BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I was mating for Andrew on his boat "Counter Proposal" our dock mate and close friend, Steve Fanelli on his boat "Post Game" were running out about twenty minutes behind us.
As we ran out the inlet, I watched a guy in a 16 ft Boston Whaler, work the inside of the rock pile for what I guessed was Stripers, as we cleared the inlet at 7.00 am.

An hour later we finally hear from Capt Steve,
and on his way to the rips he sees a guy waving at him in the water, and sees a Boston Whaler doing 20knots in a wide circle unmanned.

They rescue the now mostly frozen guy, pulling him aboard as the boat buzzed nearby. Ask him what happened and he says "the Steering Cable broke, and was thrown over the side." Lesson learned here was he did not have his safety kill switch strap on when operating his boat alone.

It took the Coast Guard a while to get control of the vessel. We have not heard the end of the story yet, as Steve has to go over to the base now to make a report.

Steve if your reading this, that man now has you to thank for his life. We all hope that an important lesson is shared here on the Barn as well, perhaps helping someone avoid an accident such as this..

Captn Joe

[ 11-16-2004, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Captn Joe ]

·
Registered
31,457 Posts
I used to have a 13 Whaler. Coming in through Barnaget inlet (not easy in that boat), the steering cable broke. I did a few circles, luckily not much traffic. Had to come in steering by hand. I blamed the guy who sold me the faulty boat, My Dad.

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Nice job Cappy, I guess with all the fish being caught down the rips, half by 2 boats the other half by the rest of the county the guy had to get his pond skiff down there. :D

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Great assist Capt. Steve and all.

as bob said, same thing happened to me on an older boat with a 50HP on it, didn't have kill switch. But as I was thrown, my hand still on the throtle, I was able to throw it back.

odd thing was it was a clean break, smooth, not rusted, unraveled, etc.

not to ruin a day of fishing for it broke as we just headed out after paying ramp and bait fees....

I straped a breaker bar to the cowling, one man on the motor, one man on the throtle ( but not to fast as the torque made it difficult to hold true)
:D

lesson learned? lanyard on current boat and only to replace cable every 5 or so years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
pond skiff? A 16 ft. whaler is a great boat for the rips on a day like yesterday. Maybe he did'nt want to waste fuel in his 25 mako on such a calm day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Stain, I know, but he's an seasoned offshore angler as well. still should have worn his lanyard though. I know I can get slack sometimes especially when its real nice out. nice save capt.steve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Stain, I know, but he's an seasoned offshore angler as well. still should have worn his lanyard though. I know I can get slack sometimes especially when its real nice out. nice save capt.steve.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was on the Miss Cape May yesterday. The boat has been doing 6 hr. trips lately. Anyhow we were going through the inlet around 9am and saw the Whaler being towed in. Talk on the boat was, "was it a rescue or something". Now I know. By the way fishing was decent!! Caught 4 bass up to 31 inches on clams. Luckly I have bonus tags cause I was only able to keep 1 bonus fish and that's it. Still a good day since I've never caught that many fish on one trip!!

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
So you know the guy, well its good he is OK and lucky to be. Believe me I know first hand about accidents and thats why they are called accidents, most people don't do what gets them injured on purpose or they would have been called onpurposes. I use that line at auto accidents to calm the people when they get nasty over who was right and wrong.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Striped Ranger,
I would have like to see the technique they used to corall that boat, Thnaks for the update,
Captn Joe

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good job steve. I took two kids into SJ marina the other day beacuse there dad took a brokedown boat into the drink. the kids were frozen and i felst bad for them. He was towed the day before by the CG and he thought the boat was ok to fish. Hey DA get the boat fixed first then go fishing. No fish is worth you kids. I hat these people.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Oh and by the way he was screaming at me for help, and I was chunking did not hear him. I did hear the lound hey Jerk off sorry for the bad words , hey who has the running boat D. a.

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Originally posted by Captn Joe:
Striped Ranger,
I would have like to see the technique they used to corall that boat, Thnaks for the update,
Captn Joe
They used a helicopter, Joe the funny thing is that boat out fished you yesterday too.
May outfished by a captainless boat and a 13 year old boy. How many drifts was it with no bent rods on the boats near you???? But still caught more than 5 times what you caught. :eek: your gettin old.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts