BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, late again although I'm still on Key West time so I figure I'm early. Hope some more of you can get out. I'm reading a lot of catching reports on other forums. A fly will work this time of the year if you get it out of the vise & in the water. Same, same down here. Water temps low 80's a few tarpon around, several hook ups on bait, still none to the boat, but most of the action is bottom fish. Have had the tarpon fly rod out more this week & really gave a few large tarpon something to chuckle about during the last couple of days. Hope you guys get out.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet but have one close by that we will look at in a couple of weeks. None of them in this area are lit. Friend 2 Sat. ago went 4 for 5 with a local guide during the day on a bridge East of Big Pine.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I was there last march and hooked lots of fish off of the bridges. We didn't land many because we were fishing off the bridge or very close. But it was during a full moon and even though the bridges weren't lit there was a distinct shadowline when ever the moon was full and at the top of the sky. One night a friend and I hooked about a dozen a piece. We fished them the same way we fish the bridges in jersey with plastics on a 3/8 or half oz jighead. Only I found thatthe Tarpon were less picky then the stripers. I think if you had a boat anchored just above the shadow line in these stituations you could have hooked a bunch on a white deceiver.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Had to go to the hardware store this morning and thought I would check out the point with the tide half down. Water looked dirty but nice. Decided to fling the fly for a 1/2 hour which turned into 1 1/2 hours. Got 4 hits and 2 sea herring on pink and white jiggy. Saw two other guys fishing both got nothing that I could see. One was using clam and other rubber baits.

Thought I saw a super nice swirl, but it ended up being a seal that came around the end of the jetty. Buy the time I got my camera he must of been fifty yards away and looked like a pin head in the lense.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
After earlier in the week getting bass on flies and plugs in 49 degree water, I thought it would be a piece of cake from here on in.

Buddy who likes to plug called me and wanted to try the back with high tide being around 6:30 PM. We went on to back bay flats. The water was very clear and water was 50 degrees. Set up of a 6 foot deep creek that empties a lot of sod bank area and drains into 4 foot flats area. Water was 51 coming out when we started and got to as high as 53. Guess with a high in the low 60's and mostly cloudy it couldn'w warm up too much.

Buddy was using swimming plugs and I was using flies. We could see fish swirl every once in awhile. Buddy decides to put on a popping plug and the fish would swirl behind it and follow and everyonce in awhile hit it real soft. I was trying every fly I could think of and with every type of retrive. Had one hit on a deciever and one on a crease fly. I even tried shrimp and crab flies figuring maybe they were keyed in on small stuff. Creek mouth was only 30 feet wide and we were covering it very good. I tried different colors and everything I could think of, with slow, fast and varied retrieves.

We worked it for 2 1/2 hours without a hook up. Was getting cold and we had to be in by 9:00. It was a very strange night. Not use to getting so many lookers and no takers. Only thing I could think, was that the water was just too cold and they were just not aggressive.

I am sure a hunk of clam or blood worm and they would of nailed it good. Tough night.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yep, sounds like they were hungry but sluggish. That's a good sign that you were getting follows to topwater baits. It means it should bust wide open soon enough.

Nice to hear the water is clearing up, too!! It's already better than last year at this time.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Not a fly report, but did get out this morning with a charter. 39 degrees outside when I got up and very foggy. Turned out to be a great day. It would of been a beautiful fly day. No wind to start and calm seas. Tried the beachfront for weakies with no luck and worked the jetties and got some small stripers and first blues of the season. 49 Degree water.

Headed to back bay for some clam dunking where we got more bass 20 inches to tweener size along with a mess of blues up to 24 inches. Water back there was 53 degrees. Very pleasant day, even with out the use of fly rod.

On the way back to the Dock I saw two fly fishermen fishing east of the now 1.00 bridge. Looked like they were trying for weakies. Both wearing wide brim hats. I didn't recognize them and didn't want to come in close to see how they were doing and spook any fish they might of had a chance at.

Weather still a problem, was trying to get a father and his two boys out tomorrow morning but they are calling for East winds 20 to 25 and rain, not a great day to introduce kids to fishing.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talked with Red last night while he was fishing. Start of the outgoing, His ladyfriend had one on & he had seen several breaking. I got off the phone so he could go back to casting. She was spinning, he was flying.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Wind blew strong all day. No rain till late in the day. With the strong east winds back bay is really flooded. Canceled tomorrow trip with more of the same only with higher winds, talking about winds up into the 50's tonight. Going to be a long weekend.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Got up this morning and glad to see no rain, but the wind was blasting. Stopped by Marinas and looked like no one left the dock for the most part. Decided to drive to the point and see if there was anyplace to fish with the high tide.
Pictures tell the story. Felt worse than it looked with the wind blasting.

I talked to a few guys bait fishing and they only had sharks and skates. Didn't even take the rod out of the truck.

Did talk to Peter today, (one of our new club members) I told him to try this area. He got a couple of herring off one of these jetties on Thursday and said he had a big spotted fish come up and miss his fly right at his feet in the wash. Asked me if I had any idea what it was. (He is from England). I told him it was Weakie. He couldn't believe it hit right at his feet in the wash, just has he was lifting his fly out of the water.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Talked to a friend from Northfield who caught 4 bass to 35 inches from the Longport jetty on Friday. Was not flying, but from what I hear, there are some bass in the area.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
No fly fishing today. Had a mom, her husband and young son out. Ended up in the back bay and covered up with bluefish, all which were nice size. Got them using clam and bucktail squid, while anchored, trying to stay out of the wind.
Not a single striper and had many bite offs.

Wind died down quite a bit near sunset. Was thinking about hitting the point, but Wind took it's toll on me. Maybe tomorrow morning. Pretty cool out tonight. Sure doesn't feel like May.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Tried the jetties pictured on above, this morning and nothing, not even a hit. Fished the incoming tide till almost high. Water was very brown. One bait guy had some skates and two others throwing rubber baits had no hits either. Beautiful morning.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Got into some fish this weekend. Pushed through the snotty gale on Friday for 13 hours and managed a 20" striper on a flatwing and two 5lb blues on pink jiggies. Also saw the biggest weakie ever caught to date. Must have been 20lbs, not a fish story!! Broke off at his feet, an utter shame. His rod was doubled over backwards and upsidedown with that fish... Not on the fly, but still a good fish.

Same spot, way early Sunday morning got a 24" striper on a herring pattern, but the water was SOOO cold from the wind the day before that the weakies were turned off. Had to dead drift the fly along the bottom to get any response. The fish are there, though.

[ 05-09-2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Glad you got into some fish. Sounds like you really had to work for everyone you got, but atleast you were catching. Nice Job. Now get that boat ready.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Little more info if possible on the "20lb Weakie" please.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Sorry, sworn to secrecy... ;)

I will say that I was standing right next to him when he got the fish. He wasn't able to move the fish at all; it decided when to come in and when to fight. We could both tell from the fight that it was a trophy weakie, more than 15lbs, closer to 20. He got the fish to his feet and just started to back up to land the fish on dry land when the plug pulled from its mouth. Knowing that the NJ record is 18lb +/-, it was a very humbling experience, but at the same time an awesome sight.

All that really matters from this tale is that the weakies are here. Go out and fish for them!!

[ 05-10-2005, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts