BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Didn't go fishing this weekend, but was close enough to water to want too. Went up to a Bed and Breakfast for the weekend up in Bucks County for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Did the Lambertville, New Hope, Peddlers Village, and Doyles town thing. The water on the Delaware River really looked great. It was nice and clean, compared to other times I have gone up there and the current didn't look too bad. Didn't see a single person fishing anywhere, othewise I would of given it a shot.

Will try for some pickerel or bass before I put the boat in the water.

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Looking good there Ron. What we would all give for a nice day like that on the water.

It was nice here today. In the 50's and I took the boat cover off to start waxing and charging the batteries. Finally feeling a little like spring and this weekend we go to daylight savings so it will feel even better.

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Starting to get the itch. The warm weather this week and the daylight savings time got me energized and excited about fishing.

Really must be maturing as I was able to control the need to catch a fish. Spent the better part of the weekend, cleaning up the yard of leaves, trimming some branches, cleaning up the beds, doing some mulching, fertilizing and put down the crabgrass killer. Figured I would knock out all that nasty stuff now so when the fishing gets good, you can color me Gone Fishing!

As a appetizer I pulled the cover off the boat and did some work on it. Content to take my time and detail it out and load up the gear for the season.

Most years I rush like a maniac and get it in early and find I have to wait for the water to warm up to a level where the fish will take a fly. This year I am going to try and relax a bit and compensate with some fresh water fishing till the salt water warms a bit.

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Yea John, one of those would be nice. Going to try and fish with a fly club member on Wednesday for Crappie. He has been getting them pretty good on small flies. (The flies are smaller than the clips I use in salt water) Hard part is going to tie those little bugger on.

· Registered
7,320 Posts
It would be interesting to see what catches. I am definately going on Wednesday. Guy I am fishing with has a 5 wt for me to use plus all the flies. I would be nice to see what works for you. Hopefully I can post what works for us on Wednesday.

· Registered
7,320 Posts
I hate to disappoint you guys but I fresh water fished on Wednesday and Thursday without a clip. (you guys would of been proud of me.) I went fishing on Wednesday with a friend from the fly club. Got to his house and he said with all the rain, the creek we intended to fish was all brown and really running hard, but there was a small pond where he thought we could catch something.

When he said small pond, he wasn't kidding. It was about a 1/3 of a football field in size and very shallow. He said there were small bass, crappie and sunfish there.

I told him I wanted to go for bass and he gave me a neat little swimming fly that he had been getting some bass on the week before in the creek. I fell in love with this little guy and intend on making a couple larger ones for saltwater. The swimming action was super.

After about 4 casts I got a hit and was feeling good. Jim put on a dinky little brown fly and soon started getting hits and hooking up with crappie, sunfish and small bass.

On my much bigger fly, I got 7 hits and one hook up and jump off of a small bass and stubbornly refused to put on a small fly. finally after Jim landed his 12th fish I gave in and put on the small fly and I started to catch. Heres my first big monster.

I have to learn to tone down my strip sets as I just about yanked the fish out of the water on the strip set, but I got it down after a few fish.

We only fished for a few hours and it felt good just to get out and get a little wiggle on the line.

Thursday morning I had a little bit of time so I headed up to a small pond near where my daughter lives to give it a try for a couple of hours. It has decent fish in it but it is super difficult to fish with a fly rod as there are not many open area near the water. (Trees, vines and wild thorny stuff)

I found a gap inbetween a few trees where I could get a fly out. I was using my 8 wt and a fresh water reel that I have and it cast pretty well.
Fishing was pretty good. I got 5 nice yellow perch and one small bass before a tree ate my fly and it was time to head home.

I do not know what type of fly I caught it on. I have a collection of small flies that I have picked up at garage sales or that have been given to me. I think I have a fairly good idea of what will work on panfish and bass as I can usually find something that will work. (Trout that would be a whole new ball game.)

Here is a close up of the fly that was working.

Had a fun couple of days playing with the little freshwater guys and was even got stopped by a conservation officer who was checking freshwater licenses. He was pretty cool, asked what was working for me and gave me a few tips on a couple of spots that seem to hold bigger fish, plus he gave me some information on a couple of other lakes and some specific spots.

· Registered
7,320 Posts
I have 10 fly rods and my lightest is 8wt. I had a 3wt once but tried it striper fishing one night while catching 15 inch stripers. Had a blast till a and bubba bass came along and broke the rod and ripped the reel right off the rod when the 20 feet of backing ran out. (Learned you don't anchor up when using a 3 wt in salt water.

Guess I will have to get a small set up or just catch bigger fish.

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Hip is not bothering me at all. Never even thought about. There isn't anything other than high impact activity that might stop me from doing anything. I have been riding my bike and doing everything else. Now, I just need some nice warm days to finish up cleaning and waxing the boat. I am sure I will be doing a few more freshwater trips before I get my first shot at a bass in the boat. Pickerel is next on my list.

Might be awhile before I get into tying small flies. Right now they are a pain to just tie on the leader. Might have to wait till I use up my whole collection of small ones.:D

· Registered
7,320 Posts
The yellow perch were all just about the same size. They might of been spawning. Black Friday when I fished there I was catching yellow perch but they were all small about 6 inches long.

Did learn from Jim on Wednesday that very slow stripping was the key to catching and that you could watch the end of your floating fly line and watch for it to stop or move out. For the most part from my salt water fishing I tend to strip too fast. It has worked for large mouth and pickerel, but on the pan fish the slow strip it what was needed.

Want to give a try in the Delaware River when the stripers come up after the herring and see if I can get one on the fly.

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Jim gave me the two flies shown. He used the regular thin foam and he did gule the foam together. The total lenght of the foam body is 1 3/4 inches long. He had some smaller ones that he made too. I do not know what size the hook is. If I find a hook chart that I have around I will let you know. I throw all my hooks in a compartment box and none have the size on them. When I tie I just pick a hook the size I want and work the fly to the hook size.

I will post my saltwater versions when I make them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.