BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught this Bass last saturday at overfalls on a spot. It measured 41" my personal best, however I was disappointed when I weighed it in and it only weighed 21 pounds!! The man at the bait shop told me it was probably a resident since it is so skinny. (his stomach was empty also) Could someone please explain the difference between a resident bass and an ocean striper? Also why would a resident weigh less?

·
Registered
31,456 Posts
Resident fish just means they spend the whole year in this area.

Growing up bass generally stay in the area they're born, not very active in the winter. As they get bigger (24-30 inches) they become part of the migrating population moving up and down the coast. Feeding and active all year round.

I don't think weight has anything to do with it. Usually a fish that big is part of the coastal population.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
there is not certain answer (exactly why we need to support tagging projects) - but what Bob mentioned above is on the money and is the generally accepted theory.

MOST fish at 2 or 3 years will join the coastal migration. What causes some to go and others to stay and become "residents" is part of the big mystery.

DNA?? Weather conditions?? Multiple combos of certain factors? Who knows - hopefully one day the mystery will be solved.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
according to charts out there...do a search...as I don't want to link up to another bass site ;)

41" is 13 years old
min 23lbs
avg 27.3
max 31.0

at about 50, they go size for size.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Nice fish, he is as big as the little guy on in the picture!

I think this is a resident bass, there is a creek I stop and fish whenever I am near it and the tide is right. I caught the same striper over 6 times already. He is always in the same spot and he has hit on a bucktail, popper, fin-s, and bomber. He definately is a resident striper. I even named him.

[ 11-17-2005, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Stalker Charters ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts