BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't believe it is November already but it is. The months continue to fly by. I'll start it off with this AM. Got to the water around 430AM water was lower than I've had but some fish were still there. Not as many but enough. Chart. & white clouser did fine although I couldn't hook them. Was 4 for probably 12. A little frustrating but a nice morning. Going to try this PM. Catch-um up guys.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Nice report Ron, sooner or later there has to be some large fish showing up. Maybe some of those hits were herring there are lots of them down here. We would have them hit our big flies and smaller ones without the hookups like you get from the bass. We were fishing under lights so we could see them. Atleast you don't have the phosphorous. It was so bad last night I don't think you could possibly catch with the tremendous light trails. Fly looked like mini comets going through the water. I have never in all my years seen the water light up like it did last night.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Every night is a new adventure. Wind died down to Zero last night and Peter and I just had to go out. Left the dock at 7:30 and water had the same phosphorous as the other night. It must have something to do with all the silt in the water. Still looked like lights under the boat.

Worked the bridge pilings just as the tide was slowing up at the top of the tide. Visability maybe 1 1/2 feet down. First cast I nail a bass. On Peters second or third cast he gets a hit and miss. A few casts later I nail another bass and Peter gets the same hit and miss. To add insult to injury. When I bring my bass to the surface there are three or four bass trailing along with it like you see blues do. A few casts later Peter hooks up on Piling and while manuvering the boat so he can get his fly off, the fly I have laying in the water next to the boat gets taking by another bass and I get my third fish.

Really weird. Peter is a good fly fisherman and we usually go head to head when it comes to getting fish on the flyrod. We are both using the same type lines, he even put on metalic loops knots (those metal clips that I use) His fly looks just like mine as it is retrieved. I even offer him my fly to use. Wouldn't of done any good. Tide stopped and the fish were gone.

We waited about an hour for the tide to start up and the bite to begin. We started getting sea herring but the water was getting ugly. Visability was getting worse and worse and ended up where you could only see down about 6 inches.

We fished till 11:30 getting herring and I managed to get two more bass changing flies to a big clouser to get down a little in the water. At 11:30 Peter said he couldn't take in anymore. We could not figure a reason why I was getting the hits and hook ups and he wasn't. I even offered to switch rods and flies, to see if it made a difference. Both of us were casting the same spots within feet of each other.

I did hook up my fly 20 feet above me on the under side of the bridge while casting and lost my fish catching pink/white jiggie. Think that was the only bright spot for Peter as he watched me struggle with my fly line straight over my head while trying to steer the boat into the current at the same time.

All five bass were were nice and chunky 20 to 22 inches. two had deformed mouths that looked like them may have been hooked before when they were younger. Below are the flys that produced on the night. The other fly is hanging under the bridge.

With all the phosphorous, you could hook up a fish in the lights and while reeling it in, in the dark, there would be a light show under the water. Again we didn't even think of trying our usual spots back on the flats for fear that all the light would not be good for fishing.

[ 11-03-2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: CapeMayRay ]

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Well, you got to know your limitations. Peter made some new flies today and I was ready for a repeat of last night. WRONG! We got down to the boat and should of never gone out. All day the wind was honking. Looked at the rips earlier in the day and they looked like mud.

We went out anyway. Wind blowing 20 some mph the same direction as the current and water was so dirty on the incoming tide you can only see down about 3 inches. We fished for about 2 1/2 hours with maybe one hit never saw fish, bait or any herring like last night. It was brutal, could hardly control the boat with the wind and current. Not a flyrod night at all and only saw one other fishing boat chunking and they started after us and left before us. We just didn't have the smarts to stay home tonight but got it out of our system. A BIG ZERO NIGHT.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Tough one Ray.I have had to postpone Flyfishing 101 for the last two weekends.Will be down this
weekend anyway so we shall see.Grenades are not an
option!!!

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Felt bad Bill McFeeley from the SJCFA called last night to see if I wanted to fish the rips with him in his new boat and I turned him down. Rips were nasty yesterday, with one boat turning over and the wind was still honking and there was still a small craft advisory to go into Saturday.

Got up this morning to very light wind and a beautiful morning. Around 11:30 Peter called and said let's go fishing otherwise he would have to go to the Cape May Zoo with the family.

Left the Dock at 12:00 Noon, not the best time for back bay fly fishing, but it was so nice we decide to just try. Had a good afternoon. We fished for 3 hours and got three bass each on Chart/yellow and Chart/white flies.

Water quality was much better than earlier in the week. I was really surprized we did well with all the sunlight. All the fish were around 18 1/2 inches.

Only tough part, was that we were watching bass chasing minnows in the grass, in about 2 foot of water, spraying bait out and almost laying on the grass at times. We tried all kinds of flies and Peter got one of them to hit and hook up, but it was frustrating to just watch them eat away and ignore all of our offerings. All our other fish were caught blind casting. It was a very pleasant afternoon and it was warm too.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Johnny & I were at our favorite bridge around 5AM this morning, Sunday. Bottom of the tide just starting incoming. Not my favorite tide, but that is what it was. Kind of dead water & we were ready to leave when Johnny hung a very nice slot fish. Chart. & white. One of the best in the last several weeks. Of course, we stayed another 45 minutes with no more hits. Plenty of herring. Nice quiet pleasant morning.

BTW Chris, Red eye nester, was using our place on Cudjoe the last several days. Haven't talked with him about the fishing but I do know the weather was decent. Hope some of you can get out.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Sparse, a nice fish, not bad for a bad tide. You can never leave after you just catch one. I think that rule is carved in stone. Sounds like the weather was nice and you got your fishing in before the wind. When I got up this morning the wind was already going pretty good and don't believe there were many guys out fly fishing today. Are you getting most of your herring in the dark or is your bite staying good after the sun comes up?

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Herring have not made themself known until daylight. Don't know why but that has been consistant.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Was back home Saturday Philly stations where saying 6-10 mph S winds so I thought I'd take a ride down for Sunday. Couldn't believe it when I finally saw the water!! Fished behind SH so The wind was at least was from my left. Was able to wade pretty far out to the channel but water was muddy-muddy. Had one solid hit on a big chart/white deceiver. It caught me by surprise after blind casting for a long time...it was a nice walk anyway.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Thanks, Ron We have been able to get them under the bridge lights, but have not catch when the sun has come up. We fish smaller flies when we see the herring and when the sun comes up we have been using only larger flies, probably too big for the herring.

Pete, Philly stations lied. That might of been the winds up there. Just like where you were, it blew hard all day. Hope the guys down at Harkers Island are getting good weather for the Albies.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Fished Sat. AM behind OC. Weather was perfect. Caught the top of the tide and only managed one short on a chartreuse/white clouser. Had only limited time but I think I would have gotten more once the tide started to move out. Looks like some decent tides later this week around dusk.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
KayakJim, I always like out going tide best in the backbay, especially this time of year.

Been putting off fly charters waiting for the water to clear a bit and the bigger fish to move into the back and the season is zipping by. On the bright side I have been getting in a lot of persoanal fishing with Peter.

After two days of strong winds the wind died away to nothing tonight. Peter and I went out at the begining of the high tide around 7:00 PM and found the water back to a very brown color. We started with about 3 inches of visability and fished to about 10:00 PM when the water was much cleaner and we could see down a foot.

Water as 56 degrees and Peter and I each got one striper on Chart/Yellow flies.

There was a mess of herring around. We would get hits but with our bigger flies we had no hook ups. Weather was super no wind and it was very warm for a November night.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If you want bigger fish, Fish out front. There should be plenty of Big Blues and decent sized Bass mixed in. There isnt much bait in the back to bring them back there and there are tons of peanuts off the beaches.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
I here you Supafly. Water there has been very dirty. All the silt is coming out of Delaware Bay and making water very brown there too. High winds and having a flats boat I need decent days to even try it. Night has been the only time the wind has been down.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Moved Wednesdays fly charter to today and left the dock early afternoon. Water was very clean, the best I have seen it in a month. We went out the inlet and searched up towards Herefords looking for birds, bait or fish, with a good west wind. Saw no signs of life so we decided to work the out going tide in the back bay.

Wind died, it got cloudy, water was clean and 58 degrees. Should of been a perfect bass afternoon.

We got bass but they were all super small and not very aggressive at all. We had many hits and misses as we tried different flies and had to work hard for every fish hooked. Ended up with the most fish hitting very small Bobs Bangers, and crease flys.

Maybe it was too nice and all conditions were just what you would of wanted. We were treated to a nice sunset as we finished our trip.
Charter was happy with the smaller fish. Being a freshwater trout fisherman, they were his first stripers on a fly and especially liked the top water action.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Was blowing pretty good earlier in the day. Came back into Cape May and saw zero wind about 4:00 PM and gave Peter a quick call. Just as we left the dock, around 4:30 PM, the front came in. By the time we went the two miles to the flat we wanted to fish the wind was up in the 20 to 25 mph range.

First cast and about the 10th cast I had good hits on my Bobs banger and we thought we could salvage the night. It never happen, we each had a couple of hits on deceivers as wind picked up and it got dark, but the conditions kept deteriorating. It got to the point were it was like casting into a brick wall.

On the way back we took a quick look under the toll bridge lights but that was in the open and there were two foot waves. We came back in after two hours of tough fishing. Dissapointed we didn't get any hook ups, but glad we tried.

[ 11-11-2005, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: CapeMayRay ]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i spoke to Fly Ty R the other night. he's down in Harkers Island for the albie fishing, and he says that they're doing pretty good. now, i don't know if i believe him or not, but he said that they were crushing them using 8 weights. he said that he is getting lots of pictures, so hopefully he'll post them when he gets back.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Joe 8wt?? Hope he has a good reel.

Report from Indian River. Launched this AM with a friend from Cocoa Beach area & had a few hours fishing the East side before the wind blew us out. Had several large ( for me) spotted seatrout & a pompano(sp) which was a first. Going to try a couple hours tomorrow AM before the final drive to Cudjoe.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Ray i fish in your neck of the woods.Any hope for
this weekend or does the fly rod stay on the sidelines again.I know the w*** was honking today
around here. :confused:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts