BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
from what i hear you cant go wrong with an etec... however i would like a 200 or 200ho rather than a 175 on a 22 footer. wait for the ac boat show..they usually offer an hp upgrade or free rigging..

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
22ft what? I'd also like to hear which 22ft CC you have? Both the small and big block Etecs are the way to go. Bomb has them about bulletproof now.

What engine is on the boat now? I'm not saying a 175 isn't enough, but it depends on what you want the boat to do. Where you want to go. How much of a load do you haul? How many guys do you fish with?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Good choice. Its not going to be a 50 mph boat though, Guessing top speed in the upper 30s. All depends on weight of the loaded boat.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I repowered my 22.5' hydra sport with a 200 ho etec last year from barnacle bills and it's awesome. I chose it over a four stroke yami and I would make the same decision again. Increased my mpg and mph. I can get anywhere from 2mpg to 2.6mpg some times a little more in the back bays and the hydra sport is a heavy Kevlar hull for a 22'er. The hole shot is better than any other, I'm almost on plane right away without using my trim tabs.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Make sure you get the I command gauge, it tells you everything and it's 100% accurate. It's nice to know exactly how much fuel your burning. I am taking off all my other gauges this winter because there is no need for them(wasted space)

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I've had a 150 since 2007 season. Just about 500 hours on my hour meter. No problems. Great gas mileage, low oil useage, easy starts, 3 year service interval, and very quiet. If you are in the south jersey area, Barnacle Bills is the man to see for a good deal.

When I purchased, the 7 year warranty they were offering sealed the deal. But if I had it to do now, I would do it again even without the extended warranty.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
22ft what? I'd also like to hear which 22ft CC you have? Both the small and big block Etecs are the way to go. Bomb has them about bulletproof now.

What engine is on the boat now? I'm not saying a 175 isn't enough, but it depends on what you want the boat to do. Where you want to go. How much of a load do you haul? How many guys do you fish with?
Indexed spark plugs[this went out points],water cooled ECM,and injectors that are still modeled after the injectors on the Fitch.A real winner.:rolleyes:.I would buy a Rice Burner before I would spend my money on this 2 stroker. Was actually standing with a Dealer[not an E-Tech dealer] when a crabber came in with a 2 year old E-Tec and stated that he just wanted to get that motor off his transom and get something that would allow him to work his pots and not sit at the dock waiting for the E Tec mechanic to show up.Bomb may be good at building railway cars and private jets but they don't devote the required R&D like other marine engine builders .[What has changed in their engine line-up or technology since they bought out OMC besides engines with different H.P ratings? The Marine Div at Bomb is nothing more than a footnote on their P&L compared to being the main source of Revenue like other Marine Manufactures.When the emmission standards in 2014 are in place,looks like they may have a problem.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I love my etec and i owned a ficht before it and weather or not they updated the old ficht system on the etecs ive never had a problem and i run alot of hours a year.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
When I repowered the Catfish2 a 21ft KenCraft center consel I went with a 200 H.0. E-Tec best move i made get up on plane at 3800rpms cruises around 25,hit throttle to 5600 we are haulin a**:D It is great to have the extra hp when you need it The motor sips gas when run between 3800 and 4400 rpms. I have had zero problems with the engine and recommend this engine.

·
Banned
665 Posts
200 HO on a 21 mako. Wouldn't hang anything else on this boat, maybe a 225 or 250 etec if gas and insurance costs were not an issue. 200 HO puts out 220 hp at the prop I believe. I leave this motor running when I am fishing bridges and bass bite right under the boat in 15ft of water, very quiet, smooth idiling motor. Starts instantly and idles at a very low rpm.

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
Absolutely! Wait for the AC show and talk to Barnacle Bills about the ETEC. Much better $$$ deals to be had there. I repowered last spring with a 300 ETEC on my 23 Whaler Outrage. Runs fantastic. I know Ficht had a bad name, but mine gave me many years of service. It still runs to this day, but I can't find a buyer mainly because of the Ficht name. I for one truly believe Bombardier has it figured out. All motors at some point will break down. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Repowering with E-tec

Thanks for all the replys about repowering with the E-tec. Most of my boating friends also think its a good choice. The boat is a 22ft. Angler with a t-top and 175 h.p. Mercury EFI on it. Decision now is 175 or 200 h.p.. Leaning towards 175h.p. with the price of fuel today hope its the right move.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Thanks for all the replys about repowering with the E-tec. Most of my boating friends also think its a good choice. The boat is a 22ft. Angler with a t-top and 175 h.p. Mercury EFI on it. Decision now is 175 or 200 h.p.. Leaning towards 175h.p. with the price of fuel today hope its the right move.
The 200 will burn less fuel then the 175. Your going to be working the 175 harder then you would the 200. Less RPM at crusing speed will equal less fuel burn.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Don't know what you are thinking Phil, but the difference between a 175 and 150 is about 1500 bucks, 2mph at top end and the 150 will burn 2gal hr less than the 175 if it's proped right.

Not to mention the 150 will be twisting 2" less pitch in the prop than the 175. It will get out of the hole quicker than the 175 will because of the prop. Those extra 25 horses don't come into effect until you are running 45-5000rpms or more.

Then the 150 Etec or Merc 150 Opti will match or better the speed he's getting with the older Merc 175EFI with a 30% reduction in fuel..

If you want those extra 2-3 mph and don't mind the 2gph more then go for the 175. If you want another 2-3mph and burn another 2gph go with the 200ho Etec small block.

Typical trolling trip with a 150 vs 175hp. 8hr day, figure 2 hrs to where you start fishing. 4 hours trolling. Both engines will burn the same amount of fuel trolling. The 2 hrs home. At the end of the day you'll have 8 gals more fuel left in your tank with the 150 vs the 175 and 16 gals less with a 200hp.

Yes, in ideal conditions when you can run all of the engines at their best cruising rpms, 4200 if the boat cruises at 30mph with a 150, 32mph with a 175 and 34-35mph with a 200. You spend less time running with the 175/200 over the 150, but how many days do you get to just set the throttle and left her go till you hit your fish spot?

Not to get too confusing here, but both the 150-175-200hp small block engines would be under powering a 22ft CC. If you want to go for the 200 Etec I recommend the big block version. And if you go there you are looking for speed, you might as well go for a 225. Which I would consider normal HP on a 22ft CC.

Since you already have a Merc hanging when you start pricing engines to buy definetly give Mars a call at Dads place in North Wildwood.. He can probably give you the best money on a trade.. Merc Opti's still rule the market when it comes to fuel economy and speed.. 609 522 3911

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.