back from my trip out west (ok, central PA is more west than SJ...
). It was so stinking hot out there, but we got into quite a few trout. Nice country, nice scenery. Took some hillbilly back roads to get to some places, felt like I was back home in Skeeterville :D .

Some pics:

Brook Trout

Little Pine Creek Area

Fishermans Paradise, Spring Creek (two ~18" rainbows)

Releasing a 15" Golden (Palomino) Trout

West Branch of the Susky (note the red iron stains on the rocks from acid mine drainage; yuck!)

[ 06-20-2005, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Nice pictures Dave. Do you sight cast to the fish you see? Atleast you weren't fighting any crowds or jet skiis. Looks very relaxing. How come you take me trout fishing in the dead of winter when it is freezing, with high winds and snow flurries. Some how I get the feeling you don't want me frothing the water with my 9 wts and big flies. Now welcome back to the real world.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
95% sight casting, with strike zones ranging in inches. In some of the faster water areas we were structure casting (like placing a dry behind rocks, nymphing through runs, etc). But the water was so hot in the freestone streams, we were forced into fishing the spring creeks, which are mostly slow water, sight fishing areas. Granted, we probably shouldn't have been trout fishing when it was near 100* out (for our and the trout's sake), but we had already driven all the way out there so we weren't about to turn around. In the groundwater-fed spring creeks the water was in the high 50's-low 60's, so the trout weren't too stressed at all. In the freestones (like the Susky and Bald Eagle Creek), it was like bathwater (80's).

This was our first trip ever out that way, so it was more of an exploratory trip than anything. I will say that I saw about 1000 times more trout out there than any trip in NJ or NY. Those spring creeks are loaded with fish, and not all dumb hatchery fish either ;) .

No crowds, per se, but that was only because no one else was stupid enough to be fishing in 100* weather

We also got to visit the mecca of the shoobies, Jersey Shore, PA. It was quite uninteresting ;) .

[ 06-20-2005, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice Dave & thanks for sharing. Didn't know you joined the "trout-weinies". Myself being a charter member.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I am a charter trout weenie as well. I started out in freshwater long before I took the dive into the salt, though finding a good trout stream close to the ocean around here is tough

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Went out last night with a father and son, who do a lot flyfishing for trout, and smallmouth. Started out with a strong northeast which brought in higher than normal tides with the almost full moon tides already. They were having a hard time adusting to the heavier saltwater rods that you have to load to cast and strong winds didn't help either. Slow start, was able to raise bass with a popping plug but couldn't get them to hit a fly.

It was a beautiful night and I believe all the bait and fish were way up on the banks.

When the tide turned the fish turned on. We ended up with 7 bass and no blues. Everything was small and had a number of hits. On the outgoing we had bass slurping grass shrimp all around.

Striper was the first saltwater fish son had ever caught on fly rod.

Went out this morning with father and son. Dad was fly fishing and son was plugging. No stripers just blues and all the herring you would want. I ended up casting for the son and he did his own stripping and he was catching them good.

Here is son with his first flyrod fish. Now he wants his dad to buy get him a flyrod so he can learn to cast. Tried the back a little, but water was way too clear, and too much sun, had a couple of swirlers.

[ 06-21-2005, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: CapeMayRay ]

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Been burning the candle at both ends this week. Got out last night with a plugging charter. Super strong full moon tide and southeast wind made fishing rough at the inlet. Picture makes it look much nicer than it was. They wanted to take home some blues so we hammered them for awhile. They were ripping into bait fish and what looked like small bunker. Did see a few bass taken from the rocks by shore anglers, but with the water and wind we couldn't get into that area and it would of put us right in front of where they were fishing.
Strong wind made fishing more difficult than it should of been.

Before dusk we headed off the the flats and the wind seemed to pick up even more. It really got cold as the sun started to set. We were wearing hooded sweatshirts and it felt like april. We picked up some small bass on popping plugs.

Full moon coming up was nice but it wasn't a pleasant night with the cold and wind.

Did a fly charter this morning leaving at 5:00AM. Beautiful calm morning. We worked the inlet and rocks catching only blues with nothing super big. Worked the beach area catching herring and more blues. Got fish on a number of flies, jiggies, deceivers, clousers and others. Did see one guy catch a 34 or 36 inch blue on a bucktail worm combo along with a throwback bass. About 8:00AM the wind kicked up out of the southwest just enough to be a pain. Went to the flats and just couldn't hook up with a striper. We had 5 or 6 swirlers and followers. They would hit, but no hook ups.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts