BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this week started off with lousy weather. Hope it gets better & hope some of you can get out. I plan on a little exploring this afternoon. Have a good-un. Ron

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Got up to alot of wind. Called my dad in Cinnaminson and he said it was pouring. We must of been in a hole. The wind stopped and it was nice out for most of the day. Went to the point and threw the fly for about 2 hours as I watched a big pod of mullet swimming along the jetty. Didn't even get a tap and nothing bothered the mullet the whole time not even a blue. Lots of people fishing there and only saw croakers, small weakies, a kingfish, and some sand sharks being caught. Lots of weed. Right now it just started raining hard.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Beautiful day today but windy. Went to the point this morning. Wind was blowing hard from the north, the bay had waves and white caps and the water was all brown. This was at the top of the tide. Went to the oceanside of the point, the wind was alittle blocked but good surf and again the water was brown. Never even made a cast. Went to poverty beach and found brown water with big surf and about 35 surfers. Not a fishing day. I think fall is here.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snuck out a little Monday AM to check out some sod banks. Not much water, not much bait, no fish. Good to get out but it was cold. Ron

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ahhh, love the chill in the air!! 46*!! Woohooo!! :D Too bad the ocean is still in the 70's.

Hit the mega super secret hush hush jetty/beach yesterday. Saw one lone mullet along the rocks. Nothing but big swells and whitewater along the beach. Winds weren't too bad, about 15-20mph out of the north (some of it was blocked by the super top secret houses
). It was super high tide for some reason (not a moon tide, must have been the longshore wind), so fly casting room was at a premium up against the storm wall. The mega secret inlet had some huge breakers, too. Saw about 20 birds working a mile offshore, could have been blues or albies getting out of the inshore snot. All in all it wasn't a bad trip, as the weather was great and the conditions looked good for stripers. Just no fish, as there is still bathwater out there.

[ 09-20-2004, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Dave, i checked it out last night, hoping to see you. There were a bunch of guys fishing, but not doing much. I watched one guy cast a live mullet close to the rocks, and some other bait scattered, but not a lot. I haven't seen much bait there, but there has been a lot of mullet a few miles north.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I was hoping there would be some good news somewhere. Went down to the marina last night, the wind died alittle but with low tide and heavy seas on the beach we didn't go out. Cancelled beachfront trip for this morning due to the wind again and low tide in the back. Can't wait to get these bad tides out of the way. By the end of the week it should be pretty good.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Late morning action in the surf. Still big waves. You can't see it in the picture but there were breakers over the north harbor jetty. Picture was take at Poverty beach. No sign of birds or bait.
What kind of fly should I use for surfers, they were all over the surf, but don't seem to hit anything. :D

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ray Surfers, definetly catch & release. Ron

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Went down to the boat tonight to net some mullet. Found alot of baby bunker with fish wacking them. Put on a bunker fly and was following them around the marina with electric motor. Caught one small blue and figured if I was going to do this, I might as well head out to the inlet and try for real fish. Wind died away and there were atleast 20 boats working the inlet rocks. Some plugging , one other fly guy, some eeling and others with live bait. End of the out going and the water looked like mud. Got two more small blues on bunker fly and 6 live lining baby bunker got one small 20 inch striper on live bunker after dark. Heard there were a few fish caught, mostly small like the one I got. Did see one nice school of mullet spray out at the end of the inlet and that was it. Still pretty good swell going. Could of had another beautiful sunset picture, but didn't have camera or phone with me being a spur of the moment trip.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
WEnt out last night tried a few casts with the fly ended up with a bonus flounder of 6.7 lbs. What a surprise after boating a few weakies of 14-17". Caught it on a bunker invitation.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I hit the creek behind my house last evening for a little kayak fly fishing expedition. I have never fished the creek before (which is odd, as I've been in my place almost a year now), as it's only about 10ft wide there. But I've kayaked it a few times, so I knew what it was capable of. And, I figure no one has been up there in at least 4 years, if not more, and I doubt they ever fly fished (knowing the people around here :D ). So it was almost virgin territory for the fly. Sweet
. I stood on my dock and heard some pops, as I normally do, and figured it was a nice enough evening to try the kayak thing. I slid the yak through the reeds (as my dock isn't really on the water; I can only get out into the creek itself at super high tide when the water comes up to the woods and under the dock) until my bow was in the creek. I felt the water with my finger and it was rather chilly, like in the 60's. Good :D . I saw some nervous water to my right and casted a little shrimpy/crazy charlie-esque fly into the mix with my 8wt. Figuring the random pops were made by perch going for shrimp, I didn't expect much. About one second later I had my first striper since a few months ago! Pulled it in and found it was a whopping 8". Woohoo, I was psyched! I didn't care how small it was, it was a fish, and that was enough for me :D . I yakked around a little bit and casted here and there, getting the same sized bass behind clumps of spartina and smaller trib mouths and such. The prevailent bait was tiny mullet, about 2". I didn't know they travelled that far up salt creeks (My dock is about 7 river miles upstream from the Delaware Bay). I saw a few shrimp jump around the spartina too, but they weren't nearly as thick as the mullet. As the sun dipped below the horizon, I paddled back upstream to the bend in the creek where my dock is. When I got near, I heard some splashing going on. As I rounded the bend, there was an all out striper blitz in progress!! I've never seen 8" stripers go so crazy over mullet. There must have been 15 or 20 bass roiling up the water and doing cartwheels on a pod of 100-200 mullet. Keep in mind this is only a 10ft wide brackishy/salty creek. I changed my fly to a tiny deceiver and caught 3 more bass in about 5 minutes. It was insane. One fish actually took the fly before it hit the water, like a largemouth would. I ended up with 6 bass total for 1 hour of fishing. Not bad. Next time I'm going out with my 2wt and a little siliclone. It'll be a blast, as the bass were nosing the mullet as they V-waked the surface and then blasted through them. I'm sure the action will be hotter out in the Bay a little later. The water is still too warm out there.

[ 09-21-2004, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave Sounds good, thanks for sharing. Ron

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Dave,

Nice, regardless of size. Nothing happening to speak of down on the flats....but soon. A few striped ones have been cruising the edges of the bars, dorsal fins and tails sticking out of the water. Mullet and spearing everywhere.

I hope the flooding up river won't turn the bay into coffee but I think that it will.

I'll try this weekend and give you a shout if they turn on.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Dave, Nice report. If there is small ones there can be big ones. With 2 wt what will you do if there is a big one? Can't believe it is in that little creek in your back yard. That is great. How about the bugs?

Steve, I keep seeing mullet along the edges of Delaware bay but have yet to see anything hitting on it other than small snappers. It should happen soon though.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Steve:
Yeah, I think the water hasn't cooled down enough out there yet. The last few nights of crisp 45* air have really helped the tiny creek cool off. But the Bay is much much bigger, so it'll take some time to cool. Blitzing 8" stripers are fun, but I'd like to find some 3 or 4 times larger :D . Let me know when things get good down your way.

Ray:
Don't underestimate these creeks!! :D I've seen the dorsals and tails of 30"+ fish sticking out of the water in tribs of my creek no wider than the fish themselves, though that was way down by the Bay. The only way they could get out was by letting the current push them backwards. I would have never believed it if I didn't see it first hand. That kind of crazy action should be starting soon as the shrimp start podding up. I'll let you know when it starts so maybe we can get your boat, or your kayak, up here.

I bet there are big stripers in my creek now, at least a little further downstream. I did get one nice hit on the deceiver that felt much bigger than an 8" fish, probably 15-20". But it was only brief and didn't get hooked. The bait should bring the larger ones upriver in time. And I've heard loud bass pops echoing over the marsh from my dock in the spring, so I know bigger fish do make it up all that way following the herring.

Don't worry about the 2wt ;) . I could handle stripers up to 18" on my old 3wt. In a kayak it's even easier, as you can let the fish pull you around. I use light tippet, like 4lb, so if I do get some monster mossback, I can break the tippet easily. Better to lose the fish than explode the rod!

Oh yeah, the flying bugs weren't bad at all. A few skeeters, that was it. I'm not going to mention anything about all the ticks and chiggers I get while dragging my kayak down to the dock, though... :eek:

[ 09-21-2004, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Dave, with the ticks and chiggers, it sounds like extreme fly fishing from a kayak. Better you than me. See you tonight at the SJCFA meeting.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spent a few hours with Ray in his home waters. Pleasant evening, Ray got one bass & we both had several bluefish, even though I tried to keep the popper away from them. First one was a first for me. I've been bitten by many different fish on at least all my fingers. One this evening I had to arm wrestler & the blue won. I got bitten on the PALM of my hand. He, or she, clamped down & Ray had to release his jaws, thanks Ray. Never have been bitten on the palm of my hand before. Pleasant evening with good company. Nice job Ray. Ron

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
It was a fun night with Sparse, We have been trying to get out for a night for some time. Weather conditions were great, alittle less wind and more bass would of made it better. Did have one bass follow up to boat one good strike and one small one landed, so there are atleast a few around. Water temps were 71 to 73 degrees. I guess I saved Ron from the jaws of death. :D That little blue probably went home tonight bragging about the big one he released. We had to laugh about it when it was all over.

Here is the man behind the name (Sparse Grey). He is an experience fly fisherman, keeps us inline on the barn and a real pleasure to fish with. We had some good conversation a few laughs and both enjoyed a beautiful night on the water together.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts