BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some good reports last week & a few nice pictures which are always good to see. REN & I started at 3 this AM by a local bridge last of the incoming, 51-56 degrees. 1 pop & no hits. Did some sod banks up a creek which was some good casting practice. Found some boils (small) in open water just before light that turned out to be herring. Going to try some floundering later this afternoon. Have not caught any on the fly rod this year. Last year at this time we had several. A good weeks fishing to you. Ron

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was 2 for 3 at a local bridge before daylight. all on small deceiver. Wife met me afterlight and we floundered for 2 hours, 3 but all throw-backs. Ron

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Had another good night. It was calm all day until I got in the boat at 6:30. Wind was blowing off the ocean again and that put my plans for hitting the beach front for weakies out. Ended up with the tide just about high in the back bay. On the way to the spot where I got fish on Thursday I found a creek with some flats, in the backbay where the water temp was 70 degress and there was alot of bait activity on top of the flooded grass on the sodbanks.

On about the 10 cast I hooked up a bass, but lost it. Worked the area hard and hooked up a 26 inch bass. The water where I got the bass was 3 feet deep. After working the area for awhile I went to the spot where the fish were the other day. It was only a 1/2 mile away but the water there was 55 to 58 and no signs of anything, so I went right back to where I just came from. Searched around and found a shallow creek mouth with the outgoing tide. Two foot of water but it was 72 degrees. Caught one blue and a 20 inch bass and then had a blue eat my white deciever. All the fish fish were within 8 feet of the sod banks. Couldn't stay as long as I would of liked, cause it was getting dark and the water level was dropping fast and the wind was blowing me in toward the shallows.

Warm water + bait = Fish. I released all the fish. Both bass were ugly. The bigger one was fat and healthy but only had 25 percent of it's tail, and the smaller one had a big patch of messed up skin on one side and the other side has some gashes and messed up skin. Took pictures of both because they were so weird.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Here's one of 'em. Odd.

Hmm, I think I know why you're catching these messed up fish. You're catching them on the white deceiver, not the Steriod Jiggy. Only self-respecting fish will strike the Jiggy. You are getting the bottom-rung fish, the fish at the low end of the ladder, the junk fish that are stupid enough to go for anything other than THE Jiggy ....

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Thought I could duplicate the effort tonight, but different day, different fishing. Looked like conditions would be exactly the same. Got a bluefish on a deceiver after hundreds of casts. The snot grass was thicker than I have ever seen it. Right around dusk I couldn't take it anymore. I put on a popping plug to get away from the snot grass. It worked and in that shallow creek mouth I got 4 super small bass 19 to 21 inches long.

Dave, thanks for putting that ugly striper up. The wound looked like it was old and healed up. It fought good. I didn't notice the tail till I got it in the boat.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ocean City area

Fri 5/14 - dusk/night, 1 blue, 1 lost bass
Sun 5/17 - dusk/night, 1 small bass, 1 blue

Fish came at the top of the tide through the first hour or two of the outgoing. Lots of anglers last night, very few fish caught, including the clam dunkers. White seems to be the color of choice at the moment.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
I must be living right. Had a one guy out on a one man charter this morning at 4:30 and there was zero wind. He was a spin castor. After he caught 5 bass and missed a few he insisted that I fish too, which I don't do when I have a charter. He got 9 bass in all and I had 5 only one of which I got one the fly rod. He didn't want to give the fly rod a try which was okay. He caught all the bigger fish. Two keepers and a slot the others were 18 to 22 inches, and all the fish were released. All our stripers were caught in the ocean around jettys and the inlet.
We tried the flats for 15 minutes on the way back to the dock. The tide was up, there was too much light, no wind and knats that could eat a horse. He got two blues and I had one on fly and back to the dock by 8:30 I was using lavender/pink jiggie, but think a white deceiver or something alittle more flashy would of worked better, cause the fish were eating up the silver blue yozuri minnows like there was no tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
I must be living right. Had a one guy out on a one man charter this morning at 4:30 and there was zero wind. He was a spin castor. After he caught 5 bass and missed a few he insisted that I fish too, which I don't do when I have a charter. He got 9 bass in all and I had 5 only one of which I got one the fly rod. He didn't want to give the fly rod a try which was okay. He caught all the bigger fish. Two keepers and a slot the others were 18 to 22 inches, and all the fish were released. All our stripers were caught in the ocean around jettys and the inlet.
We tried the flats for 15 minutes on the way back to the dock. The tide was up, there was too much light, no wind and knats that could eat a horse. He got two blues and I had one on fly and back to the dock by 8:30 I was using lavender/pink jiggie, but think a white deceiver or something alittle more flashy would of worked better, cause the fish were eating up the silver blue yozuri minnows like there was no tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Ray A report tlike that should be read twice. Good job & thanks for the repost. Ron

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Hey Ray,

Me and Hipkvw caught a glimpse of you fishing this morning. We were on the Opposite Jetty you were fishing. we were Togging....Hint It was a Long walk for us...LOL

The bugs were ridiculous, Im glad i brought 3 different bug killers!!!!!

We got 4 keeper Tog (released) because they were still on the spawn real Fat.

Good to see you in the day...

[ 05-17-2004, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: FISHNFOOL ]

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Fishinfool, It was a beautiful morning yestersday. We had no bugs till we tried the back bay. As much as I hate wind, you need alittle sometimes to keep the bugs off.

Hit the point this morn on the rocks, cause I heard of some weakies being caught. Can't prove it by me. I caught 2 small bass and 2 herring on a small pink/white jiggie. The herring were bigger than the bass. The worm guys got some herring and some small bass, but no signs of a weakie.

Did see a 6 foot long brown colored shark charging into the herring. It even did a head over heals tail flip like a mako. I never saw that type of shark do that one before. Then it cruised right up the side of the jetty.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Its that time of the year when i DONT like to wade fish, a few years back i was in the back of Avalon and a 6 footers was cruising between me and shore..
There on the spawn,like fish in the spring. seen hundreds of shark sacks on the beach yesterday, washed up.

Hope you guys who keep your fish and wade dont tie your fish to your waders, could get a nice tug on that shark bait(especially weakies)..

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Tried the jetties again this morning. No weakie on the fly for me. There was one nice one caught on jig with worm and the wormers were getting sea herring. I got 8 herring on the pink/white jiggie and missed a mess. They were thick. No stripers today but did get a nice blue 3 1/2 to 4 lb. Anyday now, anyday I hope to get my first weakie. With low tide early there were not many people fishing this morning.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Got my first bass ever on the fly on 5/14. 15lbs at 39 inches. Better than cathcing my first tuna. Caught 2 others and a buch of gators.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Got my first bass ever on the fly on 5/14. 15lbs at 39 inches. Better than cathcing my first tuna. Caught 2 others and a bunch of gators.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Dude, I wish my first striper was a 15lber! Nice fish! Some guys on here still haven't gotten a striper that large on the fly, or even with lures.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts