BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a new portable battery charger. I use my marine battery on my 14' boat for my troller, lights, bilge pump and basic electric. My motor is pull start. I presently use one (Sears) that is about 25 years old. It has three settings (2 amp and 6 amp 12 volt and 6 amp 6 volt) and I usually set it to the trickle charge and let it run for about 12 hours.

I have no way of telling how much of a charge is in my battery but just give it a charge once a month in the winter and after usage in the summer when the battery is used. Is there a portable charger that will indicate how much of a charge my battery has or when it is fully charged?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
31,677 Posts
go to radio shack and buy a cheap digital volt meter and check it 24 hours after you charge it.i sell high end volt meters,but that would be a waste of money for what you need.
A reading of 12.66 volts indicates a fully charged battery; 12.45 volts is 75% charged, 12.24 volts is 50% charged, and 12.06 volts is 25% charged.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Portable chargers are not designed for good charging. They are more designed for bulk charging, where you just need to get the charge up high enough to get the motor started.

A multi meter will work fine for telling the voltage, but you need to remove the surface charge off the plates by putting a small load on it for a few minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.