BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay a few hours early. Just returned from trouting in Arizona. Used a 4wt bamboo almost everytime except once on a poontoon boat on a lake close to flagstaff. Fist time fishing with fins & it was fine except for the wind. Strong tides tonight & Johnny & I plan on an early assult. Hope you guys can get out.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Sparse, welcome back to the real world, where you have to fight mother nature and work for every fish the hard way. Hope you get them tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Tough waiting for things to settle down. Canceled this mornings charter and will try tomorrow morning. Took a look tonight. Wind died a bit but nothing great and the water still looked ugly on the incoming tide. couldn't get excited about going out. We are getting super high and super low tides.

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
am I allowed to post reports from Sandy Hook here?

well I will anyway because it is flyfishing related

went to Sandy Hook, visitor center today at lunch. Only took the fly rod: 9 wt WF9I line.

Thankfully there was a working bait pod right in the wash again. Hooked up or got follows on
3 consecutive casts with a half and half.

Total for the 45 minutes there was 4 hookups (many more hits and follows) 2 landed, 1 bite off after a long fight and 1 dropped (smaller)

Best news for me was that I caught my personal biggest bluefish on a fly rod... had to push 10lbs.

got a picture on a film camera I had in my vest, so hopefully can post it next week or so.

first time in a long time I had to palm my reel and ALMOST saw my backing... just didn't know how much
I could push this fish on 20lb flouro without a bite tippet after the biteoff, so the battle lasted 10+ minutes ( I THINK
you know how time seems) did go well into my running line and very near to the backing.

the other blue that bit off was almost the same hard battle. I had to put the butt against my chest to reel.

the last blue landed was a 3-4 lber that did a tail walk right in the wash before finally giving up, had me laughing.

So all in all a great lunchtime... just what the doctor ordered for this angler!

:cool:

[ 10-19-2005, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: rob ]

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Rob Glad to hear you were out & about. I fished the Hook in the late 60's when there were not too many flyers. Glad you had a good hour or so.

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention that is interesting.

The ~10lb blue I caught had a rusty 7/0 or 8/0 bait hook hanging out of it's jaw!

I meant to take it out before releasing it, but absentmindedly forgot after having trouble removing my half and half (forgot to debarb) then taking some pics, I gently released the brute back into the water getting to watch it casually swim away under it's own power.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Rob, great action. Best I have heard of in a long time. Great action from the surf anytime and on your lunch break, even better.

My charter for today had to go home last night and we canceled for this morning. I didn't go out but it was dead calm.

Took a look along the beach and the water near high tide still looked like mud. Didn't see anyone with bait getting anything. Went to the point and saw a number of boats fishing the rips. Water there was like mud, no signs of bait and didn't see anyone gettting anything.

Wind didn't stay dead for long. Back honking again. Going to try tonight come hell or high water. It has been too long since the last time I was out in the boat.

All the tackle, marinas, charter captains, and anglers are just waiting for something to start.

[ 10-19-2005, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: CapeMayRay ]

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Desperate men do desperate things. Peter and I left the dock at 7:00 PM with the wind honking and the incoming water looking like mud. Decided to work bridge lights, and tied up commercial boat lights.

The wind made life miserable and there was absolutely no signs of any bait any where. The water was 61 degrees and you could not see fly 3 to 6 inches under the water. We thrashed the water for about 2 1/2 hours. We got about 5 or 6 hits, with two hook ups. Both were small fish and I was lucky enought to land mine.

A big 15 1/2 incher. Would of had more, but I hung my fly on a piling and when I moved the boat close, Peter purposely broke my fly off so I couldn't catch anymore. (he just wouldn't stick his arm down three feet in the water to retrieve it.) Plus I won't have my favorite fly for tomorrow nights SJCFA meeting. We got in around 9:30 and felt pretty good catching on the fly, considering the conditions. Only saw one other boat out and he was doing the bait thing. We both needed to get out after all weather of the past week.

[ 10-19-2005, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: CapeMayRay ]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sparse
I fly fished the Oak Creek in Sedona about 2 yrs ago. Beautiful area. I only caught small natives ( under 10 inches)
How did you do?

RonF
Media PA

·
Registered
549 Posts
Tried last nite in OC beautiful night no wind. Guy with plug caught 3 and raised a 4th. Can't win this year with either fly or plugging. :( :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Sorry to hear that Edhead, We were at the SJCFA meeting on the bay in Ocean City and everyone was wishing they were out fishing. Really looked like a great night to be out. How was your water clarity?

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RonF from Media I have fished Oak Creek for 2 week every 2 years for about 6 trips. Know a few locals out there(forums are great) & we usually do fairly well. This year was the first time in the fall as we wanted to experience the fall elk hunting which was awesome. Friend uses a longbow which he made. Wife & I were not hunting, but we were in the hunting camp & blinds. A great experience. Fishing was a little slower than the spring but we did catch. Beautiful water & a great area. Do you plan on returning as I have some friends who guide at Lees'Ferry. We will be back in 07.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Dismal day in Cape May. Went to breakfast at Harbor View where me and a couple of other charter captains could look our over the harbor and watch those fishing the tournament or those that just had to fish going out.

Miserable morning. High winds, heavy rain and thunder and lightning. I love to fish and a diehard, but I was glad I was inside.

Pictures are from the other side of the harbor and make it look a lot better than it really was.

Water looked a lot clearer, which is good. Took a drive up to the ocean and it was very nasty with the rain blowin sideways. Couldn't even get a picture. There were some nice fish taken in the rips yesterday and even better ones chunking up the bay, so it is very difficult for everyone to sit at the dock.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
looks like sat.two weeks ago with 6 footers rolling over the jettys at the Point.That lightning doesn't soound like much fun.Hopefully
next weekend i can continue flyrod 101.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
What a difference a few hours makes. Around 2:00 PM the heavy rain stopped and the wind died. Tried to get a hold of Peter on phone and cell, with no luck. Left the dock in a light drizzle to try the back bay flats. First hour was very slow one hit and miss and one small 12 inch blue and no signs of bait or fish and the water was just so so. Visablity down about 1 foot and 59 degrees.

Covered a lot of ground and decided to work a creek mouth in 2 to 4 foot of water. Just about ready to try somewhere else and the bite started.
All the fish were small. First 13 bass were from 14 to 19 inches, with most being under 16 1/2 inches and then I got a nice 23 incher. In two foot of water it put up a nice fight on 7 wt rod. Ended up with 17 bass on the afternoon catching two more nice ones in the low 20's

Was using a 5 inch Chart/Yellow Deciver, casting across the current with floating line allowing a big belly in the line and just a slow steady retrieve. Even the smallest bass were woofing down the big fly. I had a high hook up ratio, but did miss a number fish.

After 13 bass, fly was getting pretty beat up from the stripers small teeth. I replaced it with new one with big red eyes to finish the day. I don't think the large snap in front of the fly was bothering the fish at all.

Never saw fish swirling, no signs of bait busting and action lasted till about 6:00 PM when the tide stopped.

Took a quick zip out the inlet where water was also 59, dirty and still good swell action. Had 4 hours of great fishing and home early. It was the hotest action I had had since Labor Day Weekend and best of all it wasn't in the dark.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ray Nice going.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Nice shots, I caught one earlier this year that was about 10 inches. Snap is easier for changing flys? how does it cast?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ray, nice job. I got out yesterday morning with the plugging gear in the wind and rain, but no action.

This evening I got out for about two hours before sunset. Nice afternoon/evening, but no fish. The west w*nd really calmed the ocean, and there were no waves to speak of, which makes it nice for the flyrod. I had a small boil behind a crease fly on my second cast, but no take. I saw exactly three baitfish the entire time.

I witnessed a pretty nice memorial to a guy that died recently. A bunch of his friends gathered on the beach at sunset, and set a small raft of some sort on fire and pushed it out to sea. No waves allowed the raft to drift out about 100 yards unhindered before the fire burned out. Pretty cool site.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Edhead, snap doesn't bother the cast at all. Just makes it easy to change flies quickly. Got to check it after each fish. It is possible for it to open. Have opened it accidently while unhooking fish.

Joe, too bad about no action. Water has been pretty dirty the last to days down here. Guys at poverty were line up this morning. Small bass, croakers and trash, but the day before it was better on the out going. I saw them just as the tide was about to go out. Everyone was bait fishing.

Peter Cole and I went out this afternoon despite the strong winds. Wanted to see if we could do as well as yesterday. Water was 58 degrees and very brown. Worst than yesterday. All the wind beating the back bay sod banks made it dark brown. Could only see the fly down about 6 inches.

After about 50 casts I hooked a nice 20 3/4 inch bass on my big Chart/Yellow Deciever. About 10 minutes later I hooked a 22 3/4 inch bass and on the next cast a 18 1/2 incher and right after that Peter got a 22 3/4 inch bass.

All four fish where nice chunky fish and had sea lice on them, so they must of come in from the ocean. We thought we were in for a real slug fest, but we only got a few more strikes and misses as the tide dropped and the water got even darker brown. It was bright and sunny compared to yesterday and very windy. We worked the area for about another hour without a strike and decided to go out the inlet and try along the beachfront with the west wind.

Had no luck at all there. The tide was just about dead and the wind had died a bit. Water there was very brown and 58 degrees, but better than the back bay. We fished it for about an hour with out so much as a strike. We had a fun afternoon and were back at the dock just after dark.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts