BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a long good one written & the computer ate it. Shortened version, Red & local friend have been doing well. I had dolphin yesterday in 550ft. Hope you guys can get out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ray
Got your email, took the boat out yesterday for the first time. I am feeling pretty good about the boat it ran well, plus we spun around the North side of the jetty and hooked into a bluefish on the first cast. The water was full of bait and we were hooking fish on every cast...
We did not see a Striper being caught but for a test run, I could not have asked for a better time. I'll be down this weekend let me know if you are around.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Glad you got the new boat out Bill. I had a charter this morning, we left the dock around 11:15. They just wanted to catch some fish so we headed out to the inlet jetties. Saw a guy who regularly fishes there and he said all he got were blues and herring. First cast we got a small striper, 5th cast we had a nice keeper bass follow up to the boat. Fished the area for awhile and picked up another bass, herring and blues.

Noticed north of the jetty there were birds working about a 300 yd by 100 yard patch. It was wall to wall blues. They were tearing up baby to midsized herring. There was nothing that they wouldn't hit. We thought there might be stripers under them and switched to bucktails with worms and metal on the bottom, but it was useless couldn't get past the blues.

His wife was feeling sea sick so we went to the back bay and tried the old clam thing. Ended up with 23 3/4 inch bass in picture and more blues.

Keep 10 of the blues when cleaning them I saw what they were feeding on. Some of the whole herring were about 5 inches long.

When I got in buddy wanted me to help him launch his new boat. We ran out the inlet and only had 3/4 of an hour to fish and got more blues and herring. Weather was beautiful today water was super clean with the wind picking up in the afternoon.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Nice reflection off the fish :D

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
You like that reflection? What do you expect in the middle of the day. I am not use to the midday sun and even got some sunburn. Give me that early morning or late day anytime. Was lucky to get bass starting out in the middle of the day with clear water and lots of sun. Guess the bass we got didn't know they were suppose to be light sensitive.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
After being away yesterday I decided to hit the point for 1 1/2. Put on a Pink/white jiggies. Got about 10 hits in the first half hour and no hook up. I knew it was herring cause the guys with worms were getting them every cast. Changed to a D Green/Chart. jiggie and I was bailing them. Was ready to leave at 9:30 not a weakie to be seen caught by anyone and decided to put decevier on and walk the beach between jetties and fish the little rip line and the drop.

After 5 casts hooked a nice 5 to 6 lb. weakie only to loose it at my feet in the wash. Hook was hanging on by a thread. Almost got it before the next wave but had short boots on. Continued to fish till 11:30 with only herring to show for the effort. Was a fun fight.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Got the word that there were some nice weakies caught this morning so decided to give it a shot tonight in my buddies new sea craft. He just put a bow mounted motor on it and we wanted to see how it would work with the high bow. Left the dock at 5:00 PM and it looked like rain, it got super cold and windy. Tried to work the beach area but incoming waves with the wind off the ocean made it tough to fish. I did get 8 herring on the fly, they were super thick. The water was super clean and almost looked out of place for Cape May. It was clear and you could see down a long way. Decided to work the back bay to get away from the wind. Water was super clean back there too. Could see bottom in 6 to 7 feet of water. Got two small stripers and missed one at the boat. Buddy had a tough night. He was using bucktail with worm and popping plugs and never got a hit all night and he is a good fisherman. It was just one of those nights. Came in around 9:00, we were both freezing, it felt like March.

Did see a 12 inch striper floating half dead in the back with it's tail chopped off and one of the stripers I caught had it's tail all chopped up. Looked like bluefish bites, but we never saw or got a bluefish hit all night, but I guess they must of been giving the bass a hard time.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Holy Maholy!! The first time I've been doing something in a long time in my off time that is not work related, and I hit a whooper.

I just witnessed some of the biggest stripers of my life last evening, surface feeding, all before dark. I don't think they were on cinders, more than likely shrimp. They were very lazily poking their heads out from under the surface, sometimes coming straight up from beneath, like a breaching whale. Some others would slowly roll on the surface then submerge again. I saw some HEADs that had to be 15" long from snout to gills. The smallest striper I saw in there was 34-35". I think most others were in the high 20-40lb range, and there were at least 10 of them that I saw. They were feeding on the incoming, just like trout. I tried to nymph a shrimp pattern to them, but they were too far out. I did have one roll on a popper/slider, but it was so lazy I don't think it even opened its mouth. It nosed it more than anything. Several other bass were leaping straight out of the water like trout going after emergers, so that's what clued me that they were on shrimp and not cinders. Of course I couldn't hook any, but it was amazing to watch. Either way, I only had an 8lb test leader on, so I don't think I'd even want to have hooked them. And the gnats were horrendous, but so is life, so I dealt with it.

[ 05-19-2005, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Wow, Dave Ashame you couldn't get them to take anything and with gnats that is like putting salt on the wound. You are good at getting fish, if you can't figure them out who can. Go back and get them another night. (SJCFA meeting tonight)
That type of action would have me trying every fly I had. Talk to you tonight about it.

I tried the point again this morning and Herring, Herring and more Herring. Would just about get them on every cast. I had a jetty all to myself and worked inside, outside the end and along the beach. Fun but enough is enough. Had to go to big deceiver just to get away from them.

Then a guy comes down with a spin rod trying to catch herring for bait. All his stuff was too big. He couldn't buy a hit. I ended up catching some for him and got him to put on a small lead head and a piece of the end of a rubber worm and he was in business.

Beautiful morning.

For anyone who is new to fly fishing and would like to get a few fish under their belt to build your confidence and skills up, I would recomend giving the point a try. A morning of heavy action and you will be ready for bigger and better stuff.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ray,
I'll be back there Friday morning with my dad, hopefully. It should be rainy and yucky out, perfect for stripers.

Bill,
I had actually thought about that, but I ran out of light (I don't want to fish that spot after dark for fear of getting run over) and the gnats had gotten unbearable. I have a very nice Puglisi floating felt crab pattern about that size in my bag, too. There were lots of large dead crabs being brought in along the banks with the tide.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Dave I had the same situatuion last year and found out too late that they wanted crabs. I managed one fish at 27"s on a olive and tan pattern. The fish was loaded with crabs that size. I have a bunch tied up now. Bill

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave Keep us informed & glad you are getting out.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Was suppose to try the point today with two other SJCFA anglers, Peter Cole, from Cape May and Peter Curran, from Delaware. We thought with 3 of us we could atleast get one Weakie. We were all excited after seen Joe Hughes presentation. We didn't even look at the forcast.

Total blow out this morning. Got up at 7:00 and lee shore or not it was honking with the rain coming down sideways. It rained hard all day but the wind never let up. Backbay had 4 footers and the Ocean was all white water.

Wind still blowing as I write so morning trip for tomorrow is off. Looks like another weekend of less than ideal weather.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Went to the point this morning after yesterdays gale and heavy winds. Jetties were crowded. I fished for 2 1/2 hours an didn't get a single hit and I tried all the flies that usually catch. Only saw a few fluke and small bass caught on bloods and there was a ton of guys fishing. (Got to love the weekday when fishing with a flyrod.) Water looked like mud. Would of went out in the boat this morning but it was still pretty windy and I didn't feel like fighting it.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got offshore today to 570ft, 81.5 water temp. several dolphin 1/2 released & a white marlin est at 65lbs. 24 min on 20lb spinning gear. Nothing on the fly. Calm flat seas, coming back we started seeing bottom at 75ft.--sorry Ray.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
We were going to head out to night to try the back bay, but the wind was still blowing pretty good and with the super high tides decided against it. Water was so high in the back just about all the sodbanks to the parkway were covered making in very hard to fish with the wind.

Here is a shot from the bridge at Mill Creek, you can't even see the creek and the other shot is the sod banks towards the parkway. Also the water was pretty dirty looking at it from the bridge.

Did talk to Rocco, he said the water was clean where he fished this afternoon. He got a bass and missed a nice one, but the wind was making it tough. He will probably report on his fishing when he gets a chance. Also said the tide comming up was making it difficut to see were the bank was.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was up at Island Beach, fishing the tournament. Ocean wasn't fishable, ended up fishing the jetty. Caught a bluefish that weighed in at 1.95 lbs, and won the fly fishing division. Caught it on an ultra jiggy, sea foam green over white.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Good job, from reading your other post, I would say it was a good day. That is about $100.00 a pound blue. I would take that one anyday.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
No fly fishing today, but did mate for a local Captain. We fished all over the rips today, saw no bass caught and didn't hear of much caught. We tried all over only to pick up large sand sharks and skates. Ended up near the inlet, where I fish with the fly rod and anchored up. Got about 35 blues up to 30 inches, more skates and sharks and one fluke. Seemed like everyone was having a tough day with stripers.

With all the rain the backbay was clear, but looked like cedar water with a very strange color. With the full moon tides, I decided to sit tight and wait till next week, hope others fared better.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts